Good Pub Dunham Massey Bridgewater canal

Featured Posts

We found The Swan with two Nicks pub at Dunham Massey to be excellent. Great food and variety and very competitively priced. Service very good despite being very busy (Sunday evening nice day.) Good range of drinks and Taylor's Landlord and Guinness very well kept.  Best to book at peak times. Not far from the canal if you know where the steps to the underpass are.  Highly recommended.

14 minutes ago, catweasel said:

We found The Swan with two Nicks pub at Dunham Massey to be excellent. Great food and variety and very competitively priced. Service very good despite being very busy (Sunday evening nice day.) Good range of drinks and Taylor's Landlord and Guinness very well kept.  Best to book at peak times. Not far from the canal if you know where the steps to the underpass are.  Highly recommended.

Dunham Massey or Little Bollington? I believe the Axe and Cleaver is at Dunham Massey. It, too, is excellent.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Don't forget the "only moor for 24 hours unless signposted otherwise" rule on the Bridgewater ... we got told off when we forgot it!

But how far do you have to move.  Anyway most of the boats on the towpath look like they have not moved for weeks.

Just now, Derek Porteous said:

Dunham Massey or Little Bollington? I believe the Axe and Cleaver is at Dunham Massey. It, too, is excellent.

Technically Little Bollington I believe, with my new found local knowledge.  Not far between the two though ?

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Don't forget the "only moor for 24 hours unless signposted otherwise" rule on the Bridgewater ... we got told off when we forgot it!

We met  the  infamous Sonny when we moored by the King's Ransom in Sale.We asked if it was 24 or 48 hours there as we couldn't see a sign.He said it was 48 hrs,gave us his card & said to ring him if we had any problems...?

12 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

We met  the  infamous Sonny when we moored by the King's Ransom in Sale.We asked if it was 24 or 48 hours there as we couldn't see a sign.He said it was 48 hrs,gave us his card & said to ring him if we had any problems...?

I found him most obliging when I met him as well

15 hours ago, john6767 said:

But how far do you have to move.  Anyway most of the boats on the towpath look like they have not moved for weeks.

Technically Little Bollington I believe, with my new found local knowledge.  Not far between the two though ?

Correct my mistake. Very close though, as you say. 
Some excellent walks too. 

The Swan with Two Nicks and the Axe and Cleaver are both good pubs.  I didn't visit either last year when along the Bridgewater, but here's those I did, with scores for beer and other things (not food)

COSTELLO'S BAR, Stockton Heath (May 30) 5+5+8=18 Dunham Massey brewery tap. Superb beers in a light & open not-so-micro pub. Inexpensive and deservedly popular with all ages . GBG

BREWERY TAP, Lymm (May 31) 5+4+6=15 Lymm Brewery outlet. GBG Over-trendy seating and decor. Inexpensive, but loud (live) music drove me to:

BULL'S HEAD, Lymm (May 31) 4+4+7=15 Unpretentious busy locals' pub (Hydes) with a changing selection of mainly Manchester beers. GBG

VINE, Dunham Woodhouses (June 1) 1+4+9=14 The secret pub - no sign, nothing to indicate a pub. A gem of a traditional basic village local. Sam Smiths, so good value, in fact the cheapest this year (Pint of Old Brewery Bitter plus packet of own brand crisps £2.70)

BOAT HOUSE, Astley Green (June 2) 2+3+5=10 Very disappointing Good Beer Guide (2018) pub with poor beer choice and no proper bar for non-diners. And rather expensive. Still GBG, though.

WHITE LION, Leigh (June 3) 4+5+6=15 Busy, friendly inexpensive town-centre pub with several cosy rooms and traditional decor but a VERY LOUD jukebox. Only just on the Bridgewater!