Porta Cabin Narrowboat Lovechild?

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, carlt said:

It's a good job Thor Heyerdhal didn't think like that. 

but Ra, Kon Tiki and Tigris were all thought out for purpose, and they weren't expected to shuffle up and down the cut. The shed shape shanty boat may be suited to the banks of American rivers but what range could a craft like that pictured cover on the canals without having trouble in a bridge? I don't know the area. Could it safely go far enough around there to comply with a CC licence? The same applies to the commercially constructed caravan on pontoon boats. The box on floats design just isn't great for the canals. I guess this self-build one looks higher than it actually is because it is relatively short (possibly lower than the shed on the narrowboat bow). If it has a mooring (betting not) or can cover sufficient range then okay fair play to the builder if it can be moved with adequate forward vision and control; if it's licensed, safe and isn't a hazard to other users then it's only their business how it looks. Besides bridges, I think one of the big risks here is that the bow of 70' of steel makes contact with the shed boat's vertical 'bow' wall and ends up in the 'cabin'. In the longer term it would be the integrity of the oil drums that would be worrying. That's thin steel at the waterline and replacing a compromised one wouldn't be easy.

There is always some effort that has gone into making anything that floats and this thing wasn't knocked up in an hour. Whether for fun or from necessity, self-builds should at least endeavour to be fit for purpose and not, at the end of it, wasted time, money and energy for the builder.  A 'boat' like this may be someone's hobby or the only roof over their head, we don't know, but in either case only the most mean spirited person would wish to see someone's labours get trashed or them unable to comply with the cruising range their licence requires and so lose their boat and possibly home. I wouldn't, you wouldn't. With the pontoon style craft where the floor level is a foot or more above the waterline, instead of below it as in a traditional narrowboat, there has to be a tradeoff if it is to be used on the canals. Narrower and probably lower at the roof (less box shed, more traditional cross sectional shape), a foredeck area and bow door would all help a craft like this to actually navigate without getting destroyed in the process.

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

but Ra, Kon Tiki and Tigris were all thought out for purpose... 

Sorry but I snipped all the health and safety stuff in favour of... 

LONG LIVE ECCENTRICITY AND ORIGINALITY AND RESPECT TO ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH TO DIVERGE FROM THE CLONECRAFT TEDIUM. 

Heyerdhal built his boats to prove that ancient civilisations could cross oceans in rafts built of grass, bamboo and sticks. 

This brave soul has built a raft out of oil drums and shiplap because it is better than a department store doorway. 

Shanty boats don't cause hazards for decent law-abiding clonecrafters...decent law-abiding clonecrafters' inability to cope with their boats and canal furniture do. 

21 hours ago, Peter X said:

Is that a Zebra Narrowboat Lovechild in the background? The Regents does go past London Zoo, and they're a strange lot north of the river.

19 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Dazzle camouflage to hide from C&RT Patrols.

I thought it was warning of a tight bend up ahead? ???

8 hours ago, carlt said:

Sorry but I snipped all the health and safety stuff in favour of... 

LONG LIVE ECCENTRICITY AND ORIGINALITY AND RESPECT TO ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH TO DIVERGE FROM THE CLONECRAFT TEDIUM. (i can't disagree)

Heyerdhal built his boats to prove that ancient civilisations could cross oceans in rafts built of grass, bamboo and sticks. (you brought up TH Carl)

This brave soul has built a raft out of oil drums and shiplap because it is better than a department store doorway. (yes, if that is the case we should hope it won't get trashed by a bridge or end up under section 8 enforcement)

Shanty boats don't cause hazards for decent law-abiding clonecrafters...decent law-abiding clonecrafters' inability to cope with their boats and canal furniture do. (one of my concerns was that the shed boat will get damaged because of the front wall being inches from the bow)

Carl, as you can see from the other thread about scruffy boats, I am certainly not a clonecrafter. I just don't like to see people who are already in dire straits expend their efforts and make small mistakes that can become major issues down the line. If the raft/pontoon design is to be used, all l I was suggesting was a lower, more triangular superstructure and an extra row of pallets/floats for a foredeck. The crux of my post remains the same, that  'A 'boat' like this may be someone's hobby or the only roof over their head, we don't know, but in either case only the most mean spirited person would wish to see someone's labours get trashed or them unable to comply with the cruising range their licence requires and so lose their boat and possibly home. I wouldn't, you wouldn't. '

But folk have been putting sheds on punts, rafts and old work flats for years with fewer disasters than inexperienced boaters in fully compliant narrowboats who can't deal with the boat or the waterway's foibles. 

There is little weight in a shiplap shed so I doubt very much if it has stability problems (far less than a narrowboat with a winter's worth of coal on the roof anyway) and I doubt if it has any more than the basic electrical installation. 

My guess is that the biggest risk here is CO poisoning though if they are capable of building a home then I imagine a safe stove installation is within their capabilities. 

I don't fear for their safety nearly as much as the first time hirer entering their first lock after inadequate training. 

• Greenie 4

7 minutes ago, carlt said:

But folk have been putting sheds on punts, rafts and old work flats for years with fewer disasters than inexperienced boaters in fully compliant narrowboats who can't deal with the boat or the waterway's foibles. 

There is little weight in a shiplap shed so I doubt very much if it has stability problems (far less than a narrowboat with a winter's worth of coal on the roof anyway) and I doubt if it has any more than the basic electrical installation. 

My guess is that the biggest risk here is CO poisoning though if they are capable of building a home then I imagine a safe stove installation is within their capabilities. 

I don't fear for their safety nearly as much as the first time hirer entering their first lock after inadequate training. 

Quite so. At a guesstimate 12 drums would hold up near 3 tons

There are no regulations anyone has to comply with concerning the hull, superstructure, size or shape or astetics of inland waterways boats as far as I know. You can licence anything basically if it meets the BSC, and a floating shed with no internal fittings or fixtures and an outboard is exempt from a BSC. 

There is some legislation regarding " boats fit for the waterway" or something like that, but CRT don't know anything about boats and would not be able to judge if it was or wasn't. Pretty sure they can't refuse a licence application on any such grounds. 

10 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

There are no regulations anyone has to comply with concerning the hull, superstructure, size or shape or astetics of inland waterways boats as far as I know. You can licence anything basically if it meets the BSC, and a floating shed with no internal fittings or fixtures and an outboard is exempt from a BSC. 

There is some legislation regarding " boats fit for the waterway" or something like that, but CRT don't know anything about boats and would not be able to judge if it was or wasn't. Pretty sure they can't refuse a licence application on any such grounds. 

Didn't the rules change earlier this year with the CO detector in cabin requirements? If there is an outboard now and it has a cabin, even without gas or electrics, CRT's chart makes you have a BSS cert. 

11 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

How do you know that C&RT don't employ anyone who knows about boats?

On 30/07/2019 at 14:10, RLWP said:

Here is something similar on a submarine:

3000.jpg?width=780&quality=85&auto=forma

I'm amused by the writing on the jacket

Richard

He's probably still got right/left written on his shoes!

19 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

Am I right in saying that all new boats need to comply with RCD regulations ?  This shed is obviously a new boat and it will definitely not comply. When this shed boat capsizes and someone is drowned, CaRT will be blamed for allowing it on their water.

30 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Am I right in saying that all new boats need to comply with RCD regulations ?  This shed is obviously a new boat and it will definitely not comply. When this shed boat capsizes and someone is drowned, CaRT will be blamed for allowing it on their water.

I thought RCD covered boats for sale in the EU. A self built shed on a pontoon won't be subject to them unless it is sold within five years. That was the case until recently.

Jen

46 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

When this shed boat capsizes and someone is drowned, CaRT will be blamed for allowing it on their water.

...and yet that someone has far more chance of sinking and drowning if he sits in the cabin of a modern hire boat crewed by inadequately trained holidaymakers going down a lock flight.

That someone's chances of dying will also increase rapidly if they fit a woodburner badly.

A lightweight shed built on an oil drum raft is very unlikely to capsize.

People have been putting sheds on pontoons and rafts for decades and I cannot recall a single death by capsizing.