Porta Cabin Narrowboat Lovechild?

Featured Posts

On 23/07/2019 at 20:47, nbfiresprite said:

Noted tonight in the marina.

porter cabin narrowboat love child.jpg

That fore cabin looks suspiciously photoshopped on to me. 

The boat narrows towards the bow right from the original cabin but not the box.....

Come on Dav and Pen, give them the benefit of the doubt here. We know not the purpose of the ugly box, but even if it is a (rather spacious) loo, it could easily have a door on the unseen side, or connecting into the boat. Anyway, the real question here is which bridge or other obstacle will destroy the box. For example I remember from my one trip going up the Nene a few years ago that there was a rather low footbridge somewhere (level not arched) which a normal narrow boat can squeeze under, but this one could struggle. If it has a water tank at the bow they might do well to fill it, however the Nene can also be very shallow in places. 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That fore cabin looks suspiciously photoshopped on to me. 

The boat narrows towards the bow right from the original cabin but not the box.....

Why don't you come over and have a look in person. I have better things to do in this heat then play around with photoshop.

portaboat1.jpg

Portaboat2.jpg

portaboat3.jpg

Edited by nbfiresprite

20 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is the Nene CRT territory then? Or are the bridges all on the connecting cut?

Must do some Nene soon. What sort of anchor do I need? :icecream:

Mike, I think this boat could come to a halt in the waters of one of several navigation authorities. From this "somewhere in the Fens", nbFireSprite appears to have local knowledge that it'll probably hit a bridge belonging to the Middle Level Commissioners before it gets to Stanground. But if not, the buck passes to EA for the Nene (about 40 miles I think to Northampton), then stops with CRT if they reach the Northampton Arm.

Surely logic would have you question why everyone's not already done it, before building such a box. Thoughts that come to mind are

1. Unless those windows can pop out in an emergency it doesn't look as though there is any means of escape at the bow, so as Dav and Pen notes, a BSS fail

2. If a big cube shape is what is needed then at least make it in such a way that it can be erected when moored long term and taken down when on the move

3. If you need a permanent structure, accept that it should fit within the profile of the boat, a design tailored to go through those arched things called bridges, and put in a bow door.

If this is a fixed structure, it doesn't have an escape hatch and the plan is on going to the brights lights of Lunnun then it doesn't just seem ugly (an owner's prerogative and none of my business) but unsafe to both the boat's occupants and other canal users which is where it should become of concern. It would be too easy to get trapped in the bow in an emergency fire/sinking and the helm can't have anything like reasonable forward vision on the move so is probably going to be making contact with a lot more things besides bridges.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

yesterday on the Thames near Henley I passed an American style 'shed on a sled' powered by a 9hp Honda outboard - I believe it was a demonstrator.    What is the attraction?

You mean this thing?

raftboat.jpg

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

....and CRT licence this????

I don't get it. Love home builds, shanty style etc but any craft is supposed to be safe and fit for navigation and despite its short length this pontoon raft boat is way higher than a traditional boat. If it's on a mooring, no prob, never move. But, the addition of that cycle bit on the back suggests it will move. Not knowing the area, how far can it go without meeting a low bridge? It's not thought out as a boat at all. It's a shed, on a pallet base, on oil drums