Water saving measures

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

This is Foxton this evening 20:34hrs. The flight was locked at 16:00hrs as restricted boat movement times still in operation, supposedly to assist with back pumping. If there is a need to run water down towards the Soar could they not extend boat movement times to the benifit of all? 

IMG_20190723_203400.jpg

9 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Again! That's how it was all summer last year, often with paddles open all the way down while the locks were closed. And still the pounds towards Leicester were empty.

So annoying last Tuesday we arrived at the top lock at 1155 and we were seventh in the queue, they let six down andbythe timethe six came up it was too late. They didn’t let us down to the cross over point which would have made sense.

they locked the flight at 4 then wound the paddle up to run the water down and it was only put down at 9am. Even the volunteers were confused as to why they couldn’t run boats down.

i now see there is a stoppage south of Kilby bridge next week to help sort out the leaking lock. What a waste of water and lack of transparency 

BC18A124-43D5-4669-9C1B-1F400BC569A0.jpeg

Edited by Tuscan

A friend of mine was waiting at Watford this morning while they ran water down for 45 mins....he couldn’t see why a boat didn’t go down with it..... I know people didn’t always see eye to eye with the lockies like Mick & Crystal but at least they could sort the water & get boats moving. 

3 minutes ago, Big Bob W said:

So at both ends of this long pound we have the the gates padlocked, no boats moving, but the paddles open letting water down. Am I missing something here?

Ahhh it looks nice & full of water for those walking past...life is better by water don’t you know....??

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, frangar said:

A friend of mine was waiting at Watford this morning while they ran water down for 45 mins....he couldn’t see why a boat didn’t go down with it..... I know people didn’t always see eye to eye with the lockies like Mick & Crystal but at least they could sort the water & get boats moving. 

Thats unusual. Everytime Ive been at the bottom they have come and told me they are going to let the top boats down first to bring water with them. Perhaps there was someone different on today ?

Just now, PaulJ said:

Thats unusual. Everytime Ive been at the bottom they have come and told me they are going to let the top boats down first to bring water with them. Perhaps there was someone different on today ?

Not sure....my friend has been boating for years including the last days of commercial canal carrying...he wasn’t impressed with the waste of water! 

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Not sure....my friend has been boating for years including the last days of commercial canal carrying...he wasn’t impressed with the waste of water! 

Rightly so and I am suprised.I like the  Vollies at Watford -I generally find them to be on the ball and practical being as some are long term boaters themselves.

It's not joined up management of water anymore

It is doing what someone in an office says is the best way.

I have no doubt Graham Davis will be along to diss me again, but this is what is happening on the ground.

One of the local boaters was locked in Buckby flight at 15.15 last week, two locks from the bottom. He had to take an extra day off work due to the Volockies need to go home for Sunday lunch.

I wouldn't normally advocate causing wilful damage to C&RT property, but in the case outlined ^^^, I reckon I'd be getting the bolt cutters out from the boat toolbox (always carried a decent set of cutters for the odd mattress spring and I know they would make short work of up to 8mm chain) and I'm sure there are no cctv cameras on that flight. (At least, not when I was using it).

Bit more info - water still running down the locks at 08:00. Moved along the summit and the levels are topping the side weir about 1/2 mile along. So if the paddles where closed the water would be still waisted. There must be an explanation for this action. Just can't think of one.