Box Mast colour?

fittie

Featured Posts

Just a thought, what colour should the bit that goes into the box mast (the bit with the looby) be on a GU boat painted in the 2 tone blue scheme. Most I have seen are red but would it have red in 1935/6 when the boats were new as no other bit of a GU boat was red other then the fleet number. I wonder if this is a FMC thing that is spreading to all historic boats?

Also what is that bit with the lobby called? Top mast, middle mast?

Cheers.

4 hours ago, fittie said:

Just a thought, what colour should the bit that goes into the box mast (the bit with the looby) be on a GU boat painted in the 2 tone blue scheme. Most I have seen are red but would it have red in 1935/6 when the boats were new as no other bit of a GU boat was red other then the fleet number. I wonder if this is a FMC thing that is spreading to all historic boats?

Also what is that bit with the lobby called? Top mast, middle mast?

Cheers.

It may be my imagination, but I seem to recall it normally being painted red oxide, which was the same colour as the top plank,.

Edited by David Schweizer

Ooooh, I hadn't thought of light blue, I assume you are thinking of Grand Union light blue. 

Red oxide was my thought initially as it would make sense to me. The painted surface would wear with the mast being raised and dropped and could be "touched up" with the red oxide whenever needed.

Has the bit in question got a name?

23 minutes ago, fittie said:

Ooooh, I hadn't thought of light blue, I assume you are thinking of Grand Union light blue. 

Red oxide was my thought initially as it would make sense to me. The painted surface would wear with the mast being raised and dropped and could be "touched up" with the red oxide whenever needed.

Has the bit in question got a name?

Jim Shead's glossary of terms has no name for the wooden section into which the luby (or) looby is fitted, but Carl's suggestion of top mast seems to be appropriate.

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/glossary.php?st=A&ed=D

Edited by David Schweizer

7 minutes ago, fittie said:

I've always called it a top mast but when looking it up I found middle mast and as I get older I've come to realise that I know

less and less about canal boats and boating.

Well the Walker Bros Ltd shipwright and foreman for 30 years Wally Staines described it as a top mast so that's good enough for me.

Drawings by Edward Paget-Tomlinson, gives the names, but not the colours.

I think Dave Moor showed a photo a while ago showing two luby's with droppers. The top masts were red oxide and black.

The books of John Hill may help?

Terminology.png

Edited by Ray T