We may be taking this CCing thing too far...

magictime

Featured Posts

I'm starting to wish CRT would introduce a maximum distance for CCIng!

We set off from Leeds on 25th March and cruised along the Aire & Calder and Calder & Hebble to the Huddersfield Broad and Narrow, then via the Ashton and Bridgewater to the Trent & Mersey, which we took all the way to the Trent at Nottingham (with a detour up the Caldon),  then went via the Soar to the Leicester LIne of the Grand Union (detour along Market Harborough Arm), then via the GU to Braunston and on to the Oxford, Coventry (detour along the Ashby), Birmingham and Fazeley, Staffs and Worcester, Shropshire Union to Chester and back round to Middlewich, Bridgewater, Leigh Branch, and finally the Leeds & Liverpool back to what we consider roughly the beginning of our 'home' stretch, Skipton. We'll now slow down over summer before heading out from Leeds again for an autumn cruise maybe in September.

In that four months, the boat has also spent at least three weeks in total in a boatyard/wet dock having bits of work done, so it has been pretty intensive on the whole. All good fun but as we settle into the liveaboard, CCing life, we're certainly going to want to slow up quite a bit and either be less ambitious about how far south we cruise, or less attached to familiar areas (and family ties) in Yorkshire.

• Greenie 1

Sounds a bit much to me. Was there any particular reason for covering so much ground in such a short period of time? I prefer moving more slowly and having a good look around the areas I moor in for a few days or perhaps longer if it's nice. If rushing is your thing that's fine, each to their own, but there are quicker modes of transport.

Well done! On all on new territory too, discovering best moorings, sani services, shops, Tesco delivery spots..... it'll be easier doing the journey the second time around :) 

Think you've also covered some of the most difficult locks.

Take you time, you deserve a holiday ?

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

Sounds a bit much to me. Was there any particular reason for covering so much ground in such a short period of time? I prefer moving more slowly and having a good look around the areas I moor in for a few days or perhaps longer if it's nice. If rushing is your thing that's fine, each to their own, but there are quicker modes of transport.

Yeah, me too! We had a long-standing booking at Debdale Wharf in May, so that dictated the pace on the way south (having spent winter on the eastern Leeds & Liverpool); and we'd told our daughters we'd try to be closer to them over the summer to help out with childcare and whatnot (both have had a second child this year), so that was the reason for heading back up north at a similar speed. Plus we've done most of those waterways previously and wanted to squeeze in some detours just for our own interest - Nottingham, the Ashby and Chester. But like I say, we certainly don't want to maintain anything like that pace.

Not a bad little trip but you should have continued further down and across to Bristol, the floating harbour is awesome. Many of us as ccers over the years have done similar trips many times. What did you think " Continuous " means?  

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Not a bad little trip but you should have continued further down and across to Bristol, the floating harbour is awesome. Many of us as ccers over the years have done similar trips many times. What did you think " Continuous " means?  

Seems a funny time to be having this discussion since I'm clearly a "genuine" CCer by anyone's definition, but I suppose it never hurts to remind people that "Continuous Cruiser" is really just a nickname for a boater without a home mooring. The guidance relating to such boaters doesn't spell out any requirement to do anything on a "Continuous" basis, so it doesn't much matter what I think "Continuous" means really, as long as I understand what CRT requires of me in terms of bona fide navigation and the 14 day rule. Which I do. And yes, Bristol is on the wish list, along with many other as-yet-unexplored corners of the system. Maybe not next year (think we might 'only' go as far as the Llangollen, Liverpool and the Lancaster), but before too long.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, magictime said:

The guidance relating to such boaters doesn't spell out any requirement to do anything on a "Continuous" basis, so it doesn't much matter what I think "Continuous" means really, as long as I understand what CRT requires of me in terms of bona fide navigation and the 14 day rule.

Correct - 'continuous' cruising is just CRT misrepresentation of the actual legal requirements. One of the unfortunate consequences of this though is that as many other boaters appear to be unaware of the distinction, you do end up with a few daft comments - here and elsewhere. Worth the occasional reminder though.