Hi any idea what these are called and where to purchase them from ,they are on my back door hinges ,many thx

dikla500

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Any chance of a photo of the hinge? Plus a tape measure next to that pin?

Anything like these?

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Lift-off-Hinges-in-Brass-or-Chromium-plated.html

I had a look at these, out of interest - I just love one line in the description

'The hinge is available in Left and Right handed doors, if you get the handing wrong the door will fall off. '

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

I had a look at these, out of interest - I just love one line in the description

'The hinge is available in Left and Right handed doors, if you get the handing wrong the door will fall off. '

Yup, that pretty much sums it up :)

I just had a quick google and nothing remotely like these comes up.

I’d suggest either contacting whoever built your boat, or taking the one you have to an engineering firm and getting them to turn them for you - won’t be cheap though

Just now, PaulJ said:

Id call them a (weld on) bullet hinge-but a Rolls Royce version. Very nice ☺️

Agreed, and that’s why I’m wondering if the boat builder makes them himself. A unique touch on a quality shell perhaps. 

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

Assuming eash hinge has a pin fixed to one side, could it not just be turned the other way up, putting the pin on the door, rather than the frame?

7 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Assuming eash hinge has a pin fixed to one side, could it not just be turned the other way up, putting the pin on the door, rather than the frame?

Well, yes it could. It would be odd but it would work. 

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Agreed, and that’s why I’m wondering if the boat builder makes them himself. A unique touch on a quality shell perhaps. 

Its not very often I get impressed with a hinge lol

Edited by PaulJ
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

It's called a pintle. The bit it fits into is called the gudgeon.

It could also be called a loose pin, with the bit it fits into called a hinge ;)

Just now, Flyboy said:

I've always called it the small end bearing. The gudgeon pin connects it to the piston.  Our US friends prefer the term wrist pin.

Yes, it is the small end bearing but as it’s connected to the piston by the Gudgeon pin doesn’t that also make it a Gudgeon?  Or are the holes in the pistons the Gudgeons?

Otherwise why not call the Gudgeon pin the small end bearing pin?

Just musing aloud :)

3 hours ago, dikla500 said:

15638259406933134371584505333916.jpg

Thats unusual. Uually they have a steel pin and just a brass washer between the two parts. For example:

60mmx10mm-weld-on-hinge-pin.jpg

From https://www.weldonhinges.co.uk/bullet-hinges/60mm-steel-bullet-hinge/

I reckon your hinges may have been made by the boatbuilder rather than bought in. Not a big job to get some more turned up from brass rod if you know someone with a lathe.

Have you lost or broken one of yours?

Edited by David Mack

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

Thats unusual. Uually they have a steel pin and just a brass washer between the two parts. For example:

Apart from the difference in metals, these also don’t appear to have a loose pin, not that I can see why that might be a disadvantage. It looks like the pintle is an interference push-fit into one half. Great find :)

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

From https://www.weldonhinges.co.uk/bullet-hinges/60mm-steel-bullet-hinge/

I reckon your hinges may have been made by the boatbuilder rather than bought in. Not a big job to get some more turned up from brass rod if you know someone with a lathe.

Have you lost or broken one of 

Thanks for that ,well found ,I think that looks like  it ,its not brass but that doesn't matter I'll check the sizes later ,cheers