Walk on Glass

Will 131

Featured Posts

Hello All,

I am currently having a new NB built.

At the Crick show this year, we saw a boat with a walk on glass panel in the roof.

I am considering doing the same with a piece of laminated glass 33mm thick x 1000 x 500. The glass is sold as 'walk on' and will be strong enough. It has a UDL of 4.0kn/m square.

Would really appreciate any advise on fitting  etc if anyone else has done this?

Thank you!

On 22/07/2019 at 13:06, Will 131 said:

Hello All,

I am currently having a new NB built.

At the Crick show this year, we saw a boat with a walk on glass panel in the roof.

I am considering doing the same with a piece of laminated glass 33mm thick x 1000 x 500. The glass is sold as 'walk on' and will be strong enough. It has a UDL of 4.0kn/m square.

Would really appreciate any advise on fitting  etc if anyone else has done this?

Thank you!

Narrowboats get hot enough in summer without a glass roof letting more heat it and as Cuthound says how will you stop the drips from condensation.  Probably looks very swish at shows but far from practical I would have thought.

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

As you are having a new boat built, it might be worth considering the very traditional addition of a pigeon box or two. They allow in light, give ventilation and extra height, and are more secure and stronger than a glass roof panel.

E3C4D3EF-53E1-4B8A-B0A1-16A7DE689653.jpeg.3e023baa133390ab6ff3f5365a0bde3d.jpeg

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

E3C4D3EF-53E1-4B8A-B0A1-16A7DE689653.jpeg.3e023baa133390ab6ff3f5365a0bde3d.jpeg

That was one of the boxes I was thinking about, although I did love the traditional pigeon boxes I had on my last but one boat. One in the bathroom, perfect for ventilating steam, and hanging towels to dry, and the other in the kitchen, perfect for similar reasons.

It is currently 35 degrees on my boat and I have 2 fans running and the big windows removed and all the blinds down.

I can only imagine what the temperature would be with a whopping great piece of glass in the roof.

• 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, Will 131 said:

Thank you everyone. I have now fitted two pieces of walk on glass in my boat. No problem with condensation or fitting.

Good for you, it would be great to see pictures?  When I had my boat built I considered 3 largeish Velux roof windows but the boat builder was already a bit freaked out by my requests so I kept the idea to myself. Still quite fancy fitting one now.