Any issues passing through Newton Heath area on the Rochdale?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

Don't stop until Littleborough. We do it early in the morning if possible when the locals will warn you about the ..other locals. Generally the people who will give you shit are not going to be up at 9am on a Sunday - just nice African Ladies on their way to church (they asked us if we were cleaning the canal and gave us some Jesus stuff). Never had an incident there (unlike the Rochdale 9) but it is basically Shameless: The Canal Trip, so good to be cautious. 

Edited by oarfish

On our recent trip back into Manchester we had minor issues with local "yoof" keep boarding the two boats in the lock, and crossing across them from one lock-side to the other.

As usual, starting to photograph them dispersed them quite quickly.

This lock....

P1020583.JPG

Blog post here....

http://sickleandflamingo.blogspot.com/2019/07/back-into-manchester.html

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

It's not pretty, but I've passed through without incident.

Ditto.  We were there a couple of days ago.

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

Havent gone through there since last year but had no problems when I did-I also spent an incident and peaceful night moored up at Failsworth. That may have been just lucky though ?

We moored at Failsworth the night before last.  Very quiet and pleasant.

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

On our recent trip back into Manchester we had minor issues with local "yoof" keep boarding the two boats in the lock, and crossing across them from one lock-side to the other.

As usual, starting to photograph them dispersed them quite quickly.

This lock....

P1020583.JPG

Blog post here....

http://sickleandflamingo.blogspot.com/2019/07/back-into-manchester.html

We had several teenagers at that lock - a group of girls sat on one side and a bunch of lads running around on the other, with a certain amount of good natured banter going on between the two groups. When I arrived to fill the lock the girls were sat on the coping with legs dangling into the chamber. One of them asked politely if they could stay there while the boats came through. I suggested that would be unwise and they happily moved to sit on the balance beam. There was mild curiosity about the boats, how a lock worked etc. as we passed through, but nothing remotely hostile.

I agree Slattocks and Rose of Lancaster are ok. There's a garage shop at Slattocks, next to the mooring. The nicest mooring at RoL is just past, near the Irwell Aqueduct, there are some small bollards. 

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

I agree Slattocks and Rose of Lancaster are ok. There's a garage shop at Slattocks, next to the mooring. The nicest mooring at RoL is just past, near the Irwell Aqueduct, there are some small bollards. 

Also it's deep enough there to get in to the bank, unlike most places nearby...