Film - The End of the Road - Excellent canal scenes

LEO

Featured Posts

I watched a film shown on Talking Pictures (445 Virgin) to-day (21/06/10), produced by Beaconsfield Studios in 1954, it was filmed in B&W. I have not watched the credits but I suspect it has been digitally re-mastered as the quality was good. I also missed the first 10 minutes, but details of the film are available on Google.

Most of the external filming seemed to have been carried out on the towpath of the southern GU at Bulls bridge, with some pictures of nb's moored in the lay-by, and the action moved to the junction of the GU and Regent's canal with the bulls bridge depot in the distant background. 

A tug pulling a barge carried the British Waterways signage.

Talking pictures often repeat films, it's well worth watching if you get the chance.

• 5 months later...

Hello Leo

I am part of the Website www.reelstreets.com that endeavours to establish locations that have been used in commercially distributed films and am about to start "work" on The End of the Road. In my initial preparations I came across your post regarding the film that has obviously revealed the exact stretch of canal but I am sure that once I set to there will be locations that you could help me with. In particular I refer to your reference to 'lay-by'. I am wondering therefore whether, once I have extracted the screen captures, I could share them with you to help identify. I would, of course, give you full credit for any assistance you are able to provide.  Please feel free to respond via the website.

55 minutes ago, Richard@RS said:

In particular I refer to your reference to 'lay-by'. 

The layby is the wider section on the south side if the Grand Union Canal just east of Bulls Bridge Junction and north of Hayes Road. Search for Bulls Bridge Docks on google maps and you will find it. The layby is now occupied by a number of houseboats.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The layby is the wider section on the south side if the Grand Union Canal just east of Bulls Bridge Junction and north of Hayes Road. Search for Bulls Bridge Docks on google maps and you will find it. The layby is now occupied by a number of houseboats.

Do you mean here https://what3words.com/bake.every.nearly

55 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

This claims it is available as a DVD to purchase...

https://www.vicpine.co.uk/The-End-of-the-Road-1954.htm

From that link:

"An old man reaches compulsory retirement age ... It is only when he solves a tricky problem that they realise his vast experience is still required."

A bit like Nicky Morgan and Zac Goldsmith then!

?

27 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Am i correct in thinking that half of the layby was filled in with the development of the Tesco site?

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How does this tie in then it looks like more than a layby  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/?#zoom=15&lat=51.4974&lon=-0.3936&layers=1&b=3

Capture.JPG

The loop on that plan is the North Hyde Ordnance Depot, built some time after 1813 and closed in 1832. It was associated with the Weedon Depot. Traces of it had virtually disappeared by the 1930s. More info at https://tringhistory.tringlocalhistorymuseum.org.uk/Canal/c_chapter_10.htm (halfway down the page).

I suspect the current layby was built by the GUCCCo as part of the 1930s upgrades.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

From that link:

"An old man reaches compulsory retirement age ... It is only when he solves a tricky problem that they realise his vast experience is still required."

A bit like Nicky Morgan and Zac Goldsmith then!

?

Something similar happened to my Brother-in-law. He took early retirement with a nice golden handshake and then immediately (within a month) got re-hired because nobody knew the job as well as him. After another 4 years earning more than he did before he retired he’d finally had enough and retired for good. 

"In the lay-by" the boats are waiting......"

Bulls Bridges depot, the " Lay-By" in BW days.

Photo: credit Bill & Edith Hunt Waterways World December 1977.

Bulls Bridge Photo Bill & Edith Hunt WWorld Dec 77.jpg

Second Photo Credit: Waterways World June 1992.

The Paddington Arm goes off to the north.

Bulls Bridge 2 Waterways World June 1992.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

The dry dock (A) is still there today.

I think Tesco rebuilt it and it sits there uncovered, unused and decaying.

The layby was not there in 1913 map. As said quite a late addition/upgrade. Use the blue slider on this link to overlay current ariel over 1913 map.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.4988&lon=-0.4070&layers=168&b=1

Edited by mark99

14 hours ago, Richard@RS said:

Hello Leo

I am part of the Website www.reelstreets.com that endeavours to establish locations that have been used in commercially distributed films and am about to start "work" on The End of the Road. In my initial preparations I came across your post regarding the film that has obviously revealed the exact stretch of canal but I am sure that once I set to there will be locations that you could help me with. In particular I refer to your reference to 'lay-by'. I am wondering therefore whether, once I have extracted the screen captures, I could share them with you to help identify. I would, of course, give you full credit for any assistance you are able to provide.  Please feel free to respond via the website.

Hi,

Thanks for your enquiry, I am sure that all the 'Forumites' would be pleased to see the screen captures, and they have provided a huge amount of helpful advice, your job in this instance is easy as all the exterior shots were of buildings within about a mile radius, including the exterior shots of the cottages. The tug 'White Heather' did appear in the film. Beaconsfield Studios is less than 15 miles away.

I am always interested in location shots used in the area and combine this info with talks I give to inmates in retirement/care homes, bearing in mind the number of films studios north of London, (Ealing, Twickenham, Shepperton, Pinewood, Denham, Beaconsfield, Elstree and Borehamwood it is inevitable that many local scenes have been used over the years. They are still being used.... Midsummer Murders has filmed at The Lee for years and indeed used Bulbourne Yard as a backdrop. Inevitably film actors lived in the area as well. Robert Donat. Dirk Bogarde, John Mills, and Roger Moore to name but a few.

Favourites of mine - scenes in the 1948 film Painted Boats, brief scenes of Bovingdon Airfield in the 1962 film The War Lover, a street in Chesham, which appears as a German street scene in a a 1960's film The Captive Heart with Dirk Bogarde and plans I liberated  of a windmill built for the film Those Magnificent Men......, filmed at Booker Areodrome, nr High Wycombe, we used to watch filming during lunch breaks.

Needless to say if you need any more info. on canal or waterways scenes members of this Forum are always pleased to help.

L.

Edited by LEO
spilling
  • Greenie 1

In the cold winter of 1985 I came out of bulls Bridge heading out of London.

we were following Colonel, who was breaking ice out to cowley.
As I came to turn  I had a lot wound on as we were 140 feet long and colonel was circa 60.
The frozen cross straps came off and the butty went straight on into the dry dock (a) doors.

i reversed back to pick up the butty with a quick check to make sure neither Tam or Di had spotted me, or that there was anyone from BwB jumping up and down.

We tied in the winding hole at cowley at 8 ish canal frozen behind us, for one of the continuous moorers of the time to winge about us being in the winding hole.

Next morning we exited cowley lock ( more moaning) and took 3 hrs to get to the boat centre, Colonel having gone to his mooring. We were stuck there for 3 weeks, buckby cans filled in the pub.

What a mine of information, thank you all. It will all be incredibly useful to me when I commence "working" on the film and all your facts will make much more sense to me then. It is one of the joys of Reelstreets when a film brings us in touch with people like yourselves that have knowledge, enthusiasm and related stories. 

I look forward to viewing the film and coming back into the Forum, thank you all again once more.

• Greenie 3

5 hours ago, mark99 said:

Bray Studios too.

Capture.JPG

Yes, forgot that one, also overlooked Little Hampden House where Hammer Films were produced. When you check the films it's amazing how locations were chosen - Aldbury, near Tring has been amazingly popular over the years, even appearing as a setting for the 'Dirty Dozen'. Hope you are well.

3 hours ago, Richard@RS said:

What a mine of information, thank you all. It will all be incredibly useful to me when I commence "working" on the film and all your facts will make much more sense to me then. It is one of the joys of Reelstreets when a film brings us in touch with people like yourselves that have knowledge, enthusiasm and related stories. 

I look forward to viewing the film and coming back into the Forum, thank you all again once more.

Thanks, have checked your website and found it very interesting. look forward to you setting the Forum another challenge.

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, MartinC said:

Talking Pictures is also, free, on Freeview 81

Its an absolutely terrific Channel Martin and I couldn't recommend it highly enough . I managed to catch the Blue Lamp the other Day and The Bargee earlier in the Summer . Special Branch is another favourite with a young Fulton Mackay