Every great story begins with Once upon a time

fergyguy

Featured Posts

I thought you were going to say every good story starts with ' so I had a few beers......'

Always good when a purchase happens smoothly and with decent people. Just purchased myself and couldn't have been a more pleasant purchase with all good people I have met and had to deal with so far !!

• Happy 1

17 hours ago, fergyguy said:

After many weeks of research and taking advice plus countless looking on Apolloduck today I went to Sawley Marina to go for a demonstration cruise with Dave and Trudy the lovely owners of Once upon a time 65x12 Widebeam. I first saw her ( the boat) on a random visit to Sawley a few weeks ago and although I had no appointment to view Dave was happy for me to step aboard and take a look .... both he and the boat impressed me to the point where I could not stop going back on line looking at her. I then went back to Sawley with my daughter to show her the boat and again even though it was a random visit Dave invited us aboard and gave us a tour and answered countless questions I asked of him. I did look at other Widebeam boats one in particular moored at Mirfield and despite it being better equipped and only 57feet so allowing a lot more cruising the owner was without doubt one of the hardest people Iv ever tried doing business with. He seemed reluctant to cooperate with any requests and seemed unsure on many points Iv raised to the point I believed he was definitely hiding something from me.... anyway his attitude and rudeness sealed the fate of that purchase ever happening. So a call to Sawley and a little bit of bartering and today’s cruise was arranged. Now the experiment the moment I stepped aboard was without doubt fantastic Dave and Trudy had the boat built and it was very clear their connection with her was very strong indeed. We drank tea and chatted before Dave showed me the cellar as his wife calls it and he wanted me to feel the engine so as to see it was stone cold be for he turned the key and she sprang into life before settling into a nice burble. A demonstration taking down of the pram cover followed and we were on our way. Turning left out of sawyonto the Sawley Cutting Dave steered whilst giving advice in a clear understandable manner and once we reached the Trent he stood to one side and handed control of his boat to me. Iv been told many times these fat boats swim like a brick but if that’s the case then this was a damn good brick. I soon found myself at one with the boat she steered clean and responsive and at no point was I fazed by her. We did a few locks and went under a few low bridges on to Shardlow where Dave demonstrated a relaxed trouble free turn around for out trip back to Sawley.To say I had a smile on my face was an understatement and a few cups of tea and a lot of questions later I handed over my deposit. So in a few weeks time at 63 I’m about to start a new chapter in my life and like all great stories it begins with Once upon a Time. I would like to thank Dave and Trudy for their honesty and openness today plus I need to thank Peyerboat and Tony D who over many weeks have advised guided and listened to my many wows on issue I was experiencing trying to find the right boat for me. So once she’s mine I’ll be changing her name to Misty & Me ( That’s my Labrador ) together we are entering a new phase in our lives amongst you guys.

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating fergyguy. ?

• 3 weeks later...

DWell my house went on market and sold in first week via purple bricks but having been told buyer wanted to complete by end of July I boxed up all my stuff and handed a deposit to broker then three weeks later buyer dropped out as his buyer couldn’t get a morgage so luckily the deposit cheque wasn’t banked and my house went back on market. I asked broker to hold the cheque as a show of my intentions to buy but told him I understood the boat would go back on market. Two days ago our original buyer has instructed purple bricks he’s in a position to proceed and our house looks to be sold but for now I’m waiting to be sure before jumping up and down with joy. So I’m keeping busy sawing up my 5 year seasoned wood pile which should give me about 40 sacks of logs and a pile of kindling lol

BEF9AAF9-C104-4B6F-BF1B-932942B9AAE8.jpeg

1D44F328-C541-4FE1-8E56-7690686B7672.jpeg

• Greenie 3