Maintenance Costs

jammied

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, jammied said:

Hi

Can I have some indicators on boat costs, in particular, how much is it likely to cost to ensure an older boat stays above the water and doesn't end up below it?

What type of boat (wood, steel, fibreglass) ?

What age (20 years, 50 years, 100 years) ?

What condition is it in now ?

Is it engine driven ?
What type of engine ?

What condition is the engine in ?

How long is your piece of string ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

about 50 years, I am looking at boats made in the 70s. 

Not too bothered about the inside right now, more the reasonable cost range of making sure the hull is safe and not liable to take on water at any point, if kept stationary in a marina.

2 minutes ago, jammied said:

about 50 years, I am looking at boats made in the 70s. 

Not too bothered about the inside right now, more the reasonable cost range of making sure the hull is safe and not liable to take on water at any point, if kept stationary in a marina.

So are you talking about maintaining or repairing. If you buy one that is on the point of sinking it will cost you thousands, if you buy one with a sound hull then a few hundred for blacking every couple of years.

Thanks for that. Next question then, can I ask what is the lowest you can expect to pay for one with a sound hull, that basically has a working bathroom and kitchen and working electrics (mains when hooked up), internally, not so worried about any other details. 

Incidently, I am looking this as a boat for permanent residence as opposed to leisure use. 

and 5K per annum in some marinas, plus £1000 for licence etc

2 minutes ago, jammied said:

Thanks for that. Next question then, can I ask what is the lowest you can expect to pay for one with a sound hull, that basically has a working bathroom and kitchen and working electrics (mains when hooked up), internally, not so worried about any other details. 

Incidently, I am looking this as a boat for permanent residence as opposed to leisure use. 

So you need a Residential marina...................... in London, close to the tube station perhaps? Maybe you need a Golden Handshake too?

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, jammied said:

The marina I am looking is about £2k per year, not necessarily going to buy an annual licence I plan to keep it in the marina most of the year. 

on land?

The marina I am looking is about £2k per year, not necessarily going to buy an annual licence I plan to keep it in the marina most of the year. 

Most marinas you need a licence, but not all. If you are thinking of doing this as a cheap way to live please forget it.

Will you have a permanent residential mooring or will you be moving about (ie, do you expect to have an engine.

We are really all guessing what you want / need.

Someone say "I want to buy a house" how much will it cost ?

Give us something else to go on.

Whereabouts in the country ? (A London residential mooring will cost £10,000 - £15,000 per year)

Costs depend on length (painting, mooring, blacking etc etc are all based on X £100's per foot.

You could probably get a boat that floats that needs £10,000 spending on it for about £10,000 - £15,000, or buy a boat that just needs fitting out and modernising for £20,000

Yes, Inland!

You are not understanding.

In MOST marinas you still need to have the boat licenced, unless it is lifted out "on-land"

Can you really get a 'legal' residential mooring for £2,000 ?

7 minutes ago, jammied said:

3 minutes ago, jammied said:

Yes, Inland!

Not quite sure you understood the question. There are a limited number of marinas with historical rights where licences aren't required, if you can tell us which marina we can probably tell if it is one of them. If you are intending, as Lady G suggested, in keeping the boat on hard standing then there will be the cost of lifting it out, the cost of putting it back and probably a weekly charge for storage (less than marina fees) but under those circumstances you don't need a licence, but since it will be effectively a caravan without wheels it may be more practical to get a caravan.

28 minutes ago, jammied said:

a] sigh 

b] We guessed that bit. A dozen guys think about this every week, they rarely follow through.................... it;s not cheap, not easy, etc

https://scotland.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/commercial-vessels-life-boat/612606, it hasan engine, no beds, but you can invite 18 friends round!

Edited by LadyG

17 minutes ago, jammied said:

So the only thing you don't "want to work" is a bed and an engine.

I think I'll just continue, trip, trap, trip trapping over the bridge.

pieces of string are available on ebay. ....................................  prices vary from 22p to £100K, depending on length, material, location, condition and a dozen other factors.

if you seriously think your maintenance costs are mainly about stopping the boat from sinking then you really need to get out a bit and talk to folk living on boats. 

there are no off-the-peg costs available on this forum.

Strangely I've been thinking about the running costs of running my 23 year old 55' NB only today. (NOT thinking about getting rid of it). The following may not be a direct comparison with your situation , it reflects the real costs of running a boat.

Moorings. Non residential out of London. £3250  exc electricity

Licence.          

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

there are no off-the-peg costs available on this forum.

But there are a number of previous threads which discuss typical running costs if you look back through the forum ( or try the idiosyncratic search function).

36 minutes ago, pete.i said:

An awful lot. If you want a boat, any boat, you better have deep pockets. And it's all set, more than likely, to get a whole lot more expensive.

Bring

Out

Another

Thousand

Edited by David Mack

£3250 is something that would be affordable for me. 

Well, that is fine, I've just bought a boat and spent about that., in six weeks:)

Edited by LadyG

Well, I am looking at it as, the keeping it afloat if the top one that it won't ever be possible to put off... 

Not really sure that comes under maintenance costs, it comes more under the heading of not buying a leaking boat in the first place. I have spent quite a lot on mine over the past 6 years or so, mainly to prevent deterioration, I can't think of anything I have spent to directly stop it from sinking. I suppose if you didn't bother to black it for 15 years or so, or had a poorly arranged mains supply and no anodes, that might work:huh: