Cheap boats, is this normal?

jammied

Featured Posts

Just now, jammied said:

I have noticed some reasonable new boats on sale  around the £1500 mark.

Is this normal or can I expect some kind of surprise were I to buy them?

Yes, the person you give the money to dosent own the boat

2 minutes ago, jammied said:

I have noticed some reasonable new boats on sale  around the £1500 mark.

Is this normal or can I expect some kind of surprise were I to buy them?

Depends on what sort of boat you are looking at.  That's about right for a decent canoe or small rowing boat.

Do you have any more information or links for these?

12 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Looking at Apperley share price is £1750 plus a flexible running cost of about £2500 per year and presumably more in years when a full repaint etc are required, so not as cheap as it first sounds.

I dont know how they come up with those running costs £2500 and there is 12 of them so £30,000 a year running costs.

7 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Looking at Apperley share price is £1750 plus a flexible running cost of about £2500 per year and presumably more in years when a full repaint etc are required, so not as cheap as it first sounds.

Always remember with a share price the share is still yours to sell so once a boat gets to a certain age the depreciation curve flattens out and a share can be sold  near to the buying price. This, of course means that your main outlay is the running cost. On my boat that is around £900 per year which gets me at least 3 weeks and (sometimes more) per year. Other share boats do it in different ways but we run a separate fund for repaints/possible engine change or any other large outlay, for which we pay a small amount and that fund, including my contribution, remains for the use of any future shareholders. Being self managed we as individual owners make any decisions ourselves and we also do not incur any management charges. My wife and I have been shareholders for many years and find the scheme works very well for us.

Howard

1 minute ago, howardang said:

Always remember with a share price the share is still yours to sell so once a boat gets to a certain age the depreciation curve flattens out and a share can be sold  near to the buying price. This, of course means that your main outlay is the running cost. On my boat that is around £900 per year which gets me at least 3 weeks and (sometimes more) per year. Other share boats do it in different ways but we run a separate fund for repaints/possible engine change or any other large outlay, for which we pay a small amount and that fund, including my contribution, remains for the use of any future shareholders. Being self managed we as individual owners make any decisions ourselves and we also do not incur any management charges. My wife and I have been shareholders for many years and find the scheme works very well for us.

Howard

When I shared we went self managed and saved about 50%

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Management fee will be a substantial part of that.

Management fees for a 12th share in managedcschemes vary between £400 to around £450 per year which is why we are self managed in our syndicate of 12 and we find the running of the boat is straightforward with a small team of around three or four people filling the roles of secretary, treasurer and someone organising repairs and maintenance. 

We all meet up oncd a year for a dinner and then a meeting to decid what needs doing in the coming year, where we base the boat etc.  It all runs very well with very few issues.

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 2

10 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

That was the reason we have up with our share boat. The annual running costs were more than it would have cost us to hire a boat for the same weeks.