Gas needed

jckent

Featured Posts

Hello all. Crooke Marina seems only moorings now. In Wigan we moored by the Dry Dock and got Boss Gas to deliver to the boat (small delivery charge). 

The reason for having both bottles empty was that we swopped them over in Liverpool Albert dock and was going to replace at next convenient point. The fuel boat in Liverpool doesn’t have gas. 

Unfortunately we must have had a gas leak because the second gas bottle ran out 4 days later on our way back to Wigan. 

There seems to be very few facilities between Wigan and Liverpool. I thought one of you might have known of one not marked on my maps. 

Any way thanks to Boss Gas for good service. 

Now on the Bridgewater at Worsley, no water at this waterpoint and ablution block very unwholesome. 

11 minutes ago, jckent said:

Hello all. Crooke Marina seems only moorings now. In Wigan we moored by the Dry Dock and got Boss Gas to deliver to the boat (small delivery charge). 

The reason for having both bottles empty was that we swopped them over in Liverpool Albert dock and was going to replace at next convenient point. The fuel boat in Liverpool doesn’t have gas. 

Unfortunately we must have had a gas leak because the second gas bottle ran out 4 days later on our way back to Wigan. 

There seems to be very few facilities between Wigan and Liverpool. I thought one of you might have known of one not marked on my maps. 

Now on the Bridgewater at Worsley, no water at this waterpoint and ablution block very unwholesome. 

Scarisbrick Marina stock gas (and most other stuff)

Reminds me I need a refill as just swapped over to the spare cylinder a few days ago.

Its almost a shame we didn't run out a week before as convenient suppler was nearby.

Last week the caravan shop near Torksey didn't have a refill of the size we wanted to fit in our small gas locker.

The marina where we keep the boat have been concerned about supply and even saying the marina will need to go and collect refilled cylinders as there  seems to me some difficulty with deliveries to them !

I hope there isn't  an upcoming crisis with supply  as we use the oven and hob quite a bit .

1 hour ago, jckent said:

Having a reasonable excuse won't stop the vultures circling, picking your bones clean. Vultures never make mistakes obvs. 

1 hour ago, jckent said:

The water tap used to be inside the unwholesome ablution block. Is this no longer the case?

18 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

The water tap used to be inside the unwholesome ablution block. Is this no longer the case?

Yup, the tap is still inside the building but has the virtue of having no water connected to it, so no-one will be using it to wash out their Elsan Cassette:sick:

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Yup, the tap is still inside the building but has the virtue of having no water connected to it, 

A greeno for that choice of word!

3 hours ago, jckent said:

You could have called at Scarisbrick Marina (who I know have gas) and perhaps the caravan site a little further (I am guessing here, but with a little reason)

5 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Yes it is but there is no water supply to the tap or loo. Don’t know if this is permanent but suspect it is. 

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

You could have called at Scarisbrick Marina (who I know have gas) and perhaps the caravan site a little further (I am guessing here, but with a little reason)

Yes but I had passed them when I ran out. Don’t know about the caravan park, wouldn’t they only deal with smaller bottles?

10 hours ago, jckent said:

Yes it is but there is no water supply to the tap or loo. Don’t know if this is permanent but suspect it is. 

Yes but I had passed them when I ran out. Don’t know about the caravan park, wouldn’t they only deal with smaller bottles?

If i found that i had no gas and all I could get was a small canister, then i would have two choices, have what i could get or do without!

To be honest, this is all included in what i used to call boat husbandry, or in otherwords, common sense.

IE check there boat before leaving and note what you haven't got and ask yourself, can i do without it on this voyage. Things like Canal guides, water, gas and a hundred and one other things that are needed in this pastime of boating!

common sense.

The OP started this thread on Sunday evening, it's now Wed morning, surely he has gas by now?

Nipper

7 minutes ago, nipper said:

If i found that i had no gas and all I could get was a small canister, then i would have two choices, have what i could get or do without!

To be honest, this is all included in what i used to call boat husbandry, or in otherwords, common sense.

IE check there boat before leaving and note what you haven't got and ask yourself, can i do without it on this voyage. Things like Canal guides, water, gas and a hundred and one other things that are needed in this pastime of boating!

common sense.

The OP started this thread on Sunday evening, it's now Wed morning, surely he has gas by now?

Nipper

He has- see post 27

On 23/07/2019 at 13:35, carlt said:

Better carry a fourth...Just in case...

Whatever works for you :) 

I found with 2 cassettes I often found myself with 2 full cassettes but, since increasing to 3 cassettes, I have never been caught short.

Similarly with 2 gas bottles, increased to 3, and not run out in 4 years.

For me, 3 is the magic number :) 

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

I found with 2 cassettes I often found myself with 2 full cassettes but, since increasing to 3 cassettes, I have never been caught short.

Funny you should say that. I've found exactly the same. Three cassettes, three gas bottles, perfect!

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Agree with the cassettes since they only last days, but 3 gas bottles? A gas bottle last me 8 weeks so 3 is almost half a year's supply, a bit excessive although I do know people who buy their entire winter's coal supply in one hit, but like three gas bottles, where do you then put them?

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Agree with the cassettes since they only last days, but 3 gas bottles? A gas bottle last me 8 weeks so 3 is almost half a year's supply, a bit excessive although I do know people who buy their entire winter's coal supply in one hit, but like three gas bottles, where do you then put them?

Some put the spare cylinder on the rear deck others on the well deck against the front doors

20 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

2 in the boat gas locker, and one on the mooring. I agree that this might be difficult for those without a mooring but, if I didn't have a mooring, I'd have a gas locker made up and welded to the cruiser stern, (obviously to comply with the BSS, so leaking gas goes overboard, and couldnt escape over the top of the locker, etc. :) ).

The number is all to do with laziness and a lack of organisation. With only two my, "I'll do it next week", attitude got me into trouble. With three, it seems that there is a subconscious discussion going on which gets it done before the third runs out. In fact, it is now rare that the second gas runs out, or the second cassette fills up.

On 24/07/2019 at 17:51, Mike the Boilerman said:

Funny you should say that. I've found exactly the same. Three cassettes, three gas bottles, perfect!

Three Smartgauges...

Coz I'm poor, we have only two gas bottles. I have to say we haven't run out of gas in the 17 years we have had boats. 

We have a porta  potti as a back up for the pumpout. We have had occasion when both are full.

At this time, we stop eating, come to think about it, it may be why we haven't run out of gas.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

At this time, we stop eating, come to think about it, it may be why we haven't run out of gas.

The simplest solutions are the best ?

• Greenie 1