Montgomery Closed

casper ghost

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, casper ghost said:

I hear the Montgomery canal is closed now due to a breach and structural failure. The system seems in a dire state..

The breach is in Welshpool on the isolated section of the Mont, hardly an indication of the system falling apart

59 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ah, that makes it OK then, stuff the Northern canals, stuff the little bits that few people do, stuff Billybob in his historic failing to complete the Caldon after over a month of trying, stuff full length boats getting through Hurleston safely, but yes, mobilise the troops to get a fat boat through a bridge.

It is no wonder boaters satisfaction is going down.

Not quite sure what all that has to do with the breach on the Montgomery. Do I want CRT to urgently repair a breach on a section of canal that only people in trailer boats are able to use because it's not connected to the rest of the system? Not really, sounds like an 'as and when' job to me.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Not quite sure what all that has to do with the breach on the Montgomery. Do I want CRT to urgently repair a breach on a section of canal that only people in trailer boats are able to use because it's not connected to the rest of the system? Not really, sounds like an 'as and when' job to me.

Unfortunately that is always the attitude from that member.
In the 16 years we have lived in this area and the numerous times I have driven beside that section of the canal I have NEVER seen a boat on it. Yes it is unfortunate that a breach has occurred but it has always been a "Reminder" waterway. 

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

Unfortunately that is always the attitude from that member.
In the 16 years we have lived in this area and the numerous times I have driven beside that section of the canal I have NEVER seen a boat on it. Yes it is unfortunate that a breach has occurred but it has always been a "Reminder" waterway. 

A 'reminder' that all is not well with CRT, yes.

I dont see you challenging some of the other failures I have highlighted, or mentioning any of the other mess ups.

It is also a Remainder Waterway.

Edited by matty40s

I wasnt aware that I have posted anything insulting, it certainly isnt in my two posts above this, and surely you should PM a member if this was the case rather than post it on a thread

......unless you meant Graham has been insulting, then I shall shut up.

So, this thread has stopped. 

I don't know why. it was, in my view, a perfectly good conversation between elder members of this forum with thousands of posts each under their belts. 

Stopped by a mod with a mere 78 posts to their name.

It really isnt worth it anymore is it! 

Nipper

19 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

The breach is in Welshpool on the isolated section of the Mont, hardly an indication of the system falling apart

I have just spoken to Montgomery Canal people who live canalside there; they say it's not serious from a restoration point of view. The half-mile from Pools Quay to Crowther Lock drained into a culvert, but there was no flooding or substantial breach. The biggest issue is an environmental one; it's a SSSI and needs to be restored for the water flow, but it shouldn't be difficult. 

2 minutes ago, Andrew Denny said:

I have just spoken to Montgomery Canal people who live canalside there; they say it's not serious from a restoration point of view. The half-mile from Pools Quay to Crowther Lock drained into a culvert, but there was no flooding or substantial breach. The biggest issue is an environmental one; it's a SSSI and needs to be restored for the water flow, but it shouldn't be difficult. 

Thank's Andrew, a reminder that these days CRT are not just managing a navigation, and that this can sometimes work in favour of getting the canal open again