Open Canal map app and tidal rivers- New to boating

B2019

Featured Posts

Hi boaters, 

Just had a couple of questions:

1. I've been looking at the canal map by CRT and the Open Canal map app. Are the little blue rivers on Open Canal mean they are navigable as they are not shown on the CRT map?

2. I've been told by many boaters and engineers not to take my boat on tidal rivers as the engine won't kick out enough hp ( 10bhp). I'm a bit nervous about suddenly coming across a tidal river. Any helps or tips on how to avoid them? 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, B2019 said:

I've been told by many boaters and engineers not to take my boat on tidal rivers as the engine won't kick out enough hp ( 10bhp). I'm a bit nervous about suddenly coming across a tidal river

It is not just HP, it depends on torque, prop size etc.

Lots of old working boat had small diesel engines and before that just "one-horse" power.

You have to learn to read the water, look at, and learn about tides, and 'boat' at the correct time for the conditions.

If you are really concerned (you needn't be) you could always do the "Day Skipper Tidal Waters" course.

• Greenie 1

Hi, have a look at this link to show you all the navigable rivers and canals.

You can’t stumble onto a tidal river. The locks that would take you into them will be  (almost certainly) padlocked shut and controlled by lock keepers. 

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage=Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm

2 hours ago, MHS said:

Hi, have a look at this link to show you all the navigable rivers and canals.

You can’t stumble onto a tidal river. The locks that would take you into them will be  (almost certainly) padlocked shut and controlled by lock keepers. 

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage=Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm

One exception is the (very slightly) tidal section of the Bedford Ouse, where you can go through Brownshill lock unsupervised.  But the tidal effect is very weak there ....

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is not just HP, it depends on torque, prop size etc.

Lots of old working boat had small diesel engines and before that just "one-horse" power.

You have to learn to read the water, look at, and learn about tides, and 'boat' at the correct time for the conditions.

If you are really concerned (you needn't be) you could always do the "Day Skipper Tidal Waters" course.

Yeah this boat won't do tidal rivers. Not even going to attempt it. Had a little bit of wind the other day. Was on full speed to get it out of the uphill bit. 

5 hours ago, B2019 said:

Hi boaters, 

Just had a couple of questions:

1. I've been looking at the canal map by CRT and the Open Canal map app. Are the little blue rivers on Open Canal mean they are navigable as they are not shown on the CRT map?

2. I've been told by many boaters and engineers not to take my boat on tidal rivers as the engine won't kick out enough hp ( 10bhp). I'm a bit nervous about suddenly coming across a tidal river. Any helps or tips on how to avoid them? 

Thanks

What is the boat. I have done Limehouse to Teddington on the tidal Thames with only a 6.6 hp engine but it was only a 16ft grp cruiser

50 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

If you have the tide behind you then you only need the tiniest of engines

When we did the Ribble another boat wouldn’t go across because “they only had a 38hp engine” when I said ours was only 21hp at best the lady almost fainted!...Tried to point out it’s not the number of horses but how strong they are! 

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

What is the boat. I have done Limehouse to Teddington on the tidal Thames with only a 6.6 hp engine but it was only a 16ft grp cruiser

35 foot low stern narrowboat. Sabb GG engine.