Stove and position for 40ft boat

boatboatboat

Featured Posts

Hello. I would like to install a wood burning stove in my reverse layout 40ft cruiser stern narrowboat. My current plan is to remove the large fold out sofa bed and install a cross bed and stove as shown below:

drawing.png.b7647fa695f1d3972f0a385af555ad81.png

Is this a good plan?

Ideally I would have something that would stay in all night and have a glass viewing window:

Pipsqueak

Faversham

The Hobbit

Morso 1410 - too big?

Would any of these be suitable?

Do I have any chance of the heat making its way down the small corridor to the kitchen area?

Thanks for any advice! 

Edited by davivid

It looks a good plan. Another stove to consider is the Boatman. A way round having the heat concentrated in the bedroom/living room would be to use a stove with a backboiler, which the Boatman can have. I don't know about the others, except the Morso, but I agree that it is probably a bit big for this boat. Where to put it depends on the positions of stuff in the bathroom and kitchen. If there is room to run radiators along the starboard side, then the stove could be moved in to the corner from where you have it on the lower drawing, giving a bit more space for other things to the port side against the bathroom wall.

Another possibility may be to put the stove in the kitchen on the port side and run radiators all the way down the boat on the port side. You could set up a gravity system this way that would not need a circulation pump, making it silent and not consume any battery power. Having the stove in the kitchen may seem weird at first, but would help keep the living/bedroom clean. It would also allow you to regulate the temperature in the bedroom more easily as a running stove could easily make it too hot to sleep on some nights.

Jen

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the suggestions! Kitchen is a neat idea but there are already radiators on the port side shown in the first diagram (connected to an alde comfort 2928 gas boiler) which I would like to keep as an alternative heat source and I think I really would like the stove in the living / bedroom area.

It may be possible to have some additional radiators on the starboard side but I think I'd quite like to keep the stove simple this time. Next boat will definitely have a gravity fed system.

Maybe I could install a large fan moving warm air into the bathroom and another moving on forward into the kitchen area...?

Imho that location is way too near the bed. I would be unable to sleep at night. Our stove is approx 30 plus feet from our bed so can be left on 24/7 and still be comfy sleeping with stove ticking over.

17 minutes ago, davivid said:

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the suggestions! Kitchen is a neat idea but there are already radiators on the port side shown in the first diagram (connected to an alde comfort 2928 gas boiler) which I would like to keep as an alternative heat source and I think I really would like the stove in the living / bedroom area.

It may be possible to have some additional radiators on the starboard side but I think I'd quite like to keep the stove simple this time. Next boat will definitely have a gravity fed system.

Maybe I could install a large fan moving warm air into the bathroom and another moving on forward into the kitchen area...? 

Ah, extra information. Yes, if there is already a gas boiler and rads, then more rads doesn't make much sense.

Suspect fans would be noisy and use a lot of power. Also, where would you put them? 

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Ah, extra information. Yes, if there is already a gas boiler and rads, then more rads doesn't make much sense.

Suspect fans would be noisy and use a lot of power. Also, where would you put them? 

In the bathroom walls? I guess they would have to be large slow moving ones in the hope of being quiet - but again starting to over complicate things.

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Imho that location is way too near the bed. I would be unable to sleep at night. Our stove is approx 30 plus feet from our bed so can be left on 24/7 and still be comfy sleeping with stove ticking over.

This is good to know. So I should look for the smallest stove possible. Or consider a small diesel cabin heater instead?

It's usually best to install the stove mid boat if possible, ours is in the middle of our 45ft boat.

Yours looks to close to the bed and as has been said would be uncomfortably warm at night. I don't think much heat would make it back past your shower room to the other end of the boat.