Overnight Mooring on the Bridgewater

john6767

Featured Posts

We will be going on the Bridgewater for the first time on Monday or Tuesday.  We will be going from Preston Brook and then west on the L&L.

Where are the best places to moor, I suspect we will just need one stop between the T&M and the L&L.  Rural would be best.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

We will be going on the Bridgewater for the first time on Monday or Tuesday.  We will be going from Preston Brook and then west on the L&L.

Where are the best places to moor, I suspect we will just need one stop between the T&M and the L&L.  Rural would be best.

Dunham Massey for rural with a nearby pub.

Lymm is our preferred single overnight stop but you are right in the town by the pub and the chippy.

3 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

Echo Dunham Massey if somewhere rural. But if you have time, two overnight stops would be better. Consider Stockton Heath, Lymm and Worsley as options. All good.

Seconded. We have stayed at these places several times.
Dunham Massey is very nice indeed.

Just past Little Bollington winding hole there are some mooring rings on the towpath side where the canal goes over a farm track. Down the steps by the bridge, turn left under the bridge, all the way to the end where it joins the road. Turn left and you'll see The Swan With Two Nicks pub restaurant. Dog friendly in the bar, treats and water available. Good food in the bar or restaurant.

8 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Just past Little Bollington winding hole there are some mooring rings on the towpath side where the canal goes over a farm track. Down the steps by the bridge, turn left under the bridge, all the way to the end where it joins the road. Turn left and you'll see The Swan With Two Nicks pub restaurant. Dog friendly in the bar, treats and water available. Good food in the bar or restaurant.

Moored there right now :) Tomorrow's dinner sorted.

14 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I'd go along with all the suggested locations, if Worsley is a bit too "urban" then Boothstown, just before the marina is fine too. 

Yes stayed there too. 

Had a look at Nicholson’s and Google maps, and going to go for 2 nights, we still have far too much time to spare, but there does look to be a few rain days forecast so that may use time up not moving.

So Little Bollington/Dunham Massy looks good for night one.  For the second night the Worsley could be OK, was also looking between Worsley and Leigh and near the boat yard and The Mooring pub looks ok, which I think is where has been mentioned.

So for planning I think that’s me sorted for now.

Worsley has two good pubs (The Bridgewater and one I can’t remember the name) and an excellent restaurant (George’s). It also has a small convenience store. 

Boothstown is more rural with a large pub and small marina.

Another option a little further north is Astley Green. It also has a canal side pub where someone else on this forum has recently been extolling its virtues.

Would not recommend an overnight stay in Leigh, although it is OK during the day for provisions.

21 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

Worsley has two good pubs (The Bridgewater and one I can’t remember the name) and an excellent restaurant (George’s). It also has a small convenience store. 

Boothstown is more rural with a large pub and small marina.

Another option a little further north is Astley Green. It also has a canal side pub where someone else on this forum has recently been extolling its virtues.

Would not recommend an overnight stay in Leigh, although it is OK during the day for provisions.

I wouldn't stay in Leigh either but out of the town up near Plank Lane (ok we're on the LL now) is fine.  You could even stay on the new marina though I think it's very expensive for an overnight (unless of course you are an existing BWML customer). 

I always liked the Old number 3 pub when we went up there, it had moorings very close by iirc. Having just looked at this thread though I notice the last time we went in there was august 2000 so its probably been knocked down now lol. Nice canal though if you dodge the beer barrels etc.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Had a look at Nicholson’s and Google maps, and going to go for 2 nights, we still have far too much time to spare, but there does look to be a few rain days forecast so that may use time up not moving.

So Little Bollington/Dunham Massy looks good for night one.  For the second night the Worsley could be OK, was also looking between Worsley and Leigh and near the boat yard and The Mooring pub looks ok, which I think is where has been mentioned.

Had a good Chinese take a way from the Chinese restaurant in Worsley, but note they give a discount for Take a Way and another if you pay cash, I didn't see the notice in time and paid on the card. 

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I always liked the Old number 3 pub when we went up there, it had moorings very close by iirc. Having just looked at this thread though I notice the last time we went in there was august 2000 so its probably been knocked down now lol. Nice canal though if you dodge the beer barrels etc.

Its still there but the moorings tend to fill up

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I wouldn't stay in Leigh either but out of the town up near Plank Lane (ok we're on the LL now) is fine.  You could even stay on the new marina though I think it's very expensive for an overnight (unless of course you are an existing BWML customer). 

Only problem we have had staying in Leigh was the noise from the wagons at Aldi. I thought some fool was running his boat engine in the early hours, but it was a fridge wagon!
As has been siad fine from Plank lane,Leigh flashes are superb, The Old Boat house along to the moorings is fine. TBH there are only a few places along this canal that I wouldn't choose to stay.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

For a one off trip like yours, I would probably avoid The Moorings pub. It's OK, but nothing special.

The Old Boat House at Astley would probably be nicer for a night..... or just before Plank Lane and walk up to the pub recently mentioned here, The Nevison?? 

6 hours ago, Neil2 said:

There's not much benefit from an overnight in Plank Lane, compared with the towpath just opposite, or pretty much anywhere around there. Even in Leigh was OK (NB the visitor mooring is just metres away from Bridgewater - important if running out of days to stay free!), except for the fact that we picked up a load of old clothing around the prop - twice, once when mooring and once when leaving! Plank Lane was OK for us as we booked for ten days whilst we went home - but do note that there is no elsan and our visitor mooring did not have hookup (reduced charge as a result). Very helpful staff but not permanently on site. Run from another marina.

4 hours ago, catweasel said:

Only problem we have had staying in Leigh was the noise from the wagons at Aldi. I thought some fool was running his boat engine in the early hours, but it was a fridge wagon!
As has been siad fine from Plank lane,Leigh flashes are superb, The Old Boat house along to the moorings is fine. TBH there are only a few places along this canal that I wouldn't choose to stay.

I would tend to agree and with the way that the Bridgewater canal was built, deep right up to the canalside, if a place looks like a nice mooring, the odds are that you will be able to get in and moor up, unlike a number of other canals I could mention:unsure:

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Had a good Chinese take a way from the Chinese restaurant in Worsley, but note they give a discount for Take a Way and another if you pay cash, I didn't see the notice in time and paid on the card. 

Its still there but the moorings tend to fill up

You mean 'Fongs'? I remember popping in there on a friday nights  when at Uni. 

Supplementary question one!

The Bridgewater looks to be devoid of Elsan facilities, at least according to my recent Nicholsons.  Where are the elsan points please?

Not that CRT is much better though, the last working Elsan we passed was Nantwich, Anderton one is out of use and that's it for the T&M, and there soes not seem to be much on the L&L going west.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

The Bridgewater looks to be devoid of Elsan facilities, at least according to my recent Nicholsons.  Where are the elsan points please?

Not that CRT is much better though, the last working Elsan we passed was Nantwich, Anderton one is out of use and that's it for the T&M, and there soes not seem to be much on the L&L going west.

Plenty once you know!

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

Anderton is working. It’s the pump out there that isn’t.

Unless it’s gone in the last few days and I’ve not had the crt email update.