Overnight Mooring on the Bridgewater

john6767

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, MHS said:

Anderton is working. It’s the pump out there that isn’t.

Unless it’s gone in the last few days and I’ve not had the crt email update. 

We're currently moored outside (well opposite the marina) and the pump out isn't working, the elsan is locked and the toilet and shower block is also locked, so all you've got here at the moment is water (I think, I haven't tested it) and rubbish disposal.

On the subject of Elsan's on the Bridgewater, don't forget the 'secret' one at Butts Bridge, but you can forget the one at Worsley unless they've turned the water back in on the past week or so.

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

We're currently moored outside (well opposite the marina) and the pump out isn't working, the elsan is locked and the toilet and shower block is also locked, so all you've got here at the moment is water (I think, I haven't tested it) and rubbish disposal.

On the subject of Elsan's on the Bridgewater, don't forget the 'secret' one at Butts Bridge, but you can forget the one at Worsley unless they've turned the water back in on the past week or so.

Yes we stopped at Anderson services yesterday, Elsan and toilets locked and signs saying out of use.  There is just water (working) and rubbish there at the moment.  We are on the Weaver now, went down the lift to use the services in Northwich (well also just ‘cos we can).

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Yes we stopped at Anderson services yesterday, Elsan and toilets locked and signs saying out of use.  There is just water (working) and rubbish there at the moment.  We are on the Weaver now, went down the lift to use the services in Northwich (well also just ‘cos we can).

All elsan points are liable to be clised some time or other, especially from abuse. I am just amazed at the reports of what some folk do . . .

32 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

All elsan points are liable to be clised some time or other, especially from abuse. I am just amazed at the reports of what some folk do . . .

Anderton everything is pumped so a foreign object down anywhere fouls the system up.

I have to say I had not seen the stoppage notice for the Anderton Elsan, it is probably my fault for missing it, but at least the one in Northwich was good, and it gave the lady in the booking office at the boat lift a laugh that we were going down to empty the toilet ?

More importantly thanks for the suggestion of Dunham Massey to moor, without that I would have stopped sooner in some random spot, rather than pushing to get here.  The only issue is almost none existent signal on Three and embarrassingly I am having to piggyback on my wife's EE phone to post this (the shame of it).

Also had a fun time playing spot the Elsan, probably should make it into a board game for boaters!

Now off the Bridgewater in Leigh.  

We had two nights at Little Bollington, and visited the Dunham Massey NT place and ate at the Swan with Two Nicks.  Very pleasant spot.  Yesterday we left there and went through Sale which was impressively clean, but as you come onto the Manchester end there is more rubbish and graffiti, and it takes on a bit of a feel of the BCN New Main Line.  We were held up a long time at the swing aqueduct, and that is not a nice spot at all, dirty and broken glass (beer bottles I assume) everywhere so could not let the dog off really.

When we got to Worsley it was a lot later than we had planned but as there was not a single boat moored there, and it is very noisy from the road, so decided to push on to Boothstown my next potential stopping spot.  We almost did stop on the pub moorings there, there were other boats but still space, but in the end decided to aim for Plank Lane despite the threat of heavy rain.  Coming into Leigh the heavens opened big time, but only really lasted for 10 mins or so.  As we came under the bridge at the start of the L&L there were three boats moored on the towpath, so despite the advice not to stop in Leigh we joined then. A little later a 5th boat joined us.  Noise from the big pub opposite but we countered that by going and having a few drinks there.  Once the pub closed at 11 very quiet, but the pub is open to the early hours Friday and Saturday so probably not such a good spot then.  Aldi is rigt next to the pub, and has lovely air conditioning, which at 9pm last night was very welcome.

So through Wigan today, and we actually have to do locks.

25 minutes ago, john6767 said:

So through Wigan today, and we actually have to do locks.

Stop at the dry dock visitor moorings and have a pint in Wigan Central.  It's obligatory on your way through Wigan.

Also recommend Crooke Hall Inn, or if you like Indian food the Baby Elephant at Gathurst is excellent even though the building looks tired from the canal side.

The Railway at Parbold is quirky and well worth a visit, and if you stop at Burscough try both the Old Packet House and The Hopvine.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Stop at the dry dock visitor moorings and have a pint in Wigan Central.  It's obligatory on your way through Wigan.

Also recommend Crooke Hall Inn, or if you like Indian food the Baby Elephant at Gathurst is excellent even though the building looks tired from the canal side.

The Railway at Parbold is quirky and well worth a visit, and if you stop at Burscough try both the Old Packet House and The Hopvine.

Seconded. My local for two years when we were marina bound.

As well as Lynn, which we thought was very nice with good pubs, we moored in central Manchester in Castlefield and enjoyed it.

Probably less so the other night, allegedly, according to reports on BBC of boats being at risk of being "washed away"... I'm not sure where you get washed away to on the Bridgewater mind.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-49149281

3 hours ago, Jonkx said:

As well as Lynn, which we thought was very nice with good pubs, we moored in central Manchester in Castlefield and enjoyed it.

Probably less so the other night, allegedly, according to reports on BBC of boats being at risk of being "washed away"... I'm not sure where you get washed away to on the Bridgewater mind.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-49149281

I expect the words, "washed away", were journalistic exaggeration. However, as a canal rises, to overflow onto the mooring/toepath, it is entirely possible that a boat can float over the mooring and, as the water subsides, it could end up sitting on the shore or, more likely, catch on the shore, and tip over to the point where water ingresses and overcomes it.

I returned to my boat on the Bridgewater tonight, slightly worried that this might have happened, although I did think I would have received a call from the club to let me know if there was an issue. As it happens, all was well.

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I expect the words, "washed away", were journalistic exaggeration. However, as a canal rises, to overflow onto the mooring/toepath, it is entirely possible that a boat can float over the mooring and, as the water subsides, it could end up sitting on the shore or, more likely, catch on the shore, and tip over to the point where water ingresses and overcomes it.

Which is why it is a good reason to carry two boat poles instead of one.

On 22/07/2019 at 22:46, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Hi

Where is the secret one at Butts Bridge?

If it is in the Marina each time I pass it there is a rope across the enterance. How do you get to use there services?

29 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Hi

Where is the secret one at Butts Bridge?

If it is in the Marina each time I pass it there is a rope across the enterance. How do you get to use there services?

Standing on the towpath (its on the opposite side) it is to the right of Butts Bridge and to the left of the pub beer garden. It seems to have been an old public toilet, most of which has closed down except the boaters bit, there is a sign (not very clear) above the door. I also found it is impossible to access from shore except through the beer garden.

30 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Standing on the towpath (its on the opposite side) it is to the right of Butts Bridge and to the left of the pub beer garden. It seems to have been an old public toilet, most of which has closed down except the boaters bit, there is a sign (not very clear) above the door. I also found it is impossible to access from shore except through the beer garden.

Thanks for the reply.

If anyone passing could post a photo which would be helpful.

55 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Thanks for the reply.

If anyone passing could post a photo which would be helpful.

Copied this from another thread

image.png.e8e1bf312cbf2c0c1f1521a2586e879d.png

Its the well camouflaged brick building in the background (where the handrail leads up to)

Butts Bridge itself is immediately behind the boat.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

3 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I found little problem of landing other than if you are coming from Liverpool direction then if is a blind location immediately after the bridge. It is not a quality facility, but none are on Bridgewater save for those provided by third parties.