Boat cilled in stoke hammond lock

dccruiser

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

I believe that’s one of the Soulbury Three Locks, not Stoke Hammond lock.

Well actually it is probably more accurately Stoke Hammond Three Locks - the use of Soulbury is a more recent invention I think, but not how working boaters would have know them.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No name, no CRT number, no visible licence - could it be that CRT have devised kind of bear trap for those trying to sneak under the radar? ;)

The boat was apparently on sale on ebay for 12k and the seller had let the potential buyer take it for a test run , so its a very expensive mistake!

Rick

23 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

That'll be an interesting one for the insurers - is it known of the owner was on board at the time? I'd expect them to wiggle out of any liability if he wasn't.

Tam

Apparently not and worse still no money had changed hands

28 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is the reason it is a Good Idea for NOBODY to be aboard a boat in a lock. 

Personally if you have someone on lock duties I think you are better having someone onboard...I know when my bow fender caught on a gate being onboard meant I could sense it much sooner than I could have if I had been up on the bank. A shout to drop paddles and a bit of hard reverse saved everything. 

If I’m on my own then I’m always on the bank mind you. 

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is the reason it is a Good Idea for NOBODY to be aboard a boat in a lock. 

15 hours ago, frangar said:

Personally if you have someone on lock duties I think you are better having someone onboard...I know when my bow fender caught on a gate being onboard meant I could sense it much sooner than I could have if I had been up on the bank. A shout to drop paddles and a bit of hard reverse saved everything. 

If I’m on my own then I’m always on the bank mind you. 

My "rules" state that no-one is to be aboard the boat in a lock unless someone is in attendance at any open paddles. Single handed I think this complies with @Mike the Boilerman 's sensible mantra, when crewed it covers @frangar"s pragmatic take on things.

Just now, Sea Dog said:

My "rules" state that no-one is to be aboard the boat in a lock unless someone is in attendance at any open paddles. Single handed I think this complies with @Mike the Boilerman 's sensible mantra, when crewed it covers @frangar"s pragmatic take on things.

I think that 'someone' needs to be a crew member not some random perhaps from another boat. As solo boater it is not that rare to get just such a random whack the paddles wide open and then walk away after ten or fifteen seconds. Then what do I do if the bow fender gets jammed in the gate and I'm standing on the counter?

Somewhat understandable behaviour as is it not their boat in the lock and they have another boat to look after. 

15 hours ago, Capt Ahab said:

With most of it above the water it should be recoverable by RCR.

The picture seems odd to me.

I don't think the pound has been lowered significantly, and if the front of the boat were genuinely on the bottom, I'd expect it to look a lot more submerged.

Looks like it#s not down as far as you  would expect, but I can't see how that's actually possible,

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The picture seems odd to me.

I don't think the pound has been lowered significantly, and if the front of the boat were genuinely on the bottom, I'd expect it to look a lot more submerged.

Looks like it#s not down as far as you  would expect, but I can't see how that's actually possible,

It looks as though the front is supported by ropes running from the boat to the bottom of the ladder -----this may just be strong enough to support it. 

Just now, LEO said:

It looks as though the front is supported by ropes running from the boat to the bottom of the ladder -----this may just be strong enough to support it. 

Yes I saw the rope, but at that abgle I doubt it's holding te front up.

The angle the picture is taken from helps confuse.

It is reported that it's a Springer, and short.

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

not some random perhaps from another boat. As solo boater it is not that rare to get just such a random whack the paddles wide open and then walk away after ten or fifteen seconds 

Or even a Volockie, last trip I had one open the paddles then walk away, sit down back to the lock and do his crossword, on the same trip another was so busy on her phone that she had problems drawing the paddle and then just wandered back and forth, no windlass at had chatting. Even the next volockie complained that she hadn't bothered to radio him to say we were coming down. Needless to say that in the first instance Diana was on the lock side, unlike the boat we were sharing with and on the second one I was up there and no one on the boat.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think that 'someone' needs to be a crew member not some random perhaps from another boat. As solo boater it is not that rare to get just such a random whack the paddles wide open and then walk away after ten or fifteen seconds. Then what do I do if the bow fender gets jammed in the gate and I'm standing on the counter?

Somewhat understandable behaviour as is it not their boat in the lock and they have another boat to look after. 

I always take a link out of one if the side chains when i fit a bow fender and substitute it with a tie wrap , that way should the worse happen the tie wrap will break and the fender will roll over the bow , rather than the boat hanging .... I have done this to in excess of 30 boats and have so far had 2 reports back of it saving someones pride and joy.

Rick

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Agreed. We never let anyone else operate paddles if we can help it...and if they do then they are watched closely. We have both yelled at people who try and take over...including Vlockies.....I might not win friends but I’d rather have a floating boat....

• Greenie 1