Latest CRT Reservoir Watch report

Big Bob W

Featured Posts

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/40442-july-2019-reservoir-watch.pdf

It would be good to see a relaxation in the restrictions on the Buckby/Braunston/Stoke Bruerne flights. Reservoirs here sitting at around 73% according to this report. (2% up on the same period last year).

I am still sceptical about how much the restrictions help - other than encouraging lock sharing. It is still the same number of boat movements, just concentrated into a 6 hour period. 

40 minutes ago, Big Bob W said:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/40442-july-2019-reservoir-watch.pdf

It would be good to see a relaxation in the restrictions on the Buckby/Braunston/Stoke Bruerne flights. Reservoirs here sitting at around 73% according to this report. (2% up on the same period last year).

I am still sceptical about how much the restrictions help - other than encouraging lock sharing. It is still the same number of boat movements, just concentrated into a 6 hour period. 

CRT say that there are fewer boat movements overall when lock hours are restricted.

Our limited cruising this year has experienced a distinct lack of boat movement. Its mid July, we are in Willington and not a boat has passed us in the last hour. Despite being near one of the largest inland marinas in the country. 

Hoping they do relax the restrictions around Braunston and Watford though. 

I suspect that water restrictions are seen as a step on the way to closures and so some boaters will not set off on a big summer trip in case they can not get home again, bad news for boating. I heard a theory that boating on the Thames declined significantly after the flooding a few summers ago, boaters felt "why should I spend all this money keeping a boat if I can't even use it in my holidays"

................Dave

I had planned to go up the Leicester arm to Market Harborough but was put off by the worry of restrictions becoming a full closure and not being able to get south without going the long way round...so that was 1 boat movement less...?

Wormleighton reservoir was 1m down on normal level according to the sight gauge on it yesterday.

Water level was about a foot below the level of the concrete spill channel connecting it to the cut so I'm not sure what's in there is of any use to CRT, unless there are other ways of getting water out of it into the canal.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Wormleighton reservoir was 1m down on normal level according to the sight gauge on it yesterday.

Water level was about a foot below the level of the concrete spill channel connecting it to the cut so I'm not sure what's in there is of any use to CRT, unless there are other ways of getting water out of it into the canal.

Is that the spill channel at the southern end/corner? I saw that when I was up there this spring and wondered the same thing. I thought it looked like there might be another connection to the canal half way along...