Shoreline fridge- no power connectors - advice please

Sofia

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The mm square vs square mm confusion can be easily got round by using a unit of area for conductor measurement, rather than a linear unit. I propose an imperial unit to keep the crustier forum members happy. The nanoAcre.

1nanoAcre = 4.0469mm2

or 1mm2 roughly equals 1/4 nanoAcre.

Jen

Perfect. So for each metre that a fridge run is from the batteries you require 0.25nA. I second your proposal. 

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did i not earlier in the thread propose using hectares??!

Yes you did, but that was just silly. 

Rethinking the nomenclature I think nA is confusing as it could be confused with current. I propose nAc. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The mm square vs square mm confusion can be easily got round by using a unit of area for conductor measurement, rather than a linear unit. I propose an imperial unit to keep the crustier forum members happy. The nanoAcre.

1nanoAcre = 4.0469mm2

or 1mm2 roughly equals 1/4 nanoAcre.

Jen

What fraction of a1mm2 would a NanoNano (also called a Mork) be ?

Not sure why there is such a problem with this.  I used a large choc block which fitted the fridge tails, and doubled over the 6mm^2  into the other side of the choc block.

Fitted it twelve years ago and it is as solid now as it was then.  No problem with voltage drop, less than 0.2V difference to breaker over about 6 metres.

2 minutes ago, dor said:

Not sure why there is such a problem with this.  I used a large choc block which fitted the fridge tails, and doubled over the 6mm^2  into the other side of the choc block.

Fitted it twelve years ago and it is as solid now as it was then.  No problem with voltage drop, less than 0.2V difference to breaker over about 6 metres.

Choc blocks are bodgetastic!!

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Well, choc blocks with ferrules, not in a hostile environment, are fine for 12v DC

Possibly, but for joining two widely differing cable sizes till seems like a bodge.

What would be used on an aircraft?

A good way of using a choc block with different sized cables is to use one capable of taking both cables together. Strip enough on both cables so that they sit under both screws, with the smaller one trapped under the larger.

Richard

24 minutes ago, Ryeland said:

A good way of using a choc block with different sized cables is to use one capable of taking both cables together. Strip enough on both cables so that they sit under both screws, with the smaller one trapped under the larger.

Richard

..... ferrules are required by RCD (as implied by Nick) - a large ferrule to include the tails of both the thick and the thin cable, trapped in a choc block - what's not to like?

51 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

..... ferrules are required by RCD (as implied by Nick) - a large ferrule to include the tails of both the thick and the thin cable, trapped in a choc block - what's not to like?

See post #36. 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Possibly, but for joining two widely differing cable sizes till seems like a bodge.

What would be used on an aircraft?

I can’t think of a situation where cables of widely differing sizes would need to be joined directly. Normally it would be done via a bus bar of some sort.

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I can’t think of a situation where cables of widely differing sizes would need to be joined directly.

What? You don't ever have Shoreline fridges in helicopters to keep the pilot's beer cold?? ?

On 22/07/2019 at 18:54, dor said:

Me neither soldering iron and heat shrink...

job done 

I bought one of those DC clamp meters touted in another thread. Like a kid with a new toy, I went around looking what everything was drawing. It was interesting to see that, as I'm on shore power, the Victron carries all the load. My fridge and freezer each drawing around 4 amps when running, and the main water pump about 15 amps. Batteries remain on trickle the whole time (0.6 amp). They only seem to kick in when the Inverter wakes up.  

On 22/07/2019 at 11:18, Murflynn said:

pity Shoreline couldn't provide something like that in the first place - unless, as I suspect, the fridge isn't new and someone has snipped off the cables.

I bought a new shoreline a year or two ago. It came with wire tails as per the OP’s picture. The tails terminated on the compressor control unit with crimped female spade connectors.

2 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

I bought a new shoreline a year or two ago. It came with wire tails as per the OP’s picture. The tails terminated on the compressor control unit with crimped female spade connectors.

So you threw them away, crimped some nice new spade terminals to the feed cables and connected them direct, thereby eliminating one more connection. Yes?

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

So you threw them away, crimped some nice new spade terminals to the feed cables and connected them direct, thereby eliminating one more connection. Yes?

No, the feed cables are slightly too short ?. Yellow butt splice crimps, replacing a very old and dodgy choc block. I did briefly consider a couple of terminal posts on the wall and a new length down to the fridge, it’s on the “one day” list....

7 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

No, the feed cables are slightly too short ?. Yellow butt splice crimps, replacing a very old and dodgy choc block. I did briefly consider a couple of terminal posts on the wall and a new length down to the fridge, it’s on the “one day” list....

I saw some round tuits for sale in Blackpool a few years ago, they may still have some. 

• Happy 1