End on junctions (and stop locks!)

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Napton, Frogall (Caldon and Uttoxeter Canals) come to mind. Also, did the Nottingham Canal come later than the Cromford at Langley Mill?

In general the canal network was constructed as incremental extensions from the river navigations, so extending successively towards higher ground. So there won't be many places where the later canal drops down.

Yes, and it had a stop lock which I believe fell from the Cromford to the Nottingham (and unusually, was wide)

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Tipton Junction - meeting of Birmingham Canal (old line) and Dudley Canal. Not to be confused with Factory Junction.

JP

Ta, I know where it is now but still can't picture it in detail - I'll have a look

To add another one to this discussion. The junction of the Melton Mowbray navigation and the Oakham canal was end on. Neither have been navigable for a very long time. The Oakham canal closing in 1847 to allow the construction of the Syston to Peterborough railway The Melton Mowbray navigation was abandoned by act of parliament in 1877

• Greenie 1

On 20/07/2019 at 10:20, David Mack said:

This is an interesting one. To a casual observer the Braunston Marina arm may appear to be  a side branch off the through route. But when the Grand Junction Canal (now the GU) joined the older Oxford Canal the through route was between the west and south arms of the current junction, the west arm past the Stop House being the route north and the line to Napton and Oxford running along the marina arm and round in a big loop to rejoin the current route west of Braunston Turn. This loop was cut off when the Puddle Bank was built as part of the North Oxford shortening.

I have a feeling the GJC/GU line between the bottom lock and the present marina entrance may also have changed when the reservoirs (now Braunston Marina mooring basins) were built.

So the original Oxford/GJC junction was probably different to that we see today.

OxfordpreGJ377.jpg

GUOpened376.jpg

Does the original junction of the Coventry and Oxford canals qualify?

220010.jpg.8e5effcd72b451d925a3ea9beacd9c28.jpg

Edited by Ray T

The Warwick and Napton joins the Warwick and Birmingham a few hundred yards from the end of the latter, so the W&B must have been conceived first. There is a logic, any sensible design of canal will terminate in a basin, and making the junction in the basin is messy and disruptive to wharfage etc, 

The acts for each were indeed one year apart with the Warwick & Birmingham granted first, but factors arising out of construction or through construction does always follow this pattern. The original Birmingham Canal terminus beside the old Dudley turnpike was extended to new wharves near Newhall Street and Great Charles Street.

Duke's Lock between the Oxford Canal and the Duke's Cut - which is on a level with the Thames.  It used to have two sets of gates, depending on the difference in levels between the River and the Canal.  If the Thames was really low it prevented the Oxford emptying into the River.  

On 20/07/2019 at 19:00, magpie patrick said:

There are still a few locks where one must hold two licenses to pass (Bancroft and lock 17 on the Northampton arm for example)

And soon to be two more, at Stanground and Salter's Lode when the Middle Level get around to issuing licenses. I don't know about Stanground, but at Salter's Lode, the authority changes at the guillotine gate - that belongs to the ML, but the river side lock landing and the dredged channel to the lock are EA territory.

MP.

I am surprised that the Wardle Branch has not made to your list- read my Borders Canal book please. And if you have not got one please speak to the Audlem book shop.

Edited by Heartland

On 21/07/2019 at 11:21, magpie patrick said:

Yes, and it had a stop lock which I believe fell from the Cromford to the Nottingham (and unusually, was wide)

Ta, I know where it is now but still can't picture it in detail - I'll have a look

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1351900

I think the link above may be what was the stop lock at Tipton Junction.

• Greenie 1

One that I don't think has been mentioned is the join between the Chester Canal and the Birmingham & Liverpool Junction Canal at Nantwich.  I understand that, Whilst strictly speaking this is not an end on junction due to the basin arm, it was originally planned that the later B&LJ canal would meet the Chester Canal end on.  However the owner of nearby Dorfold Hall objected to the canal crossing his land which necessitated the building of the substantial embankment to take the canal further to the west.

4 hours ago, dor said:

One that I don't think has been mentioned is the join between the Chester Canal and the Birmingham & Liverpool Junction Canal at Nantwich.  I understand that, Whilst strictly speaking this is not an end on junction due to the basin arm, it was originally planned that the later B&LJ canal would meet the Chester Canal end on.  However the owner of nearby Dorfold Hall objected to the canal crossing his land which necessitated the building of the substantial embankment to take the canal further to the west.

Indeed - and the embankment proved troublesome to build too, it was the only B&LJC embankment that Telford hadn't planned (but not the only one that kept slipping)

42 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1351900

That is Rob-M's link. Another image from that set shows what is clearly the remains of an island for toll collection (probably). You can see the towpath has been built over the lost channel:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2324373

Never noticed that. It’s obviously a much rebuilt location. Will be passing through there in about three weeks time. I’ll have a good look.

JP

6 hours ago, dor said:

And does a stub of the Chester Canal meet the Ellesmere Canal end on at Chester? I did think about the original intended line of the Ellesmere Canal and figured there might be some examples in that area but I don’t know it that well.

JP

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:31, magpie patrick said:

Intriguing - oh what tangled webs etc!

Does that mean it became the Rochdale's lock after 1899?

As I read it, the lock belonged to The Duke, but was still a part of the Rochdale Canal.

So the junction is at the foot of Lock 92

On 20/07/2019 at 16:17, captain birdseye said:

Ashton Canal to the Huddersfield Narrow. The junction is at the wharf below lock 1 West the Ashton canal continuing beyond it's junction with the Lower Peak Forest at Dukinfield Junction

And the junction with the Huddersfield Broad canal at the other end is surely "end on"? 

As I understand it the definition of an end on junction is where you can't tell, visually, which canal came first. 

If you didn't already know, Apsley basin could have been the terminus of the narrow canal though it was originally the end of the broad canal.  

22 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

As I understand it the definition of an end on junction is where you can't tell, visually, which canal came first. 

That's a pretty good working definition - I'd used the Churchill hippopotamus one - can't define it, but recognise it when you see it

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

And does a stub of the Chester Canal meet the Ellesmere Canal end on at Chester? I did think about the original intended line of the Ellesmere Canal and figured there might be some examples in that area but I don’t know it that well.

JP

Good question - Was the junction of the two at the bottom of Northgate (which lost two chambers in the process) or at the top of the Dee Banch? 

42 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

If you didn't already know, Apsley basin could have been the terminus of the narrow canal though it was originally the end of the broad canal.  

I thought the Broad Canal originally terminated the other side of Wakefield Road from Apsley Basin. But with Wakefield Road bridge having been rebuilt to narrow canal dimensions it is now in effect part of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

I thought the Broad Canal originally terminated the other side of Wakefield Road from Apsley Basin. But with Wakefield Road bridge having been rebuilt to narrow canal dimensions it is now in effect part of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal.

Actually I believe the official end of the broad canal is still, technically, west of the A629, in fact I think lock 1E is the junction.  But I think that connection was made when the narrow canal was built - quite why the owners decided to extend the broad canal to meet the new narrow one I don't know, but I think the original terminus of the broad canal was the basin.  I'm guessing that when the narrow canal was proposed, the owners of the broad canal saw some advantage in having their canal extended to access the mills beyond the  original terminus, but I don't know - maybe the canal already did this - maybe one of our Pennine canals experts can shed light on it.

In any event, it's an end on junction.

I am not sure if the definition of an end on junction is where you tell which canal came first, although it is a good guide.

End on Junctions simply mean the joining of a canal or river navigation with another canal or river navigation so that the water of the navigation are united and there is no further navigation for either waterway that extends in any direction.

No complications, no other examples such as the Birmingham & Liverpool Junction and the Chester Canal, where the terminal basin at Nantwich was south of the junction.

If I follow this criteria 

I believe a suitable list is

End-on junctions for Seperate Navigations

Ant/North Walsham & Dilham Canal at Wayford Bridge

Arun/Wey and Arun

Ashton / Huddersfield Narrow at Ashton

Ashton (Tame Aqueduct Branch)/ Peak Forest at Dukinfield Junction

Bridgwater/L&L at Leigh

Bridgewater/T&M Preston Brook

Bridgewater (Rochdale Canal Lock)/ Rochdale Canal at Castlefields

BCN Newhall Branch/ Charles Colmore’s extension to Newhall Ring

BCN/ Coventry Canal at Fazeley Junction

BCN/ Coventry Canal at Whittington Brook

BCN/Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal at Churchbridge

Cromford/Erewash at Langley Mill

Driffield Navigation/ River Hull at Struncheon Hill Lock

Droitwich/Droitwich Junction at Droitwich

Grand Junction/ River Nene at Northampton

Huddersfiels Broad/ Huddersfield Narrow at Huddersfield

Lancaster Canal/ Leeds & Liverpool at Johnsons Hillock

Leicester Navigation/ Leicester & Northampton Union Canal at Leicester

Lydney/Pidcocks Canal at Lydney

Macclesfield Canal/ T & M (Hall End Branch)

Manchester Ship Canal/ River Irwell (Upper Reach) at Salford

Melton Mowbray Navigation/ Oakham Canal at Melton Mowbray

Monmouthshire/ Brecon & Abergavenny at Pontymoyle  

Ripon/ River Ure at Oxclose Lock

Stourbridge to Dudley at the bottom of Delph

SU (Middlewich Branch)/ T & M (Wardle Branch) at Middlewich

I did think also of

Ellesmere & Chester Canal/ Plaskynaston Canal at Trevor

But as I am trying to prove that the Iron Warehouse Basin was part of the original Ellesmere Canal, and as this was north of the junction with the Plaskynaston Canal, then this also does not meet this criteria.