Unidentified heavy object

headjog

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Stedman II said:

Can anyone advise how to ensure a tight fit between this sort of tiller hinge and the tiller  itself? It looks like it should be a push-fit,  but there's not enough friction to stop the hinge rotating.

I expect the heavy knurled pattern on the ends that push in to the tiller tubes will provide a good grip and resistance to rotation. Not fitted one myself, but suspect it is more of a hammer fit, than a push fit. The boaters I've known who've had these tillers never had that problem. Obviously need to buy the correct internal diameter tiller tube.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

14 minutes ago, Stedman II said:

Can anyone advise how to ensure a tight fit between this sort of tiller hinge and the tiller  itself? It looks like it should be a push-fit,  but there's not enough friction to stop the hinge rotating.

I used a hammer and block of wood to fit mine, once in it has no movement whatsoever 

Rick

On 19/07/2019 at 20:08, BilgePump said:

Imperial still has its place. Some people still trade in halves, quarters, eights, teenths etc for all sorts of things, some a bit shady. As a kid you would buy a quarter of wine gums. Ask for an 8x4 sheet, 2440x1220 is what you get, same thing. When I'm doing woodwork it's easy enough to mix the two, yep 6mm ply but I measure linear sizes in inches.

eta:  not an engineer but 0.0254 mm seems a lot more complicted than a thou of an inch and tapes that go to 32nds are more accurate than those to a mm.

We all talk about 56' ish boats for access to the network but who decides to spec a boat at 17.0688 metres?

And timber is still sold by length in “metric feet “,  I.e. 1.8 metres, 2.1, 2.4 etc.

9 hours ago, dor said:

And timber is still sold by length in “metric feet “,  I.e. 1.8 metres, 2.1, 2.4 etc.

Just last week I bought a few 2.7 lengths of 3x2. I knew what I meant and so did the wood yard. 

Even though my 3x2 was 70x47...

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2019 at 20:08, BilgePump said:

Imperial still has its place. Some people still trade in halves, quarters, eights, teenths etc for all sorts of things, some a bit shady. As a kid you would buy a quarter of wine gums. Ask for an 8x4 sheet, 2440x1220 is what you get, same thing. When I'm doing woodwork it's easy enough to mix the two, yep 6mm ply but I measure linear sizes in inches.

eta:  not an engineer but 0.0254 mm seems a lot more complicted than a thou of an inch and tapes that go to 32nds are more accurate than those to a mm.

We all talk about 56' ish boats for access to the network but who decides to spec a boat at 17.0688 metres?

I once went to the timber merchant and asked for a six foot length of timber for my 6 foot bench and when I got back home it as and inch short.  "That's a metric 6 foot, sir" they said when I complained

1 hour ago, Theo said:

I once went to the timber merchant and asked for a six foot length of timber for my 6 foot bench and when I got back home it as and inch short.  "That's a metric 6 foot, sir" they said when I complained

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me ;)

You'd have moaned that you’d bought too much if they’d sold you 2m :P