Unidentified heavy object

headjog

Featured Posts

I think this may be a thing, boaty but I have no idea. I found it whilst sorting through my old man's boxes of stuff, from his boat & dumped in garage for the last 9 years. Can anyone recognise what it is or what its supposed to do please? It feels & looks like solid brass, it's very heavy. I might keep it to fend off unwanted door traffic! 

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

6 minutes ago, headjog said:

I think this may be a thing, boaty but I have no idea. I found it whilst sorting through my old man's boxes of stuff, from his boat & dumped in garage for the last 9 years. Can anyone recognise what it is or what its supposed to do please? It feels & looks like solid brass, it's very heavy. I might keep it to fend off unwanted door traffic! 

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

It looks very much like a hinged tiller fitting for a narrow boat. Instead of a fixed tiller it allows the tiller to be raised to avoid obstructing the deck when moored.

when moored

Howard

? Thanks for the prompt replies, that would make sense! It's been bugging me every time I move it. I could do some serious damage if I belted someone with it! 

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought it looked a bit small for that until I realised they are inches not cm on the tape measure!

Yes, sorry, am a total dinosaur. I have to measure stuff in imperial for it to make any sense & then convert it to metric for buying purposes. 

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

When did you last see a tape measure graduated in centimetres and eighths of a centimetre?

That's how I figured it out eventually! 

In partial defence I am looking at it on my phone, not my laptop, and on this screen they are very small inches!

32 minutes ago, David Mack said:

When did you last see a tape measure graduated in centimetres and eighths of a centimetre?

Those of us who are fully metricated expect subdivisions to come in fives and tens, and don't bother with unnecessary mental arithmetic. 

A picture of a tape measure with no visible units is just a picture of a tape with numbers on.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Those of us who are fully metricated expect subdivisions to come in fives and tens, and don't bother with unnecessary mental arithmetic. 

A picture of a tape measure with no visible units is just a picture of a tape with numbers on.

Imperial still has its place. Some people still trade in halves, quarters, eights, teenths etc for all sorts of things, some a bit shady. As a kid you would buy a quarter of wine gums. Ask for an 8x4 sheet, 2440x1220 is what you get, same thing. When I'm doing woodwork it's easy enough to mix the two, yep 6mm ply but I measure linear sizes in inches.

eta:  not an engineer but 0.0254 mm seems a lot more complicted than a thou of an inch and tapes that go to 32nds are more accurate than those to a mm.

We all talk about 56' ish boats for access to the network but who decides to spec a boat at 17.0688 metres?

Edited by BilgePump

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I dont know where you live? but here in the British isles known as the UK we are far from " Fully metricated " The list is endless in applications that we dont use foreign measurements. Ive just taken a quick piccie of two of my tapes both bought in recent years from B and Q and homebase. You will see the largest print is in English with Imperial measurements with smaller Johny Foreigner stuff at the bottom of the tape.

IMG_20190719_201240.jpg

We got one... the pic below is upside down, the pointy bit is at the bottom. When the tiller is in up position, and you're bending down under it, securing the stern mooring ropes... whatever you do be careful getting up as there's a real chance you'll get brained!

TILLER HINGE H.D. LIFT UP BRASS

Edited by Jennifer McM

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You get 10p change, or 2/- if you are @mrsmelly

Was given an old 6d in my change in the local Coop a few months ago along with a new 5p. Quite similar in size. Didn't they go out in the early 80s with a value of 2.5 new pence? God knows how deep someone had been digging in a very old sofa to find that one!

Just now, BilgePump said:

Was given an old 6d in my change in the local Coop a few months ago along with a new 5p. Quite similar in size. Didn't they go out in the early 80s with a value of 2.5 new pence? God knows how deep someone had been digging in a very old sofa to find that one!

If it's an old one the value of the silver in it is considerably more than 5p!

26 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

You just use which ever is best for the job in hand, Imperial measurements are often better for judging by eye

Yes true and also being six feet tall is far easier to visualise than one thousand eight hundred and twenty eight point eight millimetres 

2 hours ago, Floating Male said:

Wow £60.

Glad I don't need one! ?

Until a couple of months ago they were 96 quid at midland swindlers, guess they dropped the price as they didnt sell too many ... I know this as i wanted one, thankfully I bought one someone had never go around to fitting for 20 quid.

Rick