Could the water be a build up of condensation?

Featured Posts

Next to the shower, and in the cupboard where the gulper is, there's access to the bilge. 

We were slightly concerned over the winter months as we were mopping up about a litre of clear water over about 2/3 weeks from the bilge. As the weather appeared to warm up, the water became less, and we forgot about checking. This morning we checked after about 3 months (?) and the bilge is dry :)

I'm guessing this is what 'normally' happens on boats?

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

Next to the shower, and in the cupboard where the gulper is, there's access to the bilge. 

We were slightly concerned over the winter months as we were mopping up about a litre of clear water over about 2/3 weeks from the bilge. As the weather appeared to warm up, the water became less, and we forgot about checking. This morning we checked after about 3 months (?) and the bilge is dry :)

Ours was thus all winter. Loads of disposable nappies from asda periodically bunged in next to the Gulper and on the bottom plate where accessible (access in ours similar to yours.) Also those crystal filled dehumidifier things from hardware shops soak up surprising amounts of water. We have a few at strategic points in the boat.
If I was on shore power, I would buy an electrically  powered dehumidifier. Having seen how they improve condensation levels in some buildings I wouldn't hesitate. 

6 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Ours was thus all winter. Loads of disposable nappies from asda periodically bunged in next to the Gulper and on the bottom plate where accessible (access in ours similar to yours.) Also those crystal filled dehumidifier things from hardware shops soak up surprising amounts of water. We have a few at strategic points in the boat.
If I was on shore power, I would buy an electrically  powered dehumidifier. Having seen how they improve condensation levels in some buildings I wouldn't hesitate. 

Thanks for the reassurance :) - good tip about the disposable nappies, will give that a try when that time comes.

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Thanks for the reassurance :) - good tip about the disposable nappies, will give that a try when that time comes.

Yes disposable nappies are good, or cat litter in an old pair of tights. 

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Do not ever forget you have left a nappy in the bilge,  they do a great job just don't forget them :)

4 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

It doesn't normally happen on my boat. I've got quite a few bilge inspection hatches and don't get any condensation down there, summer or winter.

I'm not sure why it happens on some boats but not others?

• Happy 1

16 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unless the shower is right at the back it might be an idea to consider cutting a trap in the floor just in front of the rear bulkhead. Water will collect at the back first on most boats.

The shower's in the middle of the boat. Other areas in the boat there doesn't appear to a problem, thank goodness.  We checked the shower and the gulper, and it appears there's no leaks. ?

The shower's in the middle of the boat. Other areas in the boat there doesn't appear to a problem, thank goodness.  We checked the shower and the gulper, and it appears there's no leaks. ?

Same set up and same findings as us. A computer fan in a roof vent does help too (get the more powerful type if you go down this route.) 

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Same set up and same findings as us. A computer fan in a roof vent does help too (get the more powerful type if you go down this route.) 

You might have clicked on something there. We do have a computer fan working, but about a year ago the switches were changed; when the light gets switched on the fan would come on too, the fan now has its own independent switch. I must admit, I barely remember to switch on the fan when having a shower. ?

You've now got me thinking, this may now have made things worse.

You might have clicked on something there. We do have a computer fan working, but about a year ago the switches were changed; when the light gets switched on the fan would come on too, the fan now has its own independent switch. I must admit, I barely remember to switch on the fan when having a shower. ?

You've now got me thinking, this may now have made things worse.

I suspect it will have made things worse. I let ours run for maybe an hour after showers. 

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

I must admit, I barely remember to switch on the fan when having a shower. ?

Wire it to the gulper, preferably on an overrunning timer circuit.  Either that or have it run permanently so you always have forced ventilation through the heads.  This has certain other advantages ...

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, catweasel said:

I suspect it will have made things worse. I let ours run for maybe an hour after showers. 

Yours isn't noisy? Ours is, even just after it was cleaned. Perhaps a new fan is needed :) 

The one in the galley is noisy too ?

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Wire it to the gulper, preferably on an overrunning timer circuit.  Either that or have it run permanently so you always have forced ventilation through the heads.  This has certain other advantages ...

That sounds like a plan! Thank you. 

See..... this is why CW is so good, lots of great advice. 

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you have a reasonable amount of solar you could wire the fan to the controllers LOAD connection and then the fan would run during daylight for free.

Thank you Tony! This is a suggestion I'll put to 'management' over breakfast, he's sure to be impressed by your my suggestion ?

It does sound like those fans need to be worked - it's obvious now!

Condensation control is a bit like HS & E. 

ELIMINATE

It is a bit drastic to stop breathing, cooking, or washing. but a PRV valve regularily spurting  into the bilge is a problem.

MINIMISE

Don't let the pots boil for ages. Short showers. Minimise indoor clothes drying

CONTROL 

Extract moisture  as close to source as possible,  Fit and use the shower extra fan,   and also preferably an above above stove extract fan.  Mop up and wipe down free water on windows,  shower walls, and in the bilge, as soon as it occurs and as close to source as you can get.

Any free water inside the cabin and bilge will evaporate and then  re -condense onto the coolest surfaces available ,including on your best clothes in the wardrobe and food in the pantry, allowing mould and mildew growth. 

Getting every drop out of the cabin and off the boat is another mould in waiting dealt to.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, DandV said:

ELIMINATE

It is a bit drastic to stop breathing, cooking, or washing. but a PRV valve regularily spurting  into the bilge is a problem.

MINIMISE

CONTROL 

Extract moisture  as close to source as possible,  Fit and use the shower extra fan,   and also preferably an above above stove extract fan.  Mop up and wipe down free water on windows,  shower walls, and in the bilge, as soon as it occurs and as close to source as you can get.

Any free water inside the cabin and bilge will evaporate and then  re -condense onto the coolest surfaces available ,including on your best clothes in the wardrobe and food in the pantry, allowing mould and mildew growth. 

Getting every drop out of the cabin and off the boat is another mould in waiting dealt to.

And add a notice suggesting that those who stand ensure their aim is accurate.......

• Horror 1

25 minutes ago, DandV said:

ELIMINATE

MINIMISE

CONTROL 

We've not had a problem (luckily) where the bilge pump has been triggered :) yet....

Thanks for the tips DandV, you've highlighted areas where 'we can do better'.

Been looking at 12v extractor fans.... they look to do a much more 'beefy' job than computer fans we now have.

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

Been looking at 12v extractor fans.... they look to do a much more 'beefy' job than computer fans we now have.

Just watch out that most 12V extractor fans are AC not DC.  Unless you want to run the fan via the inverter and a transformer you will need a 12V DC fan.

• Greenie 1

When I prepared Innisfree's shell for fitting out I was advised to extend the blacking of the top or inner side of the bottom plate to above the water line on the side plate. I ignored that as I didn't want issues with sprayfoam adhesion so I blacked to what would be the finished floor level on the assumption that canal water doesn't freeze at that depth and therefore wouldn't need sprayfoam there to prevent condensation. By the time I had finished the sprayfoam down to that level and completed the fit out cold weather had arrived and I noticed condensation on the section of uninsulated side plate but not on the bottom plate, I assumed that it would stop when I put the boat in the water which of course it didn't. Observing this over time I noticed that any condensation forming on the bottom plate would quickly evaporate but on the vertical section it would form and then trickle down to the baseplate only to be replaced with more, a continuous supply of distilled water! The lesson learned here is to insulate right down to the bottom plate. 

2 hours ago, DandV said:

ELIMINATE

MINIMISE

CONTROL 

Some great tips there. We used to use a Karcher window vac to get condense off windows etc. Great bit of kit.
Last year we used secondary glazing for the first time. We got polysomething sheet cut to size which attaches with magnetic strip. This made a big difference to the windows, but of course the condensation looks for somewhere else to download. Like the bliges in the bathroom for example! 
As stated earlier, having seen the results from fitting dehumidifiers in problem homes, if ever I have the luxury of shorepower, a dehumidifier is top of my wish list.

4 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Yours isn't noisy? Ours is, even just after it was cleaned. Perhaps a new fan is needed :) 

The one in the galley is noisy too ?

Sometimes my industrial deafness is a bonus! That said my better half has never commented on them being noisy, and I am certain she would!
Ours are computer fans (12V) and I do know that there are varying powers, and as you might expect, the more powerful ones are noisier. We have one that hangs on string in the porthole window, and on these stuffy nights moves enough air so that it is possible to breathe, yet does not keep us awake. Cheap as chips on Ebay, might be worth experimenting with lower power fans and just running for longer?