Whale water pump opinions?

Featured Posts

I fitted a Whale gulper waste pump a few years ago, and it is superb.
Especially from a longevity when living aboard point of view, are the domestic water pumps also good kit? 
I am not overly impressed by the Sureflow and Jabsco ones that I have used in the past.
Many thanks :)

Just now, catweasel said:

I fitted a Whale gulper waste pump a few years ago, and it is superb.
Especially from a longevity when living aboard point of view, are the domestic water pumps also good kit? 
I am not overly impressed by the Sureflow and Jabsco ones that I have used in the past.
Many thanks :)

Hi Stan

My present pump is a whale, its all they had at Fenny marina when mine went tits up when I was passing. Fitted it over four years ago and still working without fault.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Hi Stan

My present pump is a whale, its all they had at Fenny marina when mine went tits up when I was passing. Fitted it over four years ago and still working without fault.

Cheers Tim :)

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi Stan

That sounds good, I get about 3 years from mine before they start to leak

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

That sounds good, I get about 3 years from mine before they start to leak

So do I normaly. Gone are the days they were built to last. Anyway I would have another although my new spare that I keep onboard is another jabsco as thats what was in stock when i bought it about three years ago.

I had 1 spring a leak after just over 2 years. I replaced it with the same because I'm crap at DIY. I've since decided the 1st 1 was faulty from the start.

My whale gulper has been on 6 years & now leaks. I put a nappy on it, needs changing every 2 months. 

My first Gulpèr failed about a year ago. As I was out cruising I had to replace it in a hurry. It ran out of suck! I only got around to looking at the original one on Saturday as I need a standby bilge pump for a couple of weeks (sad, unrelated tale) Turned out to be the joker valve in the outflow fitting. It had lost it's flexibility and wasn't closing properly. Of course you can't buy the vàlve on it's own , you have to buy the overhaul kit at £19.

At least I now know the knack of reassembling the diaphram casing . ?