Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Dr Bob

Pubs in Long Itchington

Featured Posts

Stopped in Long Itchington yesterday, with the two grandsprogs in tow, intending to go to the Two Boats for a meal at tea time (that's 5 ish). Shock Horror! Closed for food. Private party on. 749 people on the tow path dancing to a rather poor live act! We'd been into the Two Boats last Saturday on our way down to Saltisford and no mention of 'no food' on Thursday. Having won my 'Best pub in the world annual award' in 2017 and 2018, this wasnt very good. A warning that there was no food …..and we would have changed our plans

So we trekked up to the village to try the Duck on the Pond as the nearest pub, the Cuttle Inn on the other side of the cut always looks so depressing. Shock Horror again! The Duck is closed! It is no more! Dead as a Norwegian Blue! By this time the grandsprogs were starting to suffer acute starvation with only minutes to live. We tried the pub on the green but they were not serving food 'till 6.30pm (it was now 5.15pm). No, that was too long. They would have expired by then.

We decided then to head back to the cut and give the Cuttle a go.

Wow. What have we been missing? It was really good. The food was excellent …...Mrs Bob reckons it was significantly better than the Two Boats......although it was only me that liked the pulled pork burger in the Two Boats. Similar pricing. The kids managed to get some sustenance down so survived for at least another day. The beer choice whilst not as good as the Two Boats was sufficient but I was on the larger as it was too hot.

So that experience has changed my landscape of pubs in Long Itchington. No duck, cant rely on the Two Boats and the Cuttle now looking the best option for an overnight stop.

The worst experience of the day however was having to listen to the live act in the two boats murdering “You'll never walk alone”. Wow, that was bad.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

The worst experience of the day however was having to listen to the live act in the two boats murdering “You'll never walk alone”. Wow, that was bad.

Blimey, it must have been bad if it was was worse than drinking lager.

We were in the marina yesterday having the BSS inspection done (all was good, yippee!), so not far away from Little Itchy, but I don't recall thinking it was too hot for good old British ale.

I had a pint or three in the Two Boats a couple of months ago and I don't remember being particularly impressed with the ales on draught... 

What do they sell? I've forgotten, which is rather my point!

The Long Itchington road sign used to proclaim the village as'The Real Ale Capital of England'.  Doesn't sound as if that's the case now.

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I had a pint or three in the Two Boats a couple of months ago and I don't remember being particularly impressed with the ales on draught... 

This is the relevant question. Being a Charlie Wells pub it is immediately ruled out of having any possibility of being “Pub of the Year” in my book.

JP

• Greenie 3

We we stopped for a couple of nights at Long Itchington in early May (seems an age ago), we ate at the Two Boats, I don’t remember the food and drink being anything other than ok.  We then walked over to the Cuttle Inn and had a couple of drinks, again the beer was ok.  In the past we have eaten and had drinks at both, and both have been ok, but I guess nothing outstanding, but that said I would requent either of them in the future.

Last time I was there we walked a few minutes to the Green Man in the village and had a very decent pint. It's a small village pub - more of a locals place. Didn't try food.

There is a pretty direct footpath across the fields from just next to the bridge, if you don't fancy the walk up the very busy road (past the Colecraft yard).

16 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We we stopped for a couple of nights at Long Itchington in early May (seems an age ago), we ate at the Two Boats, I don’t remember the food and drink being anything other than ok.  We then walked over to the Cuttle Inn and had a couple of drinks, again the beer was ok.  In the past we have eaten and had drinks at both, and both have been ok, but I guess nothing outstanding, but that said I would requent either of them in the future.

Sadly “ok” seems to be about the best any of us can ever expect from canalside pubs these days. 

The Wharf at Fenny Compton has taken another dice deeper into mediocrity recently. Sh1t beers, DILLIGAF staff. 

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sadly “ok” seems to be about the best any of us can ever expect from canalside pubs these days. 

The Wharf at Fenny Compton has taken another dice deeper into mediocrity recently. Sh1t beers, DILLIGAF staff. 

Yep, ok seems to be the best for most places are these days.  I did enjoy a couple of decent beers in the Shroppie Fly yesterday, but can’t remember what it was though (I am such a professional).

20 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They usually have a couple of guest beers on. I liked the pub as it has a nice atmosphere, usually great service, nice bar staff and welcoming locals. That's been erroded somewhat now.

29 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The point of the op was to flag that the Cuttle inn was not a bad pub and in fact the food was very good. My impressions of the place previously just looking of it across the cut were poor.

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Cow pie???

Possibly stupid spell checker plus stupid poster.

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Cow pie???

Ah, fond memories of the little lucky pub near Windmill End!

17 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Cow pie???

Ahhhhhhh memories of Desperate Dan as a sprog ?

17 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh shame ? thats answered my question then, I was going to give it another try since the new encumbents took over!!

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Oh shame ? thats answered my question then, I was going to give it another try since the new encumbents took over!!

And while I'm moaning about them, the boater shop in the pub is less than useless. No perishable foods, nothing chilled. That means they don't sell bread, bacon, butter or milk. The four things I went in there to buy the other day. No word of apology from staff, just a dismissive "no we don't sell any of those" and walked off. 

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

And while I'm moaning about them, the boater shop in the pub is less than useless. No perishable foods, nothing chilled. That means they don't sell bread, bacon, butter or milk. The four things I went in there to buy the other day. No word of apology from staff, just a dismissive "no we don't sell any of those" and walked off. 

• Sad 1

Oh and another thing I had there a few weeks ago. Boating late on a Sunday and hungry we checked their website and it said restaurant food available until 9pm. So we briskly walked the half a mile or so from were we moored and got there about 8.30pm. Staff bod said (unapologetically) restaurant's closed. We pointed out the website said open until 9pm and he its still closed, totally DILLIGAF, will get the website changed. 

I haven't looked since to see if it had changed but my bet is the website stills says food until 9pm. 

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh and another thing I had there a few weeks ago. Boating late on a Sunday and hungry we checked their website and it said restaurant food available until 9pm. So we briskly walked the half a mile or so from were we moored and got there about 8.30pm. Staff bod said (unapologetically) restaurant's closed. We pointed out the website said open until 9pm and he its still closed, totally DILLIGAF, will get the website changed. 

I haven't looked since to see if it had changed but my bet is the website stills says food until 9pm. 

If you mean The Wharf?..........Yes still says food til 9pm.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Same happened to us at the Rose of Lancaster on the Rochdale. Website says Sunday food until 8.45, but at 8.10 we were told the chef had been sent home.  Trip Adviser reviews show we aren't alone in this experience. 

The Indian takeaway over the bridge provided an excellent meal, and at less cost than the pub Sunday roast.

When I started boating in the early 1980's one of the pubs in Long Itchington, the Harvester I believe, was known for it's serious lock ins, we would always assume a late start on mornings after a stop there!

Always found the two boats erratic on food availability, not a fan of bombardier and Wells beers in general.

We have enjoyed food and some good bands in the past at the Cuttle but haven't been in for a couple of years. 

One of our favourites was the Harvester but our last visit just over a year ago was very disappointing. 

The Green man has been consistent with decent ale and a simple, fairly cheap menu - more snacks than meals. They also have a visiting fish and chip van and happily provide cutlery for customers, Friday at 19.00 last time we were there.

If you like Indian food it's worth considering the Black Horse / Essence of India just up the road in Marton. Unless things have changed they will come and pick you up. 

Yes, another chuck up for the Green Man. Happened upon it a few years ago after wailking from the bridge described earlier. Was a pleasant experience.

The Two Boats? Mixed experience. Ale was okay. Have eaten lunch and evening meal in different occasions. Nothing to write hone about but edible. After adverse comments on here in the past, haven't been in the Cuttle. Will do now though. Never fancied the Duck on the Pond or whatever it's called.

I've had some good food at Two Boats over the years. But...

on one occasion stopped there only to find their kitchens had 'no gas'

on another occasion turned up to find that traveling canal theatre group performing - place absolutely rammed, no food (can't really complain - good to see).

Hence investigations of local alternatives - I think I went to take a look at Duck on Pond but it all felt a bit 'gastro'. Ended up in Cuttle and it was 'OK'.

I recall once stopping on the Two Boats mooring and being woken in early hours by neighbouring boat carrying out some furious manoeuvres in the cut next to us, bumping us a couple of times.

He came and apologised next morning. Turned out someone had cut the guy's ropes (with a knife - not untied him) - both annoying and expensive.

Sign in to follow this