Once upon a time?

fergyguy

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, Westyman said:

Regarding off grid usage and the appliances, we have 4 x 110Ah lead acid leisure batteries and a 3kVA inverter/charger thingy. The 230V appliances on board are microwave, larder fridge, tv, DVD/amp. Apart from the fridge, the other items are intermittent use.

On the roof we have 2 x 120W solar panels feeding through a 20A MPPT controller.

Overnight I turn the inverter off and the A+++ insulated fridge stays cool enough.

We find the solar panels and 2-3 hours cruising a day keeps the batteries upto 100% on the meter. Over 6 years of leisure use we have found this an acceptable compromise for battery usage. At their age they may be due for replacement soon.

The benefit of a wide beam is all that roof for solar panels! So I think would worth investing for off grid usage eventually. 

I leave my fridge on all day and night, also the inverter we cruised between 3 and 4 hrs a day and find that the batteries are normally as full as they will get when we stop. We also use an electric kettle in summer and a coffee maker but no microwave