New CRT TV advert

rgreg

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

You are comparing two week figures and year figures.

The questions are "have you visited within the last two weeks?" and "how many times did you visit?". These will be multiplied by 26 (ish) to give the yearly visits.

To give an example:-

4m visitors per average two week period visiting an average of 4 times each = 16m visits per average two week period 

So for a year that's 16m x 26 = 416m visits.

Unless anyone knows otherwise.

16m visits per 2 weeks equates to over 500 visits per mile per day

Or, lets say that 1/2 of the network of 2000 miles is not visited, that gives 1,000 people per mile per day

Taking a 'day' as 12 hours we should be seeing 83 people per hour, or one every 45 seconds walking alongside / visiting the canal near YOU !!

I doubt I see 83 people per month (maybe they are all in London ?)

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

16m visits per 2 weeks equates to over 500 visits per mile per day

Or, lets say that 1/2 of the network of 2000 miles is not visited, that gives 1,000 people per mile per day

Taking a 'day' as 12 hours we should be seeing 83 people per hour, or one every 45 seconds walking alongside / visiting the canal near YOU !!

I doubt I see 83 people per month (maybe they are all in London ?)

With the mention of London how many people do you suppose use a towpath in London per hour?

I realise I am not talking about England but when in Edinburgh I passed a sign which counted cyclists on the tow path.  It was reading 157 for the day.  Pedestrians out numbered cyclists by roughly 20:1.   So by my primitive maths that is 3297 (approx) for the day.  Say there is that footfall/cyclefall (can't think fo the right word but you know what I mean) for 330 days a year.  That gives about 1,088,010 visits per year just on that stretch.  My daughter lives near the canal and assured me it wasn't an unusually busy day.

I would have thought by the time you extrapolate that to English cities numbers in the 100 millions isn't too far fetched.

Has anybody any figures which would suggest otherwise.

When moored in Birmingham there is a continual flow of people along the towpath and if there is an event on at the arena I would suggest a large proportion arrive via the towpath so that must be well in the thousands.

44 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

When moored in Birmingham there is a continual flow of people along the towpath and if there is an event on at the arena I would suggest a large proportion arrive via the towpath so that must be well in the thousands.

Very likely, however do they truly count as people enjoying/utilising/benefiting from our canal system?  

Or would they fit into a group of people taking a short cut and avoiding traffic?

Horrifically, if you multi-choiced them about the future of inland waterways, I wonder how many would tick the box ….

[] Fill them in and use them as well lit, traffic free, cycle and walkers' pathways, avoiding pollution, brown, stagnant water and vermin. ?

3 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Very likely, however do they truly count as people enjoying/utilising/benefiting from our canal system?  

Or would they fit into a group of people taking a short cut and avoiding traffic?

Surely if you are short cutting or avoiding traffic you are benefiting from the canal system.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It seems that C&RT are 'made from Teflon'

IT would appear that each of the 4,000,000 visitors made 100 visits per year (to give 400,000,000 visits)

That does seem rather an 'ambitious' figure that come, rain, hail, sun or snow, holidays etc etc everyone will still visit the canals twice per week

I do not know how the figures are reached - I did suggest a while back that one of our boater reps might press for details and ask for them to be shared so that we can have an Open Source kind of debate about them but nothing has yet happened,

That said, we have been in more northerly parts of the system for some weeks and I have been particularly struck by the level of towpath usage, not just in urban areas either. The ratio of towpath users to boats seen on the move is quite considerable. Gave me cause for thought.

43 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I do not know how the figures are reached

I do.

I have the questionnaire somewhere and the process to estimate the numbers.

I'll have a hunt around.

Stand by.

Edit to Add :

C&RT pay a telephone 'call centre' to phone 2000 'random' people at 2 weekly intervals.

They are asked these 3 questions :

Q1 Firstly, I am going to read out some activities that you may have taken part in recently. For each one, can you tell me whether you personally have taken part in this activity in Britain within the past two weeks? So firstly, have you……[rotate activity list]…. on a stretch of inland water which is used by boats, for example a canal, river or lake.
1. Been on a boat with an engine
2. Been on a boat without an engine? Please
3. include activities such as canoeing, rowing boats and sailing boats
4. Been fishing
5. Been cycling
6. Walked a dog
7. Visited a specific attraction, heritage attraction or museum
8. Taken a walk or a ramble for leisure
9. Taken a run or jog for leisure
10. Used or walked along only in order to get somewhere else? For example, to get to work or to go shopping
11. Bought food or drink in a pub
12. Just sat or stood by the water as a break in the day to relax (always penultimate activity)
13. Used or visited for some other purpose? (SPECIFY)

Q2. [For each activity at Q1] On how many days in the past two weeks have you personally……[read out activity]….on a stretch of inland water used by boats, for example, a river, canal or lake in Britain?
WRITE IN NUMBER OF DAYS BETWEEN 1 AND 14.

Q3. [For each activity at Q1] And thinking about the last day you have……[read out activity]….which river, canal or lake did you do this on?
RECORD ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
a) Name of Waterway (if known):
b) Nearest Town / Village:
c) Name of County:

As Allen Albert suggests these numbers are then taken as a representative sample of the UK population so the numbers who have said they visited a waterway in the last two weeks are multiplied by 33000 (population of the UK =66,000,000 divided by the sample size of 2000)

so (for example) if 1000 people, of those questioned, visited a canal in the last two weeks that is extrapolated to say that out of the population as a whole 3,300,000 visited a canal in the last two weeks.

This is C&RTs response to an FoI request in the subject.

We have considered your request for a copy of the questions asked during our Inland Waterways Visitor Survey telephone call and I am writing to let you know that we do not consider the information you have requested to be subject to the limited application of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to Canal & River Trust.

The Canal & River Trust is a charitable company limited by guarantee that is not owned or controlled by any public body. Accordingly it is not a “publicly owned company” within the meaning of s.6 Freedom of Information Act 2000. Furthermore, Canal & River is not a body listed in Schedule 1 of the 2000 Act on an unlimited basis (unlike public authorities) and is therefore not subject to the Freedom of Information Act for the generality of its activities. That includes its general administration and organisational management and the general conduct of its business. Therefore, in that context Canal & River Trust is in the same position as other charities independent from government.

The Canal & River Trust is however also a statutory undertaker and for a limited range of its activities it derives its powers from statutory functions transferred to it from the British Waterways Board (“BW”) by the British Waterways Board (Transfer of Functions) Order 2012 (“the Order”). The Order amended the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to provide that the 2000 Act applies only to information held by Canal & River Trust relating to the functions (i.e. statutory powers and duties) transferred from BW to Canal & River Trust by virtue of the Order. Only certain of the statutory functions of BW were transferred to Canal & River Trust - essentially those giving it authority and obligations to operate and maintain the waterways.

The generality of the other activities of Canal & River Trust are exercised by it as a company limited by guarantee outside the public sector and are not dependent on statutory powers. Accordingly, Canal & River Trust is not a public body subject to the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act in respect of its activities that are not exercisable by virtue of specific statutory functions transferred to it.

Therefore, in formal response to your request under the Freedom of Information Act, I have to inform you that Canal & River Trust is not under any duty under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to provide the information you have requested since it does not relate to any functions exercisable by it by virtue of the 2012 Order.

Yours sincerely,

Sarina Young
Customer Service Co-Ordinator
Canal & River Trust | The Kiln | Mather Road | Newark | NG24 1FB | Tel 01636 675 740 | [mobile number]
Follow the Canal & River Trust’s Customer Service team on Twitter http://twitter.com/CRTContactUs
Please visit our website to find out more about the Canal & River Trust and download our ‘Shaping our Future’ document on the About Us page.

Interestingly, last year, C&RT went out to tender to try and find a new company to undertake the work and who could suggest different ways of coming up with figures.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

We visited Saul junction yesterday, when we walked away from the car someone with a clipboard stopped us and asked us about the purpose of our visit and where we had travelled from. He then recorded our answers and marked off the number of people in our group. We were visiting the cafe which just happens to be next to the canal.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Surely if you are short cutting or avoiding traffic you are benefiting from the canal system.

Not necessarily, they might just be benefitting from the shortcut, which happens to include the cut.

Which so far as they might care could just as well be a disused racing track for lemmings.

As MTB said most people have an awareness of canals, yet no clue about who C&RT are or what's involved for them.

Hence my point about being concerned should these people have the opportunity to sway the decision makers via a questionnaire.

Taking any group of words out of the context of what follows, in order to make a quote usually changes the meaning or dilutes it.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I do.

I'll have a hunt around.

Stand by.

Edit to Add :

C&RT pay a telephone 'call centre' to phone 2000 'random' people at 2 weekly intervals.

Q1 Firstly, I am going to read out some activities that you may have taken part in recently. For each one, can you tell me whether you personally have taken part in this activity in Britain within the past two weeks? So firstly, have you……[rotate activity list]…. on a stretch of inland water which is used by boats, for example a canal, river or lake.
4. Been fishing
5. Been cycling
6. Walked a dog
10. Used or walked along only in order to get somewhere else? For example, to get to work or to go shopping
12. Just sat or stood by the water as a break in the day to relax (always penultimate activity)

Q2. [For each activity at Q1] On how many days in the past two weeks have you personally……[read out activity]….on a stretch of inland water used by boats, for example, a river, canal or lake in Britain?

Q3. [For each activity at Q1] And thinking about the last day you have……[read out activity]….which river, canal or lake did you do this on?
c) Name of County:

As Allen Albert suggests these numbers are then taken as a representative sample of the UK population so the numbers who have said they visited a waterway in the last two weeks are multiplied by 33000 (population of the UK =66,000,000 divided by the sample size of 2000)

so (for example) if 1000 people, of those questioned, visited a canal in the last two weeks that is extrapolated to say that out of the population as a whole 3,300,000 visited a canal in the last two weeks.

We have considered your request for a copy of the questions asked during our Inland Waterways Visitor Survey telephone call and I am writing to let you know that we do not consider the information you have requested to be subject to the limited application of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to Canal & River Trust.

The Canal & River Trust is a charitable company limited by guarantee that is not owned or controlled by any public body. Accordingly it is not a “publicly owned company” within the meaning of s.6 Freedom of Information Act 2000. Furthermore, Canal & River is not a body listed in Schedule 1 of the 2000 Act on an unlimited basis (unlike public authorities) and is therefore not subject to the Freedom of Information Act for the generality of its activities. That includes its general administration and organisational management and the general conduct of its business. Therefore, in that context Canal & River Trust is in the same position as other charities independent from government.

The Canal & River Trust is however also a statutory undertaker and for a limited range of its activities it derives its powers from statutory functions transferred to it from the British Waterways Board (“BW”) by the British Waterways Board (Transfer of Functions) Order 2012 (“the Order”). The Order amended the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to provide that the 2000 Act applies only to information held by Canal & River Trust relating to the functions (i.e. statutory powers and duties) transferred from BW to Canal & River Trust by virtue of the Order. Only certain of the statutory functions of BW were transferred to Canal & River Trust - essentially those giving it authority and obligations to operate and maintain the waterways.

The generality of the other activities of Canal & River Trust are exercised by it as a company limited by guarantee outside the public sector and are not dependent on statutory powers. Accordingly, Canal & River Trust is not a public body subject to the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act in respect of its activities that are not exercisable by virtue of specific statutory functions transferred to it.

Therefore, in formal response to your request under the Freedom of Information Act, I have to inform you that Canal & River Trust is not under any duty under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to provide the information you have requested since it does not relate to any functions exercisable by it by virtue of the 2012 Order.

Yours sincerely,

Sarina Young
Canal & River Trust | The Kiln | Mather Road | Newark | NG24 1FB | Tel 01636 675 740 | [mobile number]
Follow the Canal & River Trust’s Customer Service team on Twitter http://twitter.com/CRTContactUs
Please visit our website to find out more about the Canal & River Trust and download our ‘Shaping our Future’ document on the About Us page.

Interestingly, last year, C&RT went out to tender to try and find a new company to undertake the work and who could suggest different ways of coming up with figures.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/visitor_number_telephone_questio

It's worthwhile reading the whole request, particularly the last comment.

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I do.

I'll have a hunt around.

Stand by.

Edit to Add :

4. Been fishing
5. Been cycling
6. Walked a dog

c) Name of County:

Yours sincerely,

Sarina Young

Thanks very much for that. What i cannot see is how they go from that to specifically users of CaRT property, nor the repeat frequency. I note that the quoted figure is usually for total visits but quite a few people use a tow path more than once in a day, e.g. for a commute.

5 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Thanks very much for that. What i cannot see is how they go from that to specifically users of CaRT property, nor the repeat frequency. I note that the quoted figure is usually for total visits but quite a few people use a tow path more than once in a day, e.g. for a commute.

Mike

This rolling survey has been running for more than 15 years. Originally, it was carried out on behalf of several navigation authorities but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Question 3 is used to determine the authority.

With regard to using the towpath more than once per day, you will note that the questions are activity based. The questions determine on how many days you carried out that activity rather than how many times you carried out that activity.

If on a single day you use the towpath to get to work and later return that counts as one visit not two. If on the same day you take your dog for a walk on  the towpath that counts as a second visit.

Put another way, each activity carried out on a single day counts as a visit even if it is carried out more than once, Where this falls down is when you walk your dog to the pub ....

About ten years ago, I asked BW's then marketing manager if carrying out two activities in a single visit counted as one or two visits. It appears that it counts as two.

Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Mike

This rolling survey has been running for more than 15 years. Originally, it was carried out on behalf of several navigation authorities but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Question 3 is used to determine the authority.

With regard to using the towpath more than once per day, you will note that the questions are activity based. The questions determine on how many days you carried out that activity rather than how many times you carried out that activity.

If on a single day you use the towpath to get to work and later return that counts as one visit not two. If on the same day you take your dog for a walk on  the towpath that counts as a second visit.

Put another way, each activity carried out on a single day counts as a visit even if it is carried out more than once, Where this falls down is when you walk your dog to the pub ....

About ten years ago, I asked BW's then marketing manager if carrying out two activities in a single visit counted as one or two visits. It appears that it counts as two.

Hope this helps.

Ta. 

Only certain of the statutory functions of BW were transferred to Canal & River Trust - essentially those giving it authority and obligations to operate and maintain the waterways.

I do find that statement a concern. Who looks after the statutory functions not transferred. Is this why there has been a decline in freight traffic on CRT waterways and what of heritage, is there a concern there?

11 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Only certain of the statutory functions of BW were transferred to Canal & River Trust - essentially those giving it authority and obligations to operate and maintain the waterways.

I do find that statement a concern. Who looks after the statutory functions not transferred. Is this why there has been a decline in freight traffic on CRT waterways and what of heritage, is there a concern there?

C&RT is legally obliged to meet the following obligations ( and  none other)

2. Objects
The Trust’s objects are:
2.1 to preserve, protect, operate and manage Inland Waterways for public benefit:
2.1.1 for navigation;
2.1.2 for walking on towpaths; and
2.1.3 for recreation or other leisure-time pursuits of the public in the interest of their health and social welfare;

2.2 to protect and conserve for public benefit sites, objects and buildings of archaeological, architectural, engineering or historic interest on, in the vicinity of, or otherwise associated with Inland Waterways;

2.3 to further for the public benefit the conservation protection and improvement of the natural environment and landscape of Inland Waterways;

2.4 to promote, facilitate, undertake and assist in, for public benefit, the restoration and improvement of Inland Waterways;

2.5 to promote and facilitate for public benefit awareness, learning and education about Inland Waterways, their history, development, use, operation and cultural heritage by all appropriate means including the provision of museums;

2.6 to promote sustainable development in the vicinity of any Inland Waterway for the benefit of the public, in particular by:
2.6.1 the improvement of the conditions of life in socially and economically disadvantaged communities in such vicinity; and
2.6.2 the promotion of sustainable means of achieving economic growth and regeneration and the prudent use of natural resources; and

2.7 to further any purpose which is exclusively charitable under the law of England and Wales connected with Inland Waterways;
provided that in each case where the Trust undertakes work in relation to property which it does not own or hold in trust, any private benefit to the owner of the property is merely incidental.

21 hours ago, Heartland said:

It is a concern because it is not strictly true. Most of the relevant hundreds of Acts of Parliament were transferred unaltered and not discarded. It is also a concern because of an undertaking to provide information even if it was not legally obliged to do so. Basically, it was argued by BW that it did not need to be subject to FOI because it would voluntarily provide information.

In the event, we ended up with a fudged solution which allows C&RT to argue that they are not subject to FOIA for particular requests.

It is worth reading what whatdotheyknow.com says -

Canal & River Trust is subject to Environmental Information Regulations and also subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 with respect to functions inherited from British Waterways. The Canal & River Trust have undertaken to voluntarily release information where they can regardless of whether they are obliged to do so.

British Waterways had three statutory functions -

Harbour Authority

Navigation Authority

Statutory Undertaker 

It's powers and legal duties were defined in various Acts of Parliament starting with original enabling Acts of the late 18th and early 19th Century and ending with the 1995 British Waterways Act.

The British Waterways Transfer of Functions Order (2012) transferred these powers and duties to Canal an River Trust with certain modifications for example to allow British Waterways to continue in Scotland and to allow much greater freedom regarding its investment portfolio.

Regarding freight - BW's maintenance duties for commercial waterways were transferred unaltered. However an amendment was made to the Transport Act 1968 in relation to The Secretary of States powers of determination regarding classification of waterways. The Secretary of State is now obliged to take into account C&RT's representation on affordability.

In a worst case scenario, if a freight operator or potential operator finds that a section of Commercial Waterway needs dredging, that waterway might end up being downgraded to Cruising Waterway.

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT is legally obliged to meet the following obligations ( and  none other)

2. Objects
The Trust’s objects are:
2.1 to preserve, protect, operate and manage Inland Waterways for public benefit:
2.1.1 for navigation;
2.1.2 for walking on towpaths; and
2.1.3 for recreation or other leisure-time pursuits of the public in the interest of their health and social welfare;

2.2 to protect and conserve for public benefit sites, objects and buildings of archaeological, architectural, engineering or historic interest on, in the vicinity of, or otherwise associated with Inland Waterways;

2.3 to further for the public benefit the conservation protection and improvement of the natural environment and landscape of Inland Waterways;

2.4 to promote, facilitate, undertake and assist in, for public benefit, the restoration and improvement of Inland Waterways;

2.5 to promote and facilitate for public benefit awareness, learning and education about Inland Waterways, their history, development, use, operation and cultural heritage by all appropriate means including the provision of museums;

2.6 to promote sustainable development in the vicinity of any Inland Waterway for the benefit of the public, in particular by:
2.6.1 the improvement of the conditions of life in socially and economically disadvantaged communities in such vicinity; and
2.6.2 the promotion of sustainable means of achieving economic growth and regeneration and the prudent use of natural resources; and

2.7 to further any purpose which is exclusively charitable under the law of England and Wales connected with Inland Waterways;
provided that in each case where the Trust undertakes work in relation to property which it does not own or hold in trust, any private benefit to the owner of the property is merely incidental.

These are C&RT's charitable objects rather than statutory functions. All registered charities need such objects which describe what they do. Fairly obviously, the incorporate, at a high level, statutory functions. 

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Thank you Allan, I was trying to clarify my understanding of what the CRT has authority to do.

Regarding freight there appears to have been a decline traffic on CRT waterways since they took over in 2012, whilst on some other waterways there has been a steady increase. The CRT agenda appears to be not focused on freight, which could provide additional revenue. Though the Aire & Calder still has traffic, for example, how much is being done to promote it. A similar case is the River Trent between Gainsborough and Nottingham and the Severn  where promotion might assist. Why has the aggregate traffic to Gloucester been so adversely affected? In BW days there were efforts to maximise that trade and deal with the challenges competition from motorway traffic

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2019 at 20:02, Mike the Boilerman said:

On this public awareness thing, I meet a LOT of members of the public with whom I have the opportunity to chat in some depth about stuff. I would say when chatting with a customer 100% of them are aware of the existence of canals, and 99% of them think living on a narrow boat is completely brilliant. 

I would however say 100% of them have never heard of Canal and Rivers Trust or CRT, and this is what the TV advert is aiming to put right I reckon. 

At the cost of one dam repair I think that CRT will have achieved their KPI on brand awareness this week

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/07/2019 at 08:40, Alan de Enfield said:

That could well be one reason - but - irrespective of the number of visits (last quoted as, I think, about 400,000,000 per year) the grant stops in a few years.

They are so, so far behind budget to become self funding that more income is needed, that must surely become their primary focus of any advertising.

Imagine :

The times are hard, I've seen it with my own eyes - the water is leaking and the dragon flies have nowhere to breed, fish are struggling to stay alive, and boats are unable to move. For just £3 per month you could help us repair the leaks and save the lives of these wonderful creatures for the enjoyment of your children and their children. What would life be like without Dragon-Flies ?

Call today and donate just £3 and we promise that we will chase you every month to increase your donations so we can pay for fancy new logos and re-painting all of the vans.

The Dragon-Flies will thank you - we cannot do it without you.

Why not take Alan's idea and turn it into a TV appeal on daytime tellie. It could run after the domnkey appeal and before the offer for 50+ life insurance. You could get that nice June to present it.

God, I remember thèm so they must work.

Edited by Slim