Water pump filter blocked?

Featured Posts

My pump is fitted with a filter as in the pic. Tonight my pump is making that "you have no wtaer in the tank" droning noise (tank is full), and the shower flow is pathetic. Never needed to touch this before in 15 years, so can I clean it? Do I need to Remove from pump to clean or does it split in situ? Is a new one a better bet? (Forum search shows no similar topics.)
Many thanks for any advice :)

DSCF4259.JPG

If that's the sort of filter I think it is then it comes apart by twisting. I would use the quick release feature by pushing (pulling ?) the blue bit to release the connector from the pump. I don't see one but turn off the isolator between the tank and the pump first.
That said I would be surprised if the filter is completely blocked.  I would first check that the water tank breather is clear and then check for blockages in the feed pipe from the tank. That could be hard to do with the tank full. The feeds can block up with rust on steel tanks. 

I used to have one of these before a pump change. Beware of taking chunks out of nails/knuckles/fingers etc. 

Isolate water supply - the filter is in line so when you split it you've got a tank full of water just ready to empty over you!

Filter body is in two sections. The white body in your pic  is the main section. The black bit in the top rim is a slot - look carefully. There is a tab in that slot - one of four. The black connector at the top of the pic is screwed onto a boss on the other half of the filter body. You might be able to unscrew it or leave it attached but there are two wings where it screws on. You need to get at those wings and turn them to ' unscrew' - actually a bayonet fit. Turn about 2cm to disengage tabs then pull apart. You end up with two bits with an O ring between. In the larger bit there is a gauze mesh filter circle. Wash (you did keep some water, didn't you!) and reassemble, staunch bleeding then run pump to refill system.

• Greenie 1

We had a similar problem a couple of years ago with very slow flow. After trying just about everything I eventually found that the inside of the stub of pipe welded to the water tank had rusted from 1/2" to little more than a straw over 15 years. Cleaned/drilled it out & all sorted.

Just now, sharpness said:

We had a similar problem a couple of years ago with very slow flow. After trying just about everything I eventually found that the inside of the stub of pipe welded to the water tank had rusted from 1/2" to little more than a straw over 15 years. Cleaned/drilled it out & all sorted.

If Stan has the same problem it’ll take him a while to empty his full tank of water :(

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If Stan has the same problem it’ll take him a while to empty his full tank of water :(

It certainly will!!!

(If he's got an inspection hatch he could put a cork on the inside)

Edited by sharpness

Thanks people, some very helpful answers. Thanks for time and trouble will fettle it in the morning. If the worst happens I'm not far from Midland Chandlers :)
Will report back.
Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, Opener said:

Can't imagine it's beyond redemption - it's  a chunky piece of kit. I only replaced mine cos the two bits are really tightly fitted together and awkward to split. 

Cheers. 
Can't see them being too expensive so will pick one upon my travels to keep as a spare. That way I can always have a clean one available. I think the problem is that owing to circumstances we were marina bound for 2 years . Now that we have managed to escape I guess we have stirred some crud up.
Another lesson learned ;)

11 hours ago, sharpness said:

Me too !

IMG_5657.JPG

IMG_5658.JPG

11 hours ago, sharpness said:

Had exactly the same problem with mine, water was very slow coming out and system sounded like a (muffled) pneumatic drill. Checked pump out, cleaned it and eventually replaced it but to no effect eventually traced it to the problem you described. Sorted it out with a rat tail file which was done even though tank was full. Might be worth the op checking this out before they fit a new filter as the loose rust from the above process will be in the pipe work between the stub and the filter. 

Tank fitting was circa 12-13 years old at the time. 

Edited by reg

In case it helps others, The epilogue:
Tried running pump with filler cap removed to no avail, so seems vent is OK.
Dismantled filter and there was a small amount of jelly like substance, I would guess 25-50% blocked.
Tried flow from tank into a tray which, given the small bore of the pipe, seemed adequate (tank about 75% full; a bit less than I thought.) 
All reconnected and a little improvement in that there seems more flow from the shower, and pump seems to get to pressure quicker when closing tap. Also a bit quieter.

So, some improvement, but not convinced it is quite up to scratch.

Looks like LFD time as our mechanic used to say (let fault develop.)
Now where did I put that slightly leaky Sureflow pump that I kept for these occasions? :)
Thanks for all suggestions ;)