Over staying notices

Bod

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, carlt said:

This is out of date now (surprising that it is still online).

It would appear that the link I quoted is still valid.

These new criteria do not come into effect until end August 2019

https://www.contact.org.uk/news-and-blogs/new-blue-badge-rules-in-england-to-come-into-force-on-30-august/

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, carlt said:

You are wrong.

You had better tell that tothe government!

To quote.

The aim of the Blue Badge scheme is to help disabled people who have severe mobility problems to access goods, services and other facilities by allowing them to park close to their destination.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/197719/can-i-get-a-blue-badge.pdf

Incidentally the badge is personal so the vehicle doesn't matter as it isn't a question of qualification for the vehicle.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Incidentally the badge is personal so the vehicle doesn't matter as it isn't a question of qualification for the vehicle.

I know that I was just using the example that of the two people in my car the one who doesn't appear to have mobility problems is the one who qualifies for the badge.

That document was last updated in 2013 but the guidelines changed July 2018 because someone did tell the government and they listened,

Edited to add:The new national guidelines come into effect next month but many local authorities have already adopted them.

Edited by carlt

1 minute ago, carlt said:

I know that I was just using the example that of the two people in my car the one who doesn't appear to have mobility problems is the one who qualifies for the badge.

You clearly missed my mention of single occupant of the car.  The regulations also say that the badge can not be used by the person who owns the badge staying in the car while others get out and shop etc.

At least it did when my Bro got his last year.

Just now, Jerra said:

The regulations also say that the badge can not be used by the person who owns the badge staying in the car while others get out and shop etc.

At least it did when my Bro got his last year.

You clearly missed my mention that I didn't use the disabled spaces.

I'm not sure why your mention of a "single occupant" is relevant. My son is capable of driving so, as a single occupant, would be allowed to use a disabled space despite being physically mobile.

Prejudice against mental disability is a common thing but, given time, we hope that one day people will not be so quick to judge.

The fact that the rules discriminating against mental disability are changing is testament to that.

• Greenie 3

13 minutes ago, carlt said:

many local authorities have already adopted them.

I was just going to suggest that qualification for a blue badge could be a local matter - those of us who live in local authority areas with relatively enlightened councils are ahead of the curve.

4 hours ago, carlt said:

That document was last updated in 2013 but the guidelines changed July 2018 because someone did tell the government and they listened,

Edited to add:The new national guidelines come into effect next month but many local authorities have already adopted them.

I knew a chap who could only walk a short way, so his wife use to drive his disability scooter as he walked beside it until he had had enough and then they would swap places so he could ride back to the car. On the beginning of one trip out he got taken to task because his wife didn't have a blanket on and may have got cold sitting on the scooter.

Never judge a book by the cover, not everything is as it seems.

10 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Having spoken a few times with a chap recently he told me that his pattern was one of these. He has approval for a genuine cruising pattern that is along a stretch just over 20 miles long but has no locks and he can stop for three weeks at a time instead of 14 days. He is genuinely mobility impaired and not in the first flush of youth but does follow this continuous back and forth trip and is a nice, friendly guy. The area's busy but not under insane pressure boat wise. Geeing him along or making him and his boat get some help to clear a flight of locks to do another ten or twenty miles only to return a few months later and do the whole thing over again would be a bit pointless. Making him get a mooring would also be something he wouldn't use a lot I guess. I think he prefers life towpath side along the whole stretch. In circumstances like this CaRT seem to take a totally pragmatic and humanitarian approach.

Good to hear that they don't just take a "computer says no" attitude.

I wonder if the CRT letters being displayed are an 'available on request' thing. I didn't get one when I had permission to overstay on a VM while recovering from brain surgery last year, but then that was only for a few weeks.

7 hours ago, carlt said:

You clearly missed my mention that I didn't use the disabled spaces.

I'm not sure why your mention of a "single occupant" is relevant. My son is capable of driving so, as a single occupant, would be allowed to use a disabled space despite being physically mobile.

Prejudice against mental disability is a common thing but, given time, we hope that one day people will not be so quick to judge.

The fact that the rules discriminating against mental disability are changing is testament to that.

Well said - and remember that dementia brings its own problems of a related but different nature.

My mum has one of these badges, she has had it for three years. I have used it once in the last three years legitimately when an absolute necessity whilst taking her out once. Its like most things, the genuine user appreciates it and doesnt use it willy nilly just because they have one. 99 percent of the time we park in an ordinary bay and have yet to ever use it on a yellow line.

My sister has a blue badge. She gave me a lift into town once and she pulled into a 'disabled' parking space. I asked why, as I am willing and able to walk. I refused to get out of the car until she moved to a 'paying' space. 

• Greenie 1

On 20/07/2019 at 13:50, Mrs Trackman said:

Jan you are totally right. 

What I find annoying is the blatant misuse of this. For example, I'm sorry if someone cannot move because they are disabled but surely in this situation they should pay for a mooring? 

We would love to move all the time but we have parents in their 90s and have certain grandparent duties, so we pay for a mooring. I would hazard a guess that almost all boaters are unable to move at some point. Ok. It might be a temporary reason in which case overstaying is fair but to expect to never move or pay seems unreasonable. Visitors have been unable to access a visitor mooring all last winter  (& I mean a long length) due to boaters staying for months. I have no idea if legitimately or otherwise and I haven't enquired. However, boaters who did enquire have been threatened. 

Threatening behaviour is something that needs to be brought to the attention of the local CRT team, there is no justification for this. If you do not know if these people were justified in their reasons for overstaying then I do not understand why you are using it as a response to my post. 

I know of boaters who have been allowed to overstay for a number of months (especially in winter) due to them undergoing treatment for a medical condition. This meant they had to regularly attend a clinic for treatment that  was debilitating and left them very fatigued over the course of a number of months. 

Not everyone have the income to pay for a mooring, especially if they are unable to work due to that medical condition. I am pleased that CRT are willing to help when people find themselves in difficult situations. 

There will always be those who try and get away with something but it is not for us to worry about it. If you ever travel by train do you expect to see everyone's train ticket to be sure they are entitled to be sharing a carriage with you? No, some people get away without buying a ticket but it is the train companies responsibility to police it, not ours 

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

On 23/07/2019 at 20:27, Nightwatch said:

My sister has a blue badge. She gave me a lift into town once and she pulled into a 'disabled' parking space. I asked why, as I am willing and able to walk. I refused to get out of the car until she moved to a 'paying' space. 

Interesting that you refer to a ‘paying’ space. Our local council charges exactly the same for parking in any space. The disabled bays might be in a more convenient location but they cost exactly the same as any others. 

As for eligibility, my wife suffers from COPD but is able to cross a car park slowly and with occasional stops to catch her breath. I mentioned a blue badge to her doctor in passing earlier this year and he pronounced with no hesitation “She wouldn’t get one”. Not that she wants one anyway (she likes to push herself), but it kinda proves the point that you have to be pretty seriously disabled (either physically or mentally) to qualify. 

8 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

I'm not sure threatening behaviour by boat owners has anything to do with CRT, they manage waterways they don't have any authority to enforce public order. 

No they don't have any authority to enforce public order BUT if they are already "on the case" of a boater who has a blatant disregard for the rules then making them aware of other problems (while not necessarily expecting them to take any action) could add evidence to the case they are preparing so that said boater is denied a licence in future. 

Depending on the nature of the threatening behaviour it is best reported to the police and, eve if they do not have time to follow it up request a crime number. This can then be supplied to CRT when bringing it to their attention. 

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

Interesting that you refer to a ‘paying’ space. Our local council charges exactly the same for parking in any space. The disabled bays might be in a more convenient location but they cost exactly the same as any others. 

As for eligibility, my wife suffers from COPD but is able to cross a car park slowly and with occasional stops to catch her breath. I mentioned a blue badge to her doctor in passing earlier this year and he pronounced with no hesitation “She wouldn’t get one”. Not that she wants one anyway (she likes to push herself), but it kinda proves the point that you have to be pretty seriously disabled (either physically or mentally) to qualify. 

That's odd. My dad has a lung condition with similar-sounding effects - shortness of breath, limiting how far and how fast he can walk - and he got a blue badge a short while ago. (It's not his only health problem, but I'm pretty sure it's the one that earned him the badge.)

Isn't  the blue badge scheme a one exemption fits all scenario, very badly executed. Maybe CaRT with their quiet accommodation and cruising adjustments are the more realistic and compassionate, dealing with each on a case by case basis?

On 25/07/2019 at 09:51, cheshire~rose said:

No they don't have any authority to enforce public order BUT if they are already "on the case" of a boater who has a blatant disregard for the rules then making them aware of other problems (while not necessarily expecting them to take any action) could add evidence to the case they are preparing so that said boater is denied a licence in future. 

Depending on the nature of the threatening behaviour it is best reported to the police and, eve if they do not have time to follow it up request a crime number. This can then be supplied to CRT when bringing it to their attention. 

CRT can't " deny a licence" to anybody for any kind of criminal activity. 

Possibly they could seek a court order to bar the person from their property if the offence was related to damaging their property ??? 

Even if you murdered the CEO of CRT you would still legally be eligible for a licence if you had a valid BSC and insurance. 

1 minute ago, CompairHolman said:

CRT can't " deny a licence" to anybody for any kind of criminal activity. 

Possibly they could seek a court order to bar the person from their property if the offence was related to damaging their property ??? 

Even if you murdered the CEO of CRT you would still legally be eligible for a licence if you had a valid BSC and insurance. 

Once you came out of jail, presumably. Just a question, would you get boat insurance?

A case a few years back proved CRT don't have the power to decide who gets a licence or not outside of the three statutory requirements even though they tried to refuse a licence application for someone that was previously issued a court order to remove their unlicensed boat from the waterways.

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Not comprehensive form then , or would it be covered by ‘ is there anything else you need to disclose’ catch all.

You wouldn't " need" to disclose it though as it has no bearing on the policy.