Drive plate.

Featured Posts

Hello, has anyone ever had a drive plate that makes a horrible whining noise. The drive plate has done about 700 hours it's on a PRM 500. 700 hours. I know when worn they make a loud rattle but the

manafacturer say not a whining noise. Any input welcome thanks. 

34 minutes ago, Ruston2vsh said:

Hello, has anyone ever had a drive plate that makes a horrible whining noise. The drive plate has done about 700 hours it's on a PRM 500. 700 hours. I know when worn they make a loud rattle but the

From the workshop manual :

image.png.d715519069c651a4c1bc3ac8cd9f31d2.png

56 minutes ago, Ruston2vsh said:

Despite the noise, do you still have drive as normal in ahead and astern?

If yes then it is pretty unlikely to be the drive plate. All the drive plate does is mechanically connect the flywheel to the splined input shaft of the gearbox. I can't imagine how it could make a whining noise unless the spline was stripped which would result in no drive.

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. Yes transmission works well forward and reverse. I have greased/lubricated every bearing and UJ on the propshaft and the only place The noise worse is at the drive plate area. 

Regards Graham. 

Maybe worth taking the cardon shaft off and working the UJs to see if any have damaged tracks, especially if the UJs have ever been underwater. Noise can do odd things. The other thing to consider is the gearbox front input bearing. Bearings are more likely to whine than a drive plate.

14 hours ago, Ruston2vsh said:

A long shot but could be that the starter motor is not disengaging ?

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

A long shot but could be that the starter motor is not disengaging ?

I was wondering if something was wedged in the bottom of the flywheel housing and rubbing on the ring gear. But is this engine not a Ruston 2VSH? If so then it is not an automotive engine and flywheel so no need for a drive plate! 

Dear OP, what engine is this please? 

10 minutes ago, Ruston2vsh said:

Sorry I should have said, it's not a Ruston that was my old boat it's  a Gardner 2L2. I have looked all around the fly wheel no luck there I'm afraid. 

As the 2L2 is slow revving engine I can't think of anything that rotates fast enough to whine, apart from the alternator. The gearbox would rotate at the same speed as the engine or less. You could remove the alternator belt and see if the whine goes away.