Cruising to Birmingham

Paolo Reale

Featured Posts

Cruising to Birmingham in the next day or two from the Stratford canal and wondered if anyone has any advice re. Mooring and good things to do. We wondered if there were moorings by the botanical gardens? Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Paolo Reale said:

Cruising to Birmingham in the next day or two from the Stratford canal and wondered if anyone has any advice re. Mooring and good things to do. We wondered if there were moorings by the botanical gardens? Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks

The moorings at The Vale are close to the botanical gardens. You can’t enjoy them from the towpath though. There’s a railway in the way, and then a school playing field, which all makes it a bit more of a walk from the canal to get there than you might imagine.

I wouldn’t choose to moor anywhere from Shirley to the middle of Birmingham but I guess the middle of Brum isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. No reason not moor at the Vale, although you may be subject to the squealing wheels of passing trains.

JP

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

The moorings at The Vale are close to the botanical gardens. You can’t enjoy them from the towpath though. There’s a railway in the way, and then a school playing field, which all makes it a bit more of a walk from the canal to get there than you might imagine.

I wouldn’t choose to moor anywhere from Shirley to the middle of Birmingham but I guess the middle of Brum isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. No reason not moor at the Vale, although you may be subject to the squealing wheels of passing trains.

JP

And they start early and finish late, Found that mooring at Bournville 

There are often boats moored on the Worcester & Birmingham, close to the Botanical Gardens at the Vale, where @Captain Pegg mentions. Personally, I might stop there during the day for a visit to the Gardens, but perhaps not overnight. Noise from the trains and it being Brum. "Safe" moorings on the BCNS site, though this doesn't cover the W&B.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

12 minutes ago, steve hayes said:

If you moor by the NIA ( or whatever they call this week) it’s not a massive walk up Broad Street to Five Ways and down to the gardens, probably 20 to 30 minutes

We have moored there and it was a good mooring. A bit of noise when everyone turns out after the show and boards the coaches, but nothing excessive, and all quiet by 10.30pm.

I would moor in the centre of Birmingham, was there last week, and get the train to the botanical gardens.  Mooring either on the Main Line or Oozells st Loop.  On the Main Line try to go for the opposite side to the Arena. I would avoid on the W&B between salvage turn and Worcester Bar, just too much foot fall on the towpath for me but not in any way unsafe.  If is a fantastic place to stop.

2 hours ago, steve hayes said:

If you moor by the NIA ( or whatever they call this week) it’s not a massive walk up Broad Street to Five Ways and down to the gardens, probably 20 to 30 minutes

Arena Birmingham, I believe!