Cropredy LayBy mooring

dmr

Featured Posts

Just been through Cropredy for the first time in a couple of years. Looks like somebody has dug out a sort of LayBy/mico marina just opposite the long term moorings below the lock. The remains of the old bank are still very visible. Whats the story? Is this CRT approved or a landowner trying to exploit the "canal spread onto my land" possible loophole? or maybe its always been there hidden by vegetation? It does not look totally new and no obvious spoil heap, and no boats moored in it but a couple of mooring pins visible.

I also noticed a new little side arm on the Coventry. I thought digging a new "marina" required extensive ground and ecological/environmental surveys costing big money so how do these little "new canal" projects manage?

..............Dave

The offside bank at Cropredy has been tidied up and dug out, apparently by the new owner of the village's Manor House. It was done last year. There are rumours of future moorings and of a small marina, or at least a group of sideways-on moorings (which was first mooted about the same time as the big  marina, which has now of course been built). We who moor locally are "watching this space".

3 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Where on The Coventry?

Cant remember, it might even have been the North Oxford, after a lazy winter and spring we are seriously cruising again and its all a blurr. I remember a short arm, about 1 or 2 boats long, set at about 45 degrees to the line of the canal with the banks built out of sandbags or maybe concrete bags, with a flat area for vehicle parking.

................Dave.

Yes, that's the one. I am interested in all this stuff because I am involved with CRT about possibly creating a mooring and even a bit of dredging appears to be quite a big issue whilst others look able to dig out a whole new bit of canal. We want to do it legit rather than taking a chance and hoping to get away with it.

..............Dave

37 minutes ago, dmr said:

We want to do it legit rather than taking a chance and hoping to get away with it.

..............Dave

Are you suggesting that the work done in Cropredy is in some way underhand or illegal? Do you have any evidence to substantiate this view?

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Are you suggesting that the work done in Cropredy is in some way underhand or illegal? Do you have any evidence to substantiate this view?

I am still trying to understand this. They have dug out a tiny marina on their own land, but digging a full marina needs all sorts of ground stability and environmental surveys costing many tens of thousands of pounds, plus water tightness tests before connecting to the canal system, I doubt the owner has done this to moor just two or three boats, its just not worth it, so there must be a way to dig out a bit of canal without all the formal overheads. I would like to find out about this :)

For example, maybe the ground there is impervious so does not need puddle clay, but if somebody did something similar on different geology then the canal would loose all its water in no time at all, so CRT engineers should be consulted (and paid) for a project like this.

.............Dave

8 hours ago, dmr said:

I am still trying to understand this. They have dug out a tiny marina on their own land, but digging a full marina needs all sorts of ground stability and environmental surveys costing many tens of thousands of pounds, plus water tightness tests before connecting to the canal system, I doubt the owner has done this to moor just two or three boats, its just not worth it, so there must be a way to dig out a bit of canal without all the formal overheads. I would like to find out about this :)

For example, maybe the ground there is impervious so does not need puddle clay, but if somebody did something similar on different geology then the canal would loose all its water in no time at all, so CRT engineers should be consulted (and paid) for a project like this.

.............Dave

I remember that CART's people did have  alook at the work but I don't know why.

We're going over to the boat this weekend, and if the Local Moorer Who Knows All is there - a very well-informed chap - I will ask him and I'll report back to you.