Breaking into a boat

GUMPY

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

Have seen this quite a lot recently, padlocks on rear doors whilst people on board.

A padlock at the back doesn't always mean that you cant get out, if the padlock is on the slide rails then often slide can be lifted and rear doors opened.

Edited by Loddon

8 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

what is the CW consensus on a lock like this?  I had never seen one until I bought a boat.  It joins a side hatch, with a panel on the roof.

Tessi H75 Round Snap in Bullet Lock Chrome Plated Keyed Alike

Someones managed to nick the boat and leave your lock behind.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Wittenham said:

what is the CW consensus on a lock like this?  I had never seen one until I bought a boat.  It joins a side hatch, with a panel on the roof.

Sorry is it on the inside or outside? Anything that locks you in from the outside is bad news. Side hatches are useful escape routes. I know lots of boats don't have side hatches, but if you do then ideally they need to be locked from the inside. 

If it's on the inside it looks fine but you don't really need anything with a key. An ordinary bolt would do the same job. Whatever you fit ideally it wouldn't just be screwed into the wooden lining because it may simply get ripped out if the door or hatch is prized open with a lever (crowbar, big screwdriver, etc).

57 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Sorry is it on the inside or outside? Anything that locks you in from the outside is bad news. Side hatches are useful escape routes. I know lots of boats don't have side hatches, but if you do then ideally they need to be locked from the inside. 

If it's on the inside it looks fine but you don't really need anything with a key. An ordinary bolt would do the same job. Whatever you fit ideally it wouldn't just be screwed into the wooden lining because it may simply get ripped out if the door or hatch is prized open with a lever (crowbar, big screwdriver, etc).

It is how the boat is locked from the outside when i am not on it.  The flange surrounding the key slot is all that is visible, the rest is buried inside the steel of the top and side hatches.  Seems secure enough to me, but wondered if there was some 'bic pen cap/kryptonite bike lock' scenario that made them easy to open.

5 hours ago, Wittenham said:

It is how the boat is locked from the outside when i am not on it.  The flange surrounding the key slot is all that is visible, the rest is buried inside the steel of the top and side hatches.  Seems secure enough to me, but wondered if there was some 'bic pen cap/kryptonite bike lock' scenario that made them easy to open.

But what's the point of locking side hatches from the outside when they should be easy enough to secure from the inside? Then you wouldn't have to worry about whether the lock was vulnerable.

The danger of external locks is that you might forget to open them when you board the boat. I don't know if those side hatches are your main entry/exit point, but if not can you hand on heart say that you've always unlocked them every time you've boarded the boat?

I have an external lock on the bow doors but they're my main entry point to the boat so when I'm home those doors aren't ever locked from the outside.

Edited by blackrose

14 hours ago, blackrose said:

But what's the point of locking side hatches from the outside when they should be easy enough to secure from the inside? Then you wouldn't have to worry about whether the lock was vulnerable.

The danger of external locks is that you might forget to open them when you board the boat. I don't know if those side hatches are your main entry/exit point, but if not can you hand on heart say that you've always unlocked them every time you've boarded the boat?

I have an external lock on the bow doors but they're my main entry point to the boat so when I'm home those doors aren't ever locked from the outside.

Hand on heart, I have unlocked it every time.  But that is because i get on the boat through the side hatch - it is on a permanent mooring.  My question is about whether such a lock set up is effective, I had never before seen a bullet lock like that.

On 19/07/2019 at 08:37, Wittenham said:

More info? Its not clear to me from your photo and descripton how it works.

28 minutes ago, David Mack said:

More info? Its not clear to me from your photo and descripton how it works.

Still trying to work out how it works on side hatch

OK think I might have it. 

Lock is mounted on side doors, plunger goes through plate on  hatch to stop it being lifted, side doors held  shut by flange of the hatch ?

Edited by Loddon

5 hours ago, Loddon said:

Still trying to work out how it works on side hatch

OK think I might have it. 

Lock is mounted on side doors, plunger goes through plate on  hatch to stop it being lifted, side doors held  shut by flange of the hatch ?

You got it spot on. 

I came across a large keyed bolt lock in Spain, they are v common and ideal on double doors, I brought a pair over for my double doors front and back. I've since seen them here as gate locks, just fitted one on a pair of garden gates. The difference is that the gate locks are keyed both sides, the Spanish ones had a push button internally. I suppose you'd just leave a key in if you were in. 

While buying the current gate lock I found they are called cays locks. 

41yz5duxmjL._AC_SY400_.jpg

• Greenie 1