Breaking into a boat

GUMPY

Featured Posts

I was asked to get into a boat today as the owner had locked themselves out.

Easiest way in without damage through the rear slide padlock.

It took me longer to run the cable to power the angle grinder than it did to remove the padlock.

So with an angle grinder and a 1mm disc, 2 cuts and you are in less than 30 secs

Padlock was one of the rectangular ones that are allegedly more secure ;)

• Greenie 1

Well done.

You were lucky that they were one of the people who, against informed advice, had a padlock on the outside of their boat.

Out of interest, had there been no such external lock, what would Plan B have been?

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Well done.

You were lucky that they were one of the people who, against informed advice, had a padlock on the outside of their boat.

Out of interest, had there been no such external lock, what would Plan B have been?

Probably to have walked away.

Our boat had a key hidden on the outside (well hidden and needing a screwdriver to access) in case we were ever locked out.

once inside there was a spare padlock key (all padlocks on the boat were keyed alike) and ignition key.

getting into a friends boat was done by removing to top hopper glass from an open window and then using the brass curtain rod to open further windows until we reached the window by the back door, once there we reached in and opened the yale lock.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Er. Should we be discussing this sort of thing on a forum open for the whole world to see? None of this is rocket science, but even so.

I was going to reply with a way of getting into 95% of narrowboats in under ten seconds but thought better of it.

6 hours ago, Loddon said:

I was asked to get into a boat today as the owner had locked themselves out.

Easiest way in without damage through the rear slide padlock.

It took me longer to run the cable to power the angle grinder than it did to remove the padlock.

So with an angle grinder and a 1mm disc, 2 cuts and you are in less than 30 secs

Padlock was one of the rectangular ones that are allegedly more secure ;)

You did check that they were the owner first? otherwise it's up steps before the Beak

6 hours ago, Jess-- said:

Our boat had a key hidden on the outside (well hidden and needing a screwdriver to access) in case we were ever locked out.

once inside there was a spare padlock key (all padlocks on the boat were keyed alike) and ignition key.

Your not the only one who does that for the spare key. Its is no fun, if you just done 200 plus miles when you find you left the keys behind.

6 hours ago, Athy said:

Well done.

Well hidden spare key, plus one with neighbour while I have their spare key

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Er. Should we be discussing this sort of thing on a forum open for the whole world to see? None of this is rocket science, but even so.

You need to remember that those who break into boats as criminals already know how to do it, it is the rest of the population who need to know how they do it to protect themselves. I would totally agree with the earlier comment regarding the external padlock as it does two things 1) it lets the potential thief know the boat is probably unoccupied (who else but an idiot would leave any doors padlocked on the outside if they are aboard:wacko:) and 2) it telegraphs the easiest way into the boat, angle grind the padlock and you are in. Nothing is thief-proof if they are really determined but if you know an easy way to break into your own boat you have to hope that no-one else finds out about it.

ETA with my own boat, if I lost the boat keys, I'm not sure how I'd get in, which is why we have two sets. On the other hand, if the mortice lock jams I'd be royally stuffed:unsure:

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Rob-M said:

Surely most boats a brick through a window and you are in if you really want to break in.

Mine's all portholes so even if you break one of those you're going to need to be pretty thin to have any chance of getting through, the windows on the bow doors are also too thin for most people to have any chance of getting through. The weakest link on most boats are the side doors often 'secured' with some sort of decorative sliding bolt, a crowbar on that would usually work (need for some better interior security there then).

45 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

You did check that they were the owner first? otherwise it's up steps before the Beak

Yes I do know that they were the owners. They actually had the key to the padlock however the padlock was upside down on the slide runners so the key could not be inserted as the roof was in the way ;)

a neighbour living on her boat with a baby on board had an external padlock on the bow doors, always locked; baby slept in forward bedroom, boat had an aft kitchen.

I asked her one day what was her plan if there was a fire in the kitchen.........................  unbelievably she hadn't considered it.  

• Horror 2

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

a neighbour living on her boat with a baby on board had an external padlock on the bow doors, always locked; baby slept in forward bedroom, boat had an aft kitchen.

I asked her one day what was her plan if there was a fire in the kitchen.........................  unbelievably she hadn't considered it.  

Have seen this quite a lot recently, padlocks on rear doors whilst people on board.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

20 minutes ago, F DRAYKE said:

Have seen this quite a lot recently, padlocks on rear doors whilst people on board.

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

likewise

4 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Its not just doors that are padlocked, its the ones that are blocked off by piles of logs and gas bottles preventing the doors from being opened at all.

Is this all just Darwin's Law in action?

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I would totally agree with the earlier comment regarding the external padlock as it does two things 1) it lets the potential thief know the boat is probably unoccupied (who else but an idiot would leave any doors padlocked on the outside if they are aboard:wacko:) and 2) it telegraphs the easiest way into the boat, angle grind the padlock and you are in. Nothing is thief-proof if they are really determined but if you know an easy way to break into your own boat you have to hope that no-one else finds out about it.

I disagree. It's easy enough to find out if someone is onboard by simply knocking on the door with some excuse. If you have a mortice lock they can just drill out the barrel so it's the same difference as angle grinding a padlock.

Fortunately most people who break into boats are opportunists who might carry a screwdriver. They don't tend to walk about with angle grinders, drills or crowbars.

Edited by blackrose

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

Padlocks are an open invitation to a thief that there's nobody on board.

But so is knocking on the door and finding out nobody's home.

The worst things are catch covers. Once inside they have all the time in the world to break in unseen.

This is what I have on the bow doors; inside both sides of the stern doors/sliding hatch and inside the side hatches.

The van lock on the bow door might tell them nobody's home, but it also tells them it's not going to be easy to break in.

It's all portholes, but ultimately if they have the tools they'll get in. If someone has an angle grinder they'll just cut your door hinges.

IMG_20190718_232035_1.jpg

IMG_20190718_231849_5.jpg

IMG_20190718_231909_6.jpg

Edited by blackrose

4 hours ago, jocave said:

Not really but if it helps people make things more secure then any ideas are a positive, no doubt mtb will have an input on this, probably negative, probably argumentative no doubt confrontational...

Pillock.....

But I see your point lol!!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

If you have a mortice lock they can just drill out the barrel so it's the same difference as angle grinding a padlock.

With a bit of skill and the right tools you can pick the lock, silently and more quickly. 

According to youtube....

2 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

My rear doors have a padlock on them when I'm in residence. 

Engine room side doors are nearer and unlocked for fire egress.