On the Move?

fergyguy

Featured Posts

This question is for practical advice from widebeam owners based Nottinghamshire area. In your experience owning a 65 x 12 widebeam based say at Sawley where would I be limited to go constant cruising the northern waterways in the future once Iv got some experience of handling her.

Trent and soar and interconnected wide  navigation, is all you can do from sawley. The trent and mersey is narrow only a few miles north of sawley.

you could go to foxton too. Leicester is lovely if you like tin cans plastic bottles needles and the contents of the local dogs lower bowels strewn around. 

What kind of distance combined would you say?  I’m living at Sawley for 3 years as still working so will use that time to master her and get some river training from experienced skippers but then would like to constantly cruise but will be single crewed so I know I need to get plenty of experience in first

17 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

What kind of distance combined would you say?  I’m living at Sawley for 3 years as still working so will use that time to master her and get some river training from experienced skippers but then would like to constantly cruise but will be single crewed so I know I need to get plenty of experience in first

Hull, Goole, Wakefield, Leeds and many places in between so a huge range to cover. Remember 65 x 12 is toytown on the Ouse,  aire and calder etc. Pinch points depending on both draughts are getting through Nottingham ont canal bit.

Its about 2 days to leicester from sawley ( and the soar is great) the trent about 4 days. Trent and mersey day. But you will be slow on the t and m.

bear in mind sawley is at the confluence of two rivers and floods frequently.

i recon you could do a lot of learning the trent is a big river.

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hull, Goole, Wakefield, Leeds and many places in between so a huge range to cover. Remember 65 x 12 is toytown on the Ouse,  aire and calder etc. Pinch points depending on both draughts are getting through Nottingham ont canal bit.

I’ll need to get a map and highlight places she will go... she’s 2 feet draught according to the specs

18 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Its about 2 days to leicester from sawley ( and the soar is great) the trent about 4 days. Trent and mersey day. But you will be slow on the t and m.

bear in mind sawley is at the confluence of two rivers and floods frequently.

i recon you could do a lot of learning the trent is a big river.

Yep my intentions are to spend my days off on the Trent doing regular short learning trips to get experience and confidence I have no illusions of being good at it from day one that’s for sure lol

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

So plenty of water for me to constantly cruise for awhile then?

It is about 1 'good' days cruise (2 comfortably) from Sawley to Meadow Lane lock (and onto the Trent)

Once on the Trent the Moorings are all 48 hours

Meadow lane lock to Gunthorpe is only 10 miles so a short 3 hour cruise. good moorings gets very busy in Summer and especially at weekends. Commonly need to breast up.

Good choice of pubs / meals. Water at the lock wall.

Gunthorpe to Newark castle 14 miles. Good moorings on the 'wall' just downstream of the lock. Excellent town with Sunday Lunch at £4.50 (or sausage egg & chips £2.75) at the Malt Shovel. Aldi is riverside. Go another 1/2 mile and you have Kings Marina for a Pump-out, fuel etc.

Newark to Cromwell Lock 5 miles. Super visitor pontoon moorings (nothing there except brick built BBQ 'pits' and water point. Toilets by the lock)

Newark to Torksey 22 miles (TIDAL) you can "turn right" and get onto the Fosse Dyke, into Lincoln and down the River Witham to Bostson

Or - go straight on up to Gainsborough, Keadby and onto the Yorkshire canals, or keep going to Trent Falls and onto the Ouse or the Humber

You are not allowed past Keadby as a single hander tho'.

The Northern 'world' is your lobster.

These are 'home waters'.

12 foot is no problem.

We are 14 foot beam and a draft of 4' 6" (we can no longer get down the Fossdyke past Saxilby due to draft.)

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Trent and soar and interconnected wide  navigation, is all you can do from sawley. The trent and mersey is narrow only a few miles north of sawley.

you could go to foxton too. Leicester is lovely if you like tin cans plastic bottles needles and the contents of the local dogs lower bowels strewn around. 

North?  I think you mean West / South

3 hours ago, fergyguy said:

Thank you for all that info so in reality plenty for me to see and do so should not get bored?

For instance, 200 foot by 20 foot beam ont aire and calder. The locks are longer but some bends such as skew bridge knottla mean only tiny 200 foot boats can get through lol.

8 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

You forgot to mention the padded jackets, saris' and various other articles of clothing (around the prop) Even I forgot to mention the bread thrown over the wall as you pass.?

48 minutes ago, Stewart Kirby said:

No, good fun around there. You should also be able to get into the Basin at West Stockwith which is a nice mooring. 

I grew up in Misterton so I know the basin well. It’s going to be a life changing adventure and I’m open to all the advice I can get

22 hours ago, fergyguy said:

I grew up in Misterton so I know the basin well. It’s going to be a life changing adventure and I’m open to all the advice I can get

So is it a category D boat ..... or better? Significant if you eventually contemplate a few coastal hops to get yourself into other waterway systems.

My intentions are in 3 years when I fully retire to cover as much of the northern waterways as her size will allow with no set time agenda ... not looking to do costal hops as I feel sure I will find enough to do and enjoy within the permissible northern waterways 

23 hours ago, Slim said:

You forgot to mention the padded jackets, saris' and various other articles of clothing (around the prop) Even I forgot to mention the bread thrown over the wall as you pass.?

No we got the carpet in loughborough this morning at the junction. Stopped the engine dead.  Fortunately it came off with the hook as i didnt fancy getting the cut. Returned to sender complete with all the crap weighing it down. Didnt check for body been there before

Some years ago friends had their yacht moored in South Dock when a large holdall floated by close to them. Margaret tried unsuccessfully to snag it with a boathook. Several days later another moorer was more successful. It turned out to contain a a headless body. 

• Horror 1

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

No we got the carpet in loughborough this morning at the junction. Stopped the engine dead.  Fortunately it came off with the hook as i didnt fancy getting the cut. Returned to sender complete with all the crap weighing it down. Didnt check for body been there before

I sincerely hope that you don't mean you threw it back in the cut!  I'd find that just rude.