Random? Email Notifications

Featured Posts

I appear to getting a lot of random email notifications regarding posts and I am not too sure how to stop them?

An example - I just got an email advising me that RLWP had replied to the topic DM2 Slowly Dies on Tickover

I had not read any of that thread before that notification nor had any notification about the several replies before Richard's.

I have been trying to pin down what is happening and it is almost as if by reading a thread the forum seems to think I want to follow it and so sends me notifications of other replies, even if I did not post in the thread myself.

Another thought is that it seems to send me an email when one of my friends replies to a thread - it certainly seems to want to tell me what Richard is up to as if I am some sort of weird stalker or something. ?

I can't see anything in my settings that I can change to stop it happening but I might be looking in the wrong place, because I am not sure what is actually happening but I am a bit fed up of getting spammed by email

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to stop it please?

9 hours ago, RichM said:

Please click link in my signature where you can review your notification settings.

I have been there many times but really can't see what it is I have ticked that I don't want ticked.

I am happy enough with: Automatically follow new content I post

and: Automatically follow content I reply to

That means if I post something and someone replies I will get a notification - I know how to change that at a later date if I no longer want to follow.

It is the random notifications I am trying to stop.

I got another yesterday evening at 18:05. It was telling me that Mac of Cygnet had posted in the topic called "Scotland" 

The post was post number 33 on that thread. I had never read the thread nor contributed to it before and it was not the first time that Mac of Cygnet had contributed to the thread either so why did I get that random notification?

What ticks do I need to take out of boxes to stop it happening please?

Oh and another email notification at 21.18 last night telling me that Keeping Up had replied to the thread "Harecastle Tilley Hat" (post #39)

Now I had viewed this thread before (because I was tagged in on post #2) but I am not currently following the topic and have not had any other notifcations about the other posts the the thread that occured after that one.

I too am getting many such e-mail notifications. They seemed to start the last time that there was some sort of forum software alteration. I found my setting sand clicked the one which said "no notifications" but still they come, dozens per day, most of which appear to be about Brexit!

Don't forget that there is a second list below the first one in notification settings, in which you can select how to receive the notifications.   I have e-mail switched off in this for everything except PMs, and that is what happens.  You may already know this, but I failed to scroll down to the second list when I first went there, with results much as described.

14 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Don't forget that there is a second list below the first one in notification settings, in which you can select how to receive the notifications.   I have e-mail switched off in this for everything except PMs, and that is what happens.  You may already know this, but I failed to scroll down to the second list when I first went there, with results much as described.

I am aware of the second list and I am happy to get an email to let me know there is a reply to a thread I have created

It is the emails that are alerting me to random posts on threads I have never visited I am trying to stop - but thanks

43 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The notification process has obviously failed because it appears you haven't received notification of all the many hundreds of times I have tagged you saying how wonderful you are and you only sell absolute quality tat

:)

If that is the case then it is indeed borked!

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

I too am getting many such e-mail notifications. They seemed to start the last time that there was some sort of forum software alteration. I found my setting sand clicked the one which said "no notifications" but still they come, dozens per day, most of which appear to be about Brexit!

Ah I am glad I am not the only one, I don't remember exactly when it started but maybe a couple of weeks or so ago

1 hour ago, Athy said:

If you click 'no notifications', it doesn't stop everything.  In small print below that it says "Changing this option will not affect existing followed content.".  How relevant to your or CR's problem this is I know not.

1 minute ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

If you click 'no notifications', it doesn't stop everything.  In small print below that it says "Changing this option will not affect existing followed content.".  How relevant to your or CR's problem this is I know not.

With regard to the  "Changing this option will not affect existing followed content.". bit - the emails I am getting that are problematic are the ones for threads I have never even looked at before let alone followed. They are usually part way through and I will get one random email notifying me of a reply. The only common denominator I can see if that the reply is usually made by someone I know - like yourself, Keeping-up or RLWP

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

With regard to the  "Changing this option will not affect existing followed content.". bit - the emails I am getting that are problematic are the ones for threads I have never even looked at before let alone followed. They are usually part way through and I will get one random email notifying me of a reply. The only common denominator I can see if that the reply is usually made by someone I know - like yourself, Keeping-up or RLWP

Have you identified these as 'friends' or something?

MORE: Under manage followed content, there is a 'Members' bit for Members I follow

Richard

Edited by RLWP

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Sorry friends? Who are you? ?

I was just trying to find out where I can see who I follow - I was not aware I was following anyone but I did used to have quite a number of friends back in the days before things changed

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

MORE: Under manage followed content, there is a 'Members' bit for Members I follow

Richard

Richard

Got it!

I went via a list of people who seem to be following me and noticed that I had an option to follow some of them back BUT there were a huge array of people I appear to have been already following and when you click on the "follow" button a box pops up that says:

You will receive a notification and an email when *** posts new content.

I have no idea how I suddenly started following half a million forum members without even knowing it and thank The Lord that the majority of them do not seem to be people that ever post anything these days or else I would have been in serious trouble.

I have just unfoloowed everyone so hopefully that will do the trick

Apologies if something has unexpected changed in an update. It's one of the pet peeves is the software providers do then to make tweaks to the defaults, combined occasionally with tweaks we make that have unintended consequences (not the case in this instance afaik) so if that's sorted that great. 

Email notifications are an obvious feature if you want them (we got plenty of complaints when they stopped a while ago when there was an issue with the mail server) but equally a pain if they are not desirable!

Daniel

9 hours ago, DHutch said:

Apologies if something has unexpected changed in an update. It's one of the pet peeves is the software providers do then to make tweaks to the defaults, combined occasionally with tweaks we make that have unintended consequences (not the case in this instance afaik) so if that's sorted that great. 

Email notifications are an obvious feature if you want them (we got plenty of complaints when they stopped a while ago when there was an issue with the mail server) but equally a pain if they are not desirable!

Daniel

My notification emails have now stopped, midday Monday. Was there an update?