BRIDGEWATER CANAL MOORING 55FTX10FT

Kate pw

Featured Posts

Hello, I'm sure this question has been asked many times!! But here goes!  We have a widebeam 55ftx10ft and We're looking for a Mooring as close to Lymm as possible for commuting times! A private rental or sale would be considered? Even a rental property that's available on the stretch would be useful!!? 

So can anyone recommend anything?? 

Thanks in advance. 

Kate

Best advice is get off the computa and walk the towpath in the area you want to moor. This way you’ll get to see the spaces and moorings, talk to people on the spot and in the know. Far more effective than asking on the internet. You’ll make proper personal connections that bypass formal adverts. 

Welcome to the forum by the way. There is no need to post twice, everything you say WILL be noticed!!! 

15 minutes ago, Kate pw said:

Hello, I'm sure this question has been asked many times!! But here goes!  We have a widebeam 55ftx10ft and We're looking for a Mooring as close to Lymm as possible for commuting times! A private rental or sale would be considered? Even a rental property that's available on the stretch would be useful!!? 

So can anyone recommend anything?? 

Thanks in advance. 

Kate

Try Hesford Marina http://www.hesfordmarine.com/moorings.html

or Lymm Marina   http://lmbs.co.uk/moorings/

Both close to Lymm.

A significant proportion of the Bridgewater moorings are provided by the Cruising Clubs - Sale, Lymm, Watch House, Worsley from memory. Worth approaching them.

See also http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/mooring

Note you need Bridgewater Canal Co permission to live aboard.

Edited by David Mack

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

A significant proportion of the Bridgewater moorings are provided by the Cruising Clubs - Sale, Lymm, Watch House, Worseley from memory. Worth approaching them.

See also http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/mooring

Note you need Bridgewater Canal Co permission to live aboard.

Some Cruising Clubs don't allow liveaboards either.

Thanks people ? I think walking the towpath is a good suggestion! As for talking to people I've been doing that for a few months and everyone I talk to says something different ?? and the bridgewater website for moorings isn't working! And quite rightly the CCs don't allow widebeam a ? so unless someone living with a Mooring they don't want and I can rent it off them???? Thanks for advice ?

2 hours ago, pearley said:

There are some permanent moored by the Olde No 1 who pay BCC.

Do you mean The Olde No 3? I've never heard of the Olde no 1, and a google for it only finds the Olde No 3 .

The BCC offers a Platinum Licence which I believe allows living aboard and mooring almost anywhere for as long as you like..... but I think you have to have a home mooring to get one.

So I suppose a home mooring which doesn't allow living aboard, plus a Platinum Licence, and not mooring/living on the home mooring, might do the trick.

8 minutes ago, Kate pw said:

Hello thanks for that. I'm not sure where that is so I'll have a look ? 

I think Pearley meant by the Ye Olde No.3 pub.  The moorings are by the waterpoint.   https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ye+Olde+No+3/@53.3743534,-2.4277455,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x3b944a92e186c560!8m2!3d53.374763!4d-2.418347

39 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Yes... Are they official long term home moorings though? I thought there’s as a 48 hour sign, apart from 2 or 3 boat lengths.

My guess is that boats that have been there long term are either breaking the rules, or have a Platinum Licence and a home mooring elsewhere.

21 minutes ago, Kate pw said:

Yes I couldn't find No. 1 so No. 3 is no good as they don't have facilities! Minimum requirements would be electric and possibly water!? So still looking ? thanks though ?

Are there any other requirements you will need ?

Toilets / Toilet emptying facilities, fuel, showers etc ?

Everything you 'need' will reduce the options.

You may need to reconsider the location and look for a residential mooring somewhere else, and commute a bit further to work (or whatever reason you near to be near Lymm)

When I was working in Wythenshawe I was commuting 48 miles each way - after 10 years of living in Sale, decided the commute was better than  living in / near Manchester.

32 minutes ago, Kate pw said:

Yes I couldn't find No. 1 so No. 3 is no good as they don't have facilities! Minimum requirements would be electric and possibly water!? So still looking ? thanks though ?

No 3 has a water point, but no electric. There won’t be many home moorings which allow living aboard and have electric.

There can’t be more than 3 or 4 moorings at the Olde No 3, even if they are available for long term livaboard, so probably a non starter anyway.

There is an Elsan at Outrington and another in Lymm.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are there any other requirements you will need ?

Toilets / Toilet emptying facilities, fuel, showers etc ?

Everything you 'need' will reduce the options.

Car parking is another 'need', that can rule out a mooring for someone with a car.

I don't want to live aboard! Just need to access her daily but have her on electrics over night and full with water ?

The ones from the small gate heading towards Agden do they have any facilities that you know of?? Thanks

33 minutes ago, Kate pw said:

I don't want to live aboard! Just need to access her daily but have her on electrics over night and full with water ?

The ones from the small gate heading towards Agden do they have any facilities that you know of?? Thanks

I have no idea but they look basic.

Try the Bridgewater Canal Company website under boating for mooring locations and then ring them for details of facilities.

51 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

There are 2 sets of moorings at the Olde No 3.

The ones near the water point are restricted to 48 hours and the ones from the small gate and heading towards Agden Bridge are Bridgewater Canal Company moorings.

I thought the ones behind the gate towards Agden were Lymm Cruising Club? I seem to recall a sign, but could be wrong.

I dont think they have any facilities at all.

Edited by Richard10002

45 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I thought the ones behind the gate towards Agden were Lymm Cruising Club? I seem to recall a sign, but could be wrong.

I dont think they have any facilities at all.

Lymm Cruising Club moorings at Agden are the other side of Agden Bridge and run to Lymm marina.