Where does the oil go?

Amh300

Featured Posts

Sorry, I know that this is the most basic of basic questions, but could someone confirm which is the oil and which is the water container in this photo? My guess is the water on the left (rusty metal cap) and the oil on the right (black plastic cap). It's my first oil change, and obvs don't want to screw things up! Also, any suggestions on cleaning up the rust? Can these bits of the engine be painted, for example?

Thanks.

Andrew1870312787_Poppyengine.jpg.8416453c851af0fe7b2eb8325f094d1a.jpg

Nothing particularly difficult about servicing a BMC 1.5 for a fairlly experienced DIY type but:

1. The oil filter may still be the old centre bolt canister type and often its easier to take the whole assembly off the engine (2 bolts plus a new gasket) than try to get the bowl off while bolted to the engine.

2. The sump drain pump (T thing hanging on a control cable) will probably have a shut off valve at its base. Open to pump warm oil out and close when done.

2b. The piston often falls off the pump but the top wlil unscrew to let you reassemble it.

3. The fuel filters contain up to four rubber seals. Carefully check them for size before fitting them so they go into the correct place. Don't allow them to twist in their slots and may be for the first time leave the old ones in place.

3b You cant really fill these fuel filters with diesel before reassembling them so be prepared for a lot of   bleeding.

4. There is likely to be be a strainer and sediment trap under the domed top of the lift pump so this needs checking and cleaning.

Wire brush the dirt and rust off, wipe over with white spirit to degrease and then you can repaint the rusty parts if needed but you may well find the paint falls off the aluminium casting in time.

Thanks everyone - such quick replies ? Thanks BoaterSam, I'll look for that manual. Tony, the sump drain pump is completely knackered. I have a replacement from a guy on this forum, which I will try to re-fit at some point. In the meantime, someone has lent me a Pela oil extractor 6000, which I am assured will do the job. The oil filter (that cylindrical thing on the right?) was/is a nightmare to replace because the oil pressure sender is right underneath it! Is the fuel filter that cylindrical thing on the left? 

18 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Nothing particularly difficult about servicing a BMC 1.5 for a fairlly experienced DIY type but:

1. The oil filter may still be the old centre bolt canister type and often its easier to take the whole assembly off the engine (2 bolts plus a new gasket) than try to get the bowl off while bolted to the engine.

2. The sump drain pump (T thing hanging on a control cable) will probably have a shut off valve at its base. Open to pump warm oil out and close when done.

2b. The piston often falls off the pump but the top wlil unscrew to let you reassemble it.

3. The fuel filters contain up to four rubber seals. Carefully check them for size before fitting them so they go into the correct place. Don't allow them to twist in their slots and may be for the first time leave the old ones in place.

3b You cant really fill these fuel filters with diesel before reassembling them so be prepared for a lot of   bleeding.

4. There is likely to be be a strainer and sediment trap under the domed top of the lift pump so this needs checking and cleaning.

Wire brush the dirt and rust off, wipe over with white spirit to degrease and then you can repaint the rusty parts if needed but you may well find the paint falls off the aluminium casting in time.

I'd add to this by saying that prior to any wire brushing or work with abrasives make sure to cover the alternator, starter motor and any other points of entry into the engine - oil filler, dipstick, etc. And hoover well before removing these coverings.

You can buy specific primers for engine painting/mixed metals and a small tin may be a good investment. 

10 minutes ago, Amh300 said:

Thanks everyone - such quick replies ? Thanks BoaterSam, I'll look for that manual. Tony, the sump drain pump is completely knackered. I have a replacement from a guy on this forum, which I will try to re-fit at some point. In the meantime, someone has lent me a Pela oil extractor 6000, which I am assured will do the job. The oil filter (that cylindrical thing on the right?) was/is a nightmare to replace because the oil pressure sender is right underneath it! Is the fuel filter that cylindrical thing on the left? 

You can't see the oil filter its between the injector pump and back of the engine.

The sump pump may have just fallen apart, they often do. If you unscrew the cap the shaft goes through you will probably find the washer, a ball valve, possibly a light spring and a bottom piece in the bottom of the pump.

The Pella will be fine with   warm/hot oil.

The engine fuel filter is the thing with the oil pressure switch under it. If you take the centre bolt right out but keep the base pushed up against the element it comes out easily with a bit of a wiggle.

The cylindrical thing on the left is a fuel filter if there is writing on the centre section but it is acting as an agglomerate (water trap) If there is no writing then its a sedimentor    and still a water trap. It has nothing but an inverted cone inside.