Build own shell

Lifeforliving

Featured Posts

How is the drive arranged in a narrow boat type stern wheeler?  Assuming something like a "Radicon" style reduction gear. 

Also, presumably the rudder blade only directs a part of the wash, is that correct? Do they steer okay?

3 hours ago, NB Esk said:

How is the drive arranged in a narrow boat type stern wheeler?  Assuming something like a "Radicon" style reduction gear. 

Also, presumably the rudder blade only directs a part of the wash, is that correct? Do they steer okay?

I doubt there are enough stern wheeler narrowboats for there to be standard drive, bit I recall Jethro Tull was chain driven to a large sprocket at one end of the paddle wheel.  Steering was by two rudders linked together in a parallelogram fashion and operated by a tiller that reached over the stern wheel.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

I doubt there are enough stern wheeler narrowboats for there to be standard drive, bit I recall Jethro Tull was chain driven to a large sprocket at one end of the paddle wheel.  Steering was by two rudders linked together in a parallelogram fashion and operated by a tiller that reached over the stern wheel.

Interesting, thanks.  Now trying to visualise how to make the slot/ holes for the chain watertight but yes, can see how the linked rudders would work.

2 hours ago, NB Esk said:

Now trying to visualise how to make the slot/ holes for the chain watertight

No need.  A chain drive can be routed well out of the water.  You don't want the chain in the water anyway,  It needs lubrication, not drowning.  Only the paddle blades are in the water, any deeper and you are wasting power.  Think mill wheel in reverse:

Wheel-undershot[1].jpg

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

All above the water line, surely.

Wouldn't imagine anyone thinking it might be below the water line but won't there be holes through the hull, right next to a splashing paddle wheel?, especially in astern.

1 hour ago, NB Esk said:

Wouldn't imagine anyone thinking it might be below the water line but won't there be holes through the hull, right next to a splashing paddle wheel?, especially in astern.

not necessarily - if the boat is designed as a stern-wheeler ..................  although the only reason anyone would want to do that is to control or navigate through surface vegetation.

Just now, Murflynn said:

not necessarily - if the boat is designed as a stern-wheeler ..................  although the only reason anyone would want to do that is to control or navigate through surface vegetation.

The other, obvious reason would be that you are making an existing pontoon into a boat, as is the case with the stern wheelers under discussion here! 

What's wrong with installing a complete tractor in a narrow boat. Ferguson T20 would do. With the back wheels removed to fit paddles instead. You'll  then have a complete unit ready to go, no messing about. Engine, steering wheel, hooter and of course the seemingly sought after iron tractor seat, the cold thing that can bring on piles.

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The other, obvious reason would be that you are making an existing pontoon into a boat, as is the case with the stern wheelers under discussion here! 

can't see why - easier just to hang an outboard off the back.

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

What's wrong with installing a complete tractor in a narrow boat. Ferguson T20 would do. With the back wheels removed to fit paddles instead. You'll  then have a complete unit ready to go, no messing about. Engine, steering wheel, hooter and of course the seemingly sought after iron tractor seat, the cold thing that can bring on piles.

I remember seing a full length wooden butty motorised in that fashion back in the 70s. Rear wheel drive car back axle cut into the stern, original car wheels with paddle blades welded on, car propshaft, engine and gearbox installed in the boat all in the same relative positions as in the car. Probably had three forward gears too!

4 hours ago, NB Esk said:

won't there be holes through the hull, right next to a splashing paddle wheel?,

That is one reason that my design has the engine/gearbox above the paddle wheel.  No holes whatever in the hull.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

the only reason anyone would want to do that is to control or navigate through surface vegetation.

Also means you can go on very shallow lengths, without wrecking your propeller.

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

easier just to hang an outboard off the back.

Fuel consumption, weeding up, and just looks wrong.

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

What's wrong with installing a complete tractor in a narrow boat. Ferguson T20 would do

Even a Fergie would be heavy and need ballast in the bows, then you have a hogging situation.  You could use a Field Marshall and pretend it's a Bollinder. shake everything to pieces.

6 hours ago, catweasel said:

In the case of a paddle driven boat, is it easier or harder to stop than a propeller driven boat?

Mine didn't have astern, but just stopping the paddle wheel seemed to achieve a rapid halt.

29 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Mine didn't have astern, but just stopping the paddle wheel seemed to achieve a rapid halt.

A water brake! I like the idea.