Build own shell

Lifeforliving

Featured Posts

A  couple more shorties from my pics.
I imagine that the square pontoon bow will be more stable and offer greater space within a shorter boat?

DSCF1240.JPG

DSCF2788.JPG

57 minutes ago, catweasel said:

A  couple more shorties from my pics.
I imagine that the square pontoon bow will be more stable and offer greater space within a shorter boat?

DSCF1240.JPG

DSCF2788.JPG

are those continuous cruisers? 

.............................  coat ..............................  :boat:

We saw a really tiny narrowboat outside the Lime Kilns on the Ashby many years ago. I think from memory it was 12ft. Its shape was similar to a coracle - it was all swim. The bed (which almost filled the cabin) folded up into a seat and a hob folded down from the wall.  Fwd of the ‘cabin’ was the toilet & shower. Motive power came from a tiny little two stroke outboard. I asked the owners how much they used it and they informed me they lived on it and had just travelled down from Liverpool. It never had to wind, it could simply spin in its own length. 

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

We saw a really tiny narrowboat outside the Lime Kilns on the Ashby many years ago. I think from memory it was 12ft. Its shape was similar to a coracle - it was all swim. The bed (which almost filled the cabin) folded up into a seat and a hob folded down from the wall.  Fwd of the ‘cabin’ was the toilet & shower. Motive power came from a tiny little two stroke outboard. I asked the owners how much they used it and they informed me they lived on it and had just travelled down from Liverpool. It never had to wind, it could simply spin in its own length. 

I would love to see that. Hopefully somebody will come up with a pic or two :)

2 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I would love to see that. Hopefully somebody will come up with a pic or two :)

I ‘think’ I took a photo (real film, before all this digital nonsense) but sadly I’ve failed to find it over the years. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

I ‘think’ I took a photo (real film, before all this digital nonsense) but sadly I’ve failed to find it over the years. 

I still use (and prefer) film when in the mood (not as easy since moving aboard.). Some of my digital EOS  glassware fits on an old Canon EOS film body, bought for  99p off Ebay and works beautifully! 
Digital is great when living aboard though :)

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

I still use (and prefer) film when in the mood (not as easy since moving aboard.). Some of my digital EOS  glassware fits on an old Canon EOS film body, bought for  99p off Ebay and works beautifully! 
Digital is great when living aboard though :)

I find the camera you use makes a massive difference to the artistic attractiveness of photos one takes. My Pentax K1000 took wonderful fotos but when I upgraded to a Pentax ME (which took the same lenses) it all fell apart so I regressed to the K1000. 

Similarly with phone cameras. My Iphone 8 takes simply spectacular photos compared to all the previous iPhones or any digital cam I ever tried. I cannot explain why this is....

19 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I find the camera you use makes a massive difference to the artistic attractiveness of photos one takes. My Pentax K1000 took wonderful fotos but when I upgraded to a Pentax ME (which took the same lenses) it all fell apart so I regressed to the K1000. 

Similarly with phone cameras. My Iphone 8 takes simply spectacular photos compared to all the previous iPhones or any digital cam I ever tried. I cannot explain why this is....

Perhaps you are getting better with practice? ?

19 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Pentax K1000 :)  Never owned one but longed for one. If I ever see one in a secondhand shop for the right money..... Or a Nikon F4 will do.
Probably my best was a Canon T90, though the one I can't bear to part with is a Yashica SLR that I refurbished. Lovely little thing and dead simple.

On 17/07/2019 at 22:44, Lifeforliving said:

Thinking about a 21 foot nb.

I've just seen a 21 footer on ebay. The vendor has posted a number of pictures of the internal arrangements and it looks good inside. Perhaps handy for some ideas.

Take a look HERE. Selling for £11K. (I have no connection whatsoever with the seller!)

12 minutes ago, sans allumette said:

I've just seen a 21 footer on ebay. The vendor has posted a number of pictures of the internal arrangements and it looks good inside. Perhaps handy for some ideas.

Take a look HERE. Selling for £11K. (I have no connection whatsoever with the seller!)

That is a smart little NB. 

Made me think of this. This one was built entirely by the owner in 1970 when the canal at Lymm was breached. It used to look really smart. I recall that he built two. The builder/owner would now be in his late 90's. Very cute little NB.

DSCF4224.JPG

my boats only 23ft and has everything you would need including shower, hot and cold water and sleeps 4 and also a 3 pot engine inboard..  its surprising what will go in a little boat if thought out properly...

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, crosser said:

my boats only 23ft and has everything you would need including shower, hot and cold water and sleeps 4 and also a 3 pot engine inboard..  its surprising what will go in a little boat if thought out properly...

Any pics? :)

Moored up today opposite a little 20' outboard powered steel NB.  Was a lovely thing. Think the cabin side was about 10' ish long judging by the single window but space would go under its front and rear deck too. It sat correctly in the water and just looked very sweet. 

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:36, howardang said:

My initial thought is that a 21ft steel narrow boat is really, really small.

My boat was built on a 20 foot bridge pontoon, stern paddle drive. Perfectly OK for the two of us. Toilet compartment, proper kitchen (galley) cooker, sink, etc.

Cruised 2000 miles, then sold on and kept cruising.

earl 7.jpg

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

My boat was built on a 20 foot bridge pontoon, stern paddle drive. Perfectly OK for the two of us. Toilet compartment, proper kitchen (galley) cooker, sink, etc.

Cruised 2000 miles, then sold on and kept cruising.

earl 7.jpg

Brilliant pontoon boat! A long shot here, but I recall seeing a very similar boat in Practical Boat Owner when I was a sprog. Could it have been yours?

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, catweasel said:

Brilliant pontoon boat! A long shot here, but I recall seeing a very similar boat in Practical Boat Owner when I was a sprog. Could it have been yours?

Not that I know of.  At the time there were all sorts of pontoon conversions, mostly with outboards.

Stern-wheelers were rarer.  'Jethro Tull' is a well known one.  Another was 'Shoveller' at Thrupp.

Photo is of 'Jethro' (not mine).

jethro.JPG

8 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Not that I know of.  At the time there were all sorts of pontoon conversions, mostly with outboards.

Stern-wheelers were rarer.  'Jethro Tull' is a well known one.  Another was 'Shoveller' at Thrupp.

jethro.JPG

I have seen Jethro on the Llangollen.
There was definitely a stern wheel pontoon in PBO many years ago but can't remember exact details.
I recall a pontoon at Blackburn/Burnley area on L&L late 60's/early 70's with a CA Bedford van body for a cabin.
Pontoon boats have always appealed to me for some reason, though never owned one.

4 hours ago, catweasel said:

Any pics? :)

thumbnail_WolverhamptonTopLock.jpg

theres a paddle boat for sale on apollo duck at the moment...  chaps owned it since 1978..  strange looking thing

theres a paddle boat for sale on apollo duck at the moment...  chaps owned it since 1978..  strange looking thing

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

jethro.JPG

I seem to remember getting a good close look at the Jethro Tull a couple of decades ago, and deciding the stern wheel was a dummy, just dipping in the water and turning as a result of forward motion provided by other means. Not connected to an engine at all as far as I could see. 

Is my memory playing tricks? 

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I seem to remember getting a good close look at the Jethro Tull a couple of decades ago, and deciding the stern wheel was a dummy, just dipping in the water and turning as a result of forward motion provided by other means. Not connected to an engine at all as far as I could see. 

Is my memory playing tricks? 

Jethro Tull drove  through its stern wheel when we  followed it along the K & A the year Devizes re-opened (1990?).  It travelled at a good speed to - but it was noisy due to the paddle slapping the water. 

4 hours ago, Tacet said:

deciding the stern wheel was a dummy

No, 'Jethro', 'Shoveller' and my boat were driven solely by the sternwheel.  The advantage is in shallow, weedy waters.  No poking around in weed hatches.

Also, licence fees are based on length - you would not want to pay extra for a dummy wheel.

There are trip boats on the Thames with dummy stern wheels and Missisippi-type funnels.  Diesel driven. 

funnels.JPG