Gear box noise

Noggin

Featured Posts

We have an Isuzu  35hp with a mechanical PRM120 gearbox

Prior to a cruise to our new mooring, we went and filled with diesel.   putting into gear there was a worrying clang - we are used to an initial noise with the PRM120.  However no further problems until back at our moorings- as usual checked engine after use -oil bubbling out by gearbox filler - the nut was not properly tightened after servicing - I could open it with my fingers- I intend to carefully replace the lost oil (without overfilling) & make sure the filler nut is tight (but not too much)  after checking nothing round prop (shaft turns without any restriction) -  do I have anything to really worry about? - engine is serviced annually by boatyard/RCR    Thanks

Do your tightening and accurate refilling, then take it out for a couple of days.

If all is well, count your blessings.

If not voice your displeasure in the general direction of the klutz that didn't properly tighten the nut after its last service.

On 17/07/2019 at 22:20, Noggin said:

We have an Isuzu  35hp with a mechanical PRM120 gearbox

Prior to a cruise to our new mooring, we went and filled with diesel.   putting into gear there was a worrying clang - we are used to an initial noise with the PRM120.  However no further problems until back at our moorings- as usual checked engine after use -oil bubbling out by gearbox filler - the nut was not properly tightened after servicing - I could open it with my fingers- I intend to carefully replace the lost oil (without overfilling) & make sure the filler nut is tight (but not too much)  after checking nothing round prop (shaft turns without any restriction) -  do I have anything to really worry about? - engine is serviced annually by boatyard/RCR    Thanks

If I were you I would compain to RCR about the shoddy servicing and keep copy of your compaint & their reply. It might be helpful to have this info. if you have any problems with your gearbox so they can fix it.