Velvet Drive problem

Bump and Grind

Featured Posts

I have a BMC 1.5 married to a 71C Velvet Drive with a problem. The oil (ATF) is up to the mark on the dipstick but when I get to about 1500rpm oil comes out of the breather. Reducing revs stops this. Has anyone got any idea what is wrong and how can I solve it.

Is the gearbox oil cooler connected and properly cooled with cool water flow?

Never heard of this before but if its raw water cooled heat  exchanger on the pressure side of the pump has the oil gone pink. If so then maybe the oil cooler is holed.

Overfilling so the oil aerates might cause then but you say the level is correct. The thing I can't remember is if the level is with the plug screwed in or just lodged on the top of the hole.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is the gearbox oil cooler connected and properly cooled with cool water flow?

Never heard of this before but if its raw water cooled heat  exchanger on the pressure side of the pump has the oil gone pink. If so then maybe the oil cooler is holed.

Overfilling so the oil aerates might cause then but you say the level is correct. The thing I can't remember is if the level is with the plug screwed in or just lodged on the top of the hole.

Oil cooler is connected and cooled by the skin tanks, no leaks or holes. Oil is ATF so is red anyway. The dipstick is not a screw it’s a plug, it’s not original, so I’m not sure if it is even correct.

1 hour ago, Bump and Grind said:

Oil cooler is connected and cooled by the skin tanks, no leaks or holes. Oil is ATF so is red anyway. The dipstick is not a screw it’s a plug, it’s not original, so I’m not sure if it is even correct.

Yes. Velvetdrive dip sticks are on the end of what looks like an iron plumbers male blanking plug with a square to put the spanner on.

I did not ask you if the oil was red, I asked if it was punk and that indicatives water contamination.

Not sure how you can be so sure the oil cooler core is not leaking because that would not show on the outside but would show as pink (not red) oil or pinky oil in the engine header tank.

5 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

Are you sure that you have the correct dipstick? Only ever seen a similar thing when a gearbox was overfull

Not sure how to tell if its correct. The OP may very well have a reduction box on the end of the gearbox but I thought they all used the same oil. If it is separate then there is a good chance the dipsticks have been transposed Lister style.

I don’t see any trace of water in box or oil in the cooling system. The box (I believe) is quite early, the serial number is 7716, so the dipstick might be sortoff original. Someone else mentioned overfilling so I will take some oil out and retry this weekend.

The Velvet drive is also used with a torque converter,and for some reason some blow oil out the filler /breather....cure is to install a large capacity catch can ................Dexron can assume a pink colour when its aerated................with water its a very anaemic pink like a blancmange.....a pink one ......

20 hours ago, john.k said:

The Velvet drive is also used with a torque converter,and for some reason some blow oil out the filler /breather....cure is to install a large capacity catch can ................Dexron can assume a pink colour when its aerated................with water its a very anaemic pink like a blancmange.....a pink one ......

I can't say you are incorrect but I have never seen a torque converter on a UK inland boat. Borg Warner auto transmissions yes, but not with marine Velvet drives.

1 hour ago, john.k said:

Set one up....a paddle wheeler.....or sidewheeler to be more correct.......the tractor tranny shares most parts with the marine one.

You have a sidewheeler using Velvetdrives? 

Brilliant!!

Got any photos??