Winding at the top of Hatton Flight

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

I've used the winding hole between the flight and Hatton Station, but if I'm heading from Lapworth and I go past it and right to the top of the locks to moor and visit the Hatton Arms by boat, where can I wind to head back the way I came?

Thanks in advance. 

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

I've used the winding hole between the flight and Hatton Station, but if I'm heading from Lapworth and I go past it and right to the top of the locks to moor and visit the Hatton Arms by boat, where can I wind to head back the way I came?

Thanks in advance. 

With a bit of prior knowledge you can wind a 70' boat opposite the cafe but you have to get the bow in exactly the right place. Otherwise you need to go down to the pound above the bridge

Richard

Thank you both - I suspected there'd be a little windlass action involved.  Previously I've only either decended or ascended and kept going so I hadn't been looking for a winding opportunity.  There's nothing on Nicholsons,  but I wasn't sure whether there was a trade secret such as Richard's suggestion so, as I'm only 57', I might give the cafe option a go... if there's few witnesses! :D

Winding in the pound by the cafe causes a few vollies to run around a bit. A couple of years ago we were locking down and waited for a hire boat to join us, when asked where they were heading they told me Stratford as they thought they could rejoin the Avon. When I pointed out they couldn't I helped them wind their 70' hire boat in the pound which was tight, the volunteer locky said we couldn't turn there.