Piling hooks not allowed by insurer!

F-P

Featured Posts

I've been discussing mooring arrangements four our narrowboat on the Macclesfield canal with the insurer - one of the major names - and I was really surprised when they mailed to tell me the boat would not be insured if we used piling hooks other than "temporarily" at our home mooring. This isn't mentioned in the policy wording, and I thought people should know!

On our towpath mooring string the ring spacing doesn't match the boat lengths/positions so most are attached with the hooks, and of course the CRT website for some locations suggests the use of hooks or pins. So I imagine that isn't unusual.

The ring spacing isn't great for us either - so I've asked them to clarify if chains are acceptable.

If you use hooks you might want to check with your insurer.

Edited by F-P
clarification

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think I would leave my boat long term on hooks or pins

I'd had my doubts as well - I've been tying to the hooks and then taking longer ropes out to the rings but as the site gets more congested I was starting to feel anti social for the long ropes and lazy given the other boats are just on the pins. So I thought I'd check with the insurer...

Edited by F-P
clarification

21 minutes ago, F-P said:

they mailed to tell me the boat would not be insured if we used piling hooks other than "temporarily" at our home mooring. This isn't mentioned in the policy wording,

Is that enforceable since it is not in your Policy??

Obviously UK vs US law is different. But if it is not in the policy it can't be enforced here. Well, without advance notice and a new policy.

25 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Please name names.

If it applies to one I imagine it applies to many... but in this case GJW. In other respects I've found them excellent so far but I'm glad I thought to ask this question.

25 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Be interesting to know which Macc mooring, too. 

If you'll forgive me I don't like to be too specific on the interwebs. More toward the Marple end.

2 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

Is that enforceable since it is not in your Policy??

Obviously UK vs US law is different. But if it is not in the policy it can't be enforced here. Well, without advance notice and a new policy.

Good question, I don't know, I'd rather not find out...

9 minutes ago, Detling said:

Goat chains. Can't be shaken or snatched out.

Also much quieter no clank clank as boat moves.

That damned bleating can get on one's nerves though.

That sounds entirely reasonable to me and I wouldn't be surprised if there's an incident/claim behind this policy.

But surely common sense dictates you wouldn't leave a boat long term just secured by piling hooks? 

3 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

That sounds entirely reasonable to me and I wouldn't be surprised if there's an incident/claim behind this policy.

But surely common sense dictates you wouldn't leave a boat long term just secured by piling hooks? 

My policy states that you are not insured if you (or the person in charge at the time) takes any reckless action.

Failure to moor correctly could be considered reckless.

If it is not in writing in the policy, it is not enforceable. Piling hooks are a common and normal way to moor a boat and so could not be considered “reckless”. Personally I would always use chains though. And anyway, even if you did use mooring hooks and one did come undone, what is the worst that could happen? If you boat goes on fire/sinks/is stolen and happens to have been on hooks, it would not be a valid reason to refuse the claim. If it was on hooks on a river in flood, well possibly.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I don't know how you use your piling hooks but once set mine don't move or clank.

Mine do if the water level changes and alters the tension I set when mooring up.

I'd never leave the boat only tied on piling hooks, always at least one chain if moored against piling.

Happily leave it on pins though, because I use long sturdy pins, crossed if I am intending to stay a while.

I wouldn't leave a boat on hooks for more than a few hours obviously.  I frequently tighten the ropes if they show signs of losening so any clanks don't last long so I wouldn't really say they clank, apart from if I wasn't there to tighten them.  I have never had one come lose.

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I wouldn't leave a boat on hooks for more than a few hours obviously.  I frequently tighten the ropes if they show signs of losening so any clanks don't last long so I wouldn't really say they clank, apart from if I wasn't there to tighten them.  I have never had one come lose.

I think that's the whole point of the OP!  They are okay for a lunchtime stop, but you wouldn't leave the boat on them longer term ...

Nappy pins are designed to make the maximum noise when passing a moored boat at minimum speed.

Then said Moorer can justify shouting to "Slow Down".

Goat chains for us .

I have one nappy pin though. Holds the boat by the centre line when I moor up single handed. 

7 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Nappy pins are designed to make the maximum noise when passing a moored boat at minimum speed.

Then said Moorer can justify shouting to "Slow Down".

Goat chains for us .

I have one nappy pin though. Holds the boat by the centre line when I moor up single handed. 

That's the one! Loose ropes fore and aft on nappy pins, and a nice tight centre line on a nappy pin. When a boat creeps past quietly, the moored boat rolls violently then the owner can appear on deck, hands firmly on hips, shouting about how he has kids on board playing with containers of boiling water.

6 minutes ago, catweasel said:

That's the one! Loose ropes fore and aft on nappy pins, and a nice tight centre line on a nappy pin. When a boat creeps past quietly, the moored boat rolls violently then the owner can appear on deck, hands firmly on hips, shouting about how he has kids on board playing with containers of boiling water.

It's okay though, as they have usually left a 25 foot gap to the next boat, so the draw back and forward doesn't hit the one other boat on the 3 boat visitor mooring!