Dodgey Bilge Pump ?

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

Recently purchased a narrow boat and am going through all the thinks I think I should know/understand (prepare for more).

I investigated the location of the bilge pump as I wanted to ensure it was working. The main switch for it has a red light which I thought should be lit when the rocker switch is set to 'Automatic' but it's not.

When I changed the switch to 'Manual' nothing happened - I would have thought it would fire up and reassure you it's working ?

I got under the floor to find the bilge pump and when I lifted the float it did indeed fire into life. 

Should it only work on 'Manual' when the float is elevated ? How can you ever test it without getting on your hands and knees and groping through a hole ?

Hope my ramblings make sense.

I agree is should do what you are thinking. But sounds/guessing that no one took the trouble to wire it that way.

My guess is they have a positive  lead to the float switch and the switch is tied to the pump.  For it to work in manual they would need another positive lead that attached to the pump, bypassing the switch. That is how I would have wired it.

Edited by Kudzucraft

5 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Should it only work on 'Manual' when the float is elevated ?

Nope. Manual means just that: manual operation. Auto means ‘when the float switch operates’. But as Kudzu points out it must be wired up correctly, and the switch must not be faulty. If you have three wires going to the pump and three wires on the switch then it’s probably wired correctly so the switch is suspect. If either the switch or pump has only two wires then it’s wired incorrectly. 

I have a bilge pump switch with auto and manual settings. But there is no float switch and it is wired up so that you switch to auto and the pump runs continuously, whether or not there is any water in the bilges. The manual option does nothing.

21 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

(snip)

The main switch for it has a red light which I thought should be lit when the rocker switch is set to 'Automatic' but it's not.

(snip)

The red light usually only comes on when the pump runs. Useful warning if it fires up on auto when you're not expecting it!