Winding hole lengths

NB_Ladybird

Featured Posts

Does anyone know of any maps or data sheets which gives details of winding hole lengths ?

we have just upgraded to a 65ft narrowboat and so not so easy to turn as the old 36ft boat. 

Were based on the Worcester & Birmingham canal at Droitwich Spa Marina 

Why not get a set of J M Pearons Canal Companions or maybe Nicholson Waterrways Guides.

Most boaters have a set of one or the other or even both!

Although I don't beleave the Nicholsons state the sizes. If i am right then get the Pearsons instead!

Nipper

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, nipper said:

Why not get a set of J M Pearons Canal Companions or maybe Nicholson Waterrways Guides.

Most boaters have a set of one or the other or even both!

Although I don't beleave the Nicholsons state the sizes. If i am right then get the Pearsons instead!

Nipper

I think that Pearson's does, but all ours are on the boat so I can't check.

Nicholsons Guides only show winding holes that are supposed to be sufficient to wind a 70 footer.

My experience is that they are often not long enough, and not deep enough on the offside, so even winding a 48 footer can be fun. On the other hand there are several winding holes that are not shown at all.

Junctions are always long enough, though, and they don't disappear!

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

Junctions are always long enough, though, and they don't disappear!

I was about to make a similar point, though I'm not familiar with that part of the system and thus not sure how far the O.P. would need to go to reach a junction.

46 minutes ago, NB_Ladybird said:

Does anyone know of any maps or data sheets which gives details of winding hole lengths ?

we have just upgraded to a 65ft narrowboat and so not so easy to turn as the old 36ft boat. 

Were based on the Worcester & Birmingham canal at Droitwich Spa Marina 

They are wildly inaccurate, local knowledge is needed. Many many many over the country are different to what they say. Just as a for instance Lower Heyford cleeves is signed as 60 feet and reality is 71ft 6 inches.  There are many instances similar, same with lock lengths.

38 minutes ago, NB_Ladybird said:

Thanks for the info. Even signed is better than nothing but from what I’ve seen none on the W/B even have signs on them to say there “so say “ length 

Usualy........but not always if they are not signed re length they will accomodate full length boats.

We have just turned our 60ft in the winding hole at Bridge 91 on the Huddersfield, above Stalybridge. It is supposed to take full length and at the surface is larger than many we have used on other canals. Alas, it proved to have the standard Huddersfield depth! We did make after a couple of thousand little forward and backward moves!

Silting is the big issue, does not matter how long the winding hole is on the waterline if you cant get the front of the boat into it. So, the depth of your boat will be a big factor over which winding holes you can use, you just have to go and try them out. I know one where we could just get round if the water tank was less than half full but suspect that one is no good now.....unless a local deep boat has started to make regular use of it.

Another factor is how hard you are willing to try...will you drive the front well up into the silt and then pull the back round on a rope???

................Dave

According to my old Nicholsons for the South Oxford all winding holes identified are suitable for full length boats unless 

otherwise noted when the maximum length will be noted. Marsden Doles is shown as being 50' max . I have turned my 55 footer there JUST

Edited by Slim

Lots of useful information provided here thanks to all who have responded. We have the entire UK canal network of Nicholson’s and none of them give you Winding Hole lengths. 

The sad news is the last things to be part of the CRT programme of works is the upkeep of these. 

I actually have a laser measure I keep on the boat so I’ll probably use that as an initial guide by walking up to the Winding Hole and take a measurement first. 

Its more a case of not getting stuck and not washing up too much swell putting the engine into forward and reverse. 

I may even raise the topic direct with CRT 

2 hours ago, NB_Ladybird said:

Lots of useful information provided here thanks to all who have responded. We have the entire UK canal network of Nicholson’s and none of them give you Winding Hole lengths. 

The sad news is the last things to be part of the CRT programme of works is the upkeep of these. 

I actually have a laser measure I keep on the boat so I’ll probably use that as an initial guide by walking up to the Winding Hole and take a measurement first. 

Its more a case of not getting stuck and not washing up too much swell putting the engine into forward and reverse. 

I may even raise the topic direct with CRT 

Does your laser work underwater, as pointed out above thats the bit that counts

1 minute ago, NB_Ladybird said:

No laser does not work under water. I know where that’s leading towards though. The main thing is a rough guess of the size of the winding hole. 

95% + on the surface are big enough to wind the maximum length of boat that uses that waterway, a majorities that are any smaller will have a notice given what is considered the maximum length

36 minutes ago, NB_Ladybird said:

No laser does not work under water. I know where that’s leading towards though. The main thing is a rough guess of the size of the winding hole. 

Don’t over complicate it. Just go and try it. What’s the worst that can happen?

JP

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, NB_Ladybird said:

I know what you mean. It’s probably just me being a bit of a OCD boater I guess lol. 

How many places will you realistically want to wind? As a minimum you shouldn’t have any problem being able to wind at;-

Diglis

Tibberton

Hanbury Jn

Stoke Prior

Tardebigge New Wharf

Alvechurch (x3 ish)

Kings Norton

Selly Oak

The Vale

Salvage Turn

OK those above Tardebigge perhaps aren’t in the area where you were thinking of cruising. I can’t really see why you would go past Tibberton unless you were heading into Worcester. The key thing is that if you turn left at Hanbury I suspect you’ll be doing 11 locks before you can wind at Stoke Prior. Don’t be put off by the Black Prince boats that are often moored in the winding hole.

JP

1 hour ago, NB_Ladybird said:

Thanks for that. We tend to do a day trip out or at least 2 days. So tend to head towards Worcester. I know there’s a winding hole near Dumhamstead but I think that one may be a bit small for 65ft 

That is supposedly a full length winding hole, what its like in practice I dont know

On 16/07/2019 at 15:26, Machpoint005 said:

Nicholsons Guides only show winding holes that are supposed to be sufficient to wind a 70 footer.

I thought they showed the length if under 72'.  If you look at the Nicholsons Guide for Grand Union (Northampton Arm) the winding hole at the Northampton end of the arm is marked "65' Max" on the map.  I can confirm this as true since we managed to wind there (just!) at 64' :)