Sheffield Canal - lock size

Cyclel1fe

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I'm new here.

About to buy a boat/build and wondered if anyone has knowledge whether or not a 62 foot boat will fit (diagonally) into the locks from the Trent through to the Victoria Quay in Sheffield?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Cyclel1fe

The locks have strong currents in them unless worked very carefully. They were designed for Sheffield size Humber Keels, not narrowboats. There are also projecting walkways on the bottom gates over the chamber that can trap boats beneath them. The cills are curved, again to accommodate wide beam keels, with the longest region in the middle, so going diagonally means putting the boat in the centre of the top gates, not full diagonal across. Similar to doing the Calder & Hebble locks in a 60' NB. The Tinsley locks are also full time CaRT staff keeper operated, so you'll have to convince them it is OK to take your long boat through diagonally. They are going to get the blame if you end up sinking, so don't be surprised if they were to say no. Personally I wouldn't take a narrowboat longer than 60' through them. Maybe a foot more at the outside. The locks have no bywashes, so excess water goes over the gates. Longer boats can get flooded as a result.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

You cannot convince them, I've tried, they will only let Sheffield size boats up, due to liability also insurance as it is their responsibility with it being manned. 

More'n my jobsworth is true here. They are not going to risk it. I vaguely recall some years back someone bought a boat longer than 60' to moor at the basin in Sheffield and couldn't use the Tinsley flight. Can't remember if it was craned in and he couldn't leave, or if he couldn't get there from the rest of the system. Did a search, but couldn't find it, but I think it is on CWDF somewhere.

Jen

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

You will not fit a 62ft into the Basin, it is full so I don't know where he is getting moorings

<pedant>He doesn't actually say he plans to get a mooring there. He is only enquiring if a 62' boat can get there</pedant>

Perhaps he just wants to visit, turn round and come back? ?

20 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

<pedant>He doesn't actually say he plans to get a mooring there. He is only enquiring if a 62' boat can get there</pedant>

Perhaps he just wants to visit, turn round and come back? ?

Yes true, just making him aware before he has a 62ft boat built and was thinking about mooring it at Victoria Quays even if he tried craning it in. 

Edited by PD1964

On 16/07/2019 at 13:17, PD1964 said:

You cannot convince them, I've tried, they will only let Sheffield size boats up, due to liability also insurance as it is their responsibility with it being manned. 

I met a couple on a visiting boat once who were 64’ long and had come up the locks without problems. To get around the lockies reluctance to try anything that length they simply said they were 60’ and went for it. 

Pleasant as they are, the keepers have definitely turned into jobsworths over the last 10 years. When I moored in the basin you could “rent” a key for the paddle gear at Tinsley and let yourself down, a massive help in summer when their starting time of 9am means half a lost day. I used to do Sheffield to Thorne or even Keadby in a long day, not possible if you’re hanging around the top lock mid morning while they finish a cup of tea. 

That must of been a long time ago, over 10 years I imagine, as not much more then 60ft has been in a long time. To be honest I don't know why he is getting a 62ft as can't go many places up North and very few moorings available if he's planning on keeping it up North. OK on the majority of the Southern network but limited North.

Edited by PD1964

Yes it was a good few years back. That was the good old days when the lock keeper used to meet you on a knackered old scooter, take the locks off and leave you to get on with it. I remember coming back up on summer evenings well after their day had finished, you just had to close everything up behind you. 

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:03, PD1964 said:

Have you checked moorings there? As it is full, please don't just assume you will get moorings there

I'm planning a trip to Sheffield in a month's time.  When you say there are no moorings, I'm hoping you're talking about permanent ones, but that there will still be room for visitors?

33 minutes ago, Fatjoff said:

I'm planning a trip to Sheffield in a month's time.  When you say there are no moorings, I'm hoping you're talking about permanent ones, but that there will still be room for visitors?

There are visitor moorings at the basin. Not many and you may end up moored alongside someone. The basin is run by CV Marine these days. I wouldn't moor anywhere else. Urban area and the problems that can give.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

58 minutes ago, Fatjoff said:

Yes there are visitor moorings on the right hand side as you enter they are clearly marked. There are no visitor moorings past the swing bridge unless you have booked them through C.V Marine in advance. Sheffield is not that big and because how the moorings are laid out people think they can moor anywhere, this is not the case due to security and boats being able to move off and on their allocated moorings. Please remember it is a Private Marina as CaRT have gone a bit mad with their new branding for the 200th Anniversary in Sept confusing and causing visiting boaters to think it's a CaRT Marina when actually it is fully controlled by C.V Marine. Just give them a ring a week or so before and you'll be fine.